Remove Advertisements

[Shockadin] What exactly is a Shockadin?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Shockadin] What exactly is a Shockadin?

Postby Drexanna » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:51 am

I keep hearing the name "Shockadin", but what does it actually mean? Are they any good? Do they work well for soloing older content? What gear do they use? What are the must-have talents?

Just curious :D
Drexanna

Re: [Shockadin] What exactly is a Shockadin?

Postby Jasari » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 am

It's a PvP hybrid holy/ret spec, something along the lines of http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sEAzxh0sVzZZVfMxrIzMzh

The key talents are picking up holy shock and repentance to give you some offensive utility and decent healing abilities. It was most popular during the first arena season of WotLK but has popped up in the arena from time to time over the years.
Jasari

Postby Baelor » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:19 am

Drexanna wrote:I keep hearing the name "Shockadin", but what does it actually mean? Are they any good? Do they work well for soloing older content? What gear do they use? What are the must-have talents?

Just curious :D

It's a hybrid dps/healing spec, mostly used in PvP, that I advise you forget you heard about.

They use spell gear, Holy Shock, Judgement, Avenging Wrath, Hammer of Wrath, and Consecration coupled with healing spells to burst opponents with holy damage and keep their teammate alive.

It will catch lower-bracket arena players off-guard, but if you get into a competitive environment, you'll probably get your a$$ handed to you.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:49 am

On this subject, I've been wondering if early Cataclysm will see a revival of the Shockadin. With 5 extra talent points and trees not getting deeper, it'll be possible to pick up Holy Shock and Crusader Strike in the same build.

(It'll also be possible for Druids to spec Tree and Moonkin in one talent build.)
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Baelor » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:52 am

KysenMurrin wrote:On this subject, I've been wondering if early Cataclysm will see a revival of the Shockadin. With 5 extra talent points and trees not getting deeper, it'll be possible to pick up Holy Shock and Crusader Strike in the same build.

(It'll also be possible for Druids to spec Tree and Moonkin in one talent build.)

Unless they shuffle the trees.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby blakk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:57 am

I expect them to shuffle the trees for balance purposes.
blakk

Postby Flex » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:29 am

The build's moment in the sun was during TBC. With the movement towards re-balancing most Paladin abilities to AP/SP scaling from SP scaling it took the punch out of a lot of Shockadin damage moves.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Argali » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:41 pm

For me, the true definition of a shockadin was the 1 shot coordinated burst kill back when judgement was not on the GCD :P
Argali

Postby Kelaan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Yep. Get them medium-low with consecrate, then stun the healer and wings+holy shock+judgement (I forget the proper order). In TBC, that was enough to gib someone when you had two people doing it. You were basically geared as a healer, too, I think, so the pair had some longevity.
Kelaan

Postby Argali » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:31 pm

Kelaan wrote:Yep. Get them medium-low with consecrate, then stun the healer and wings+holy shock+judgement (I forget the proper order). In TBC, that was enough to gib someone when you had two people doing it. You were basically geared as a healer, too, I think, so the pair had some longevity.

Since using wings, trinkets and judgement was not on the GCD, you just made a 1 button macro that turned on everything, then cast judgement and holy shock at the end(in any order). Then you just ran around healing yourself until all your trinkets and cooldowns were available again.
Argali

Postby Kelaan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:42 pm

Exactly. With two of them (and in2v2) it was usually enough to finish off that other person, or as a surprise "gotcha!" if you were paired with a DPS player.

.... I could never manage to do it, didn't have any good healing gear at the time. :D
Kelaan

Postby sherck » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:26 am

I was a Shockadin for PvE play to do daily quests and solo older content until recently. In mostly 226/232 level Holy gear, I could pump out about 1.4k DPS with fantastic survivability.

I then got two drops of Ret gear, decided I was bored with Shockadin and built a fairly bad Ret set (mostly level 200 rares/epics with a couple of 187 rares in there) and immediatly started doing 2.5k DPS and stretched it to 3.5k DPS once I actually glyphs and talented correctly and downloarded clcret addon.

And I still have good solo survivability.

Bottom line is that Shockadin is dead for any purpose. I was one though all of TBC and most of WoTLK for solo play and will never go back.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Keannor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:24 am

I was a shockadin on TBC. It was amazing !!!

Really easy to burst down your enemies... But, in the end of TBC, the shuffle of talent trees killed all the power of the shockadins.
Keannor

Postby Kelaan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:22 pm

sherck wrote:I ... will never go back.

I admit, as much as I love tanking, I really like Ret's instant flashes of light.
Kelaan

Postby Pala » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Here is a video of the old Shockadin build in action. I always liked it for the music. The build was fun to blast people apart with in pvp until they changed Holy Shock near 2.3 or something.
http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview ... 1&stream=0
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes