Remove Advertisements

Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:53 pm

So instead I should support the Citadel Council who had no qualms whatsoever about the genocide they committed upon the Rachni, sterilizing the Krogan TWICE. Or the Alliance who is responsible for hundred of thousands of deaths of kids just so they could get biotics?

Or perhaps I should support the Quarians who seem willing to play God.

Cerberus isn't perfect but I don't make any illusion that any government is "good" as people seem to naively think.

Also, Cerberus shows that it is willing to do whatever it takes to advance the human agenda - so being loyal to Cerberus for me would only work if you are roleplaying a human supremacist Shepard.

Cerberus shows that it is willing to do whatever it takes to stop the reapers, no red tape, no bullshit poltics, no questions about your methods. Perhaps you should take that in mind.

Apparently Paragons believe that brain washing some geth, even though sapient beings, is the moral choice to do, but giving a base to Cerberus, which contains only tech data is wrong? WTF is that bullshit thinking?
Io.Draco

Postby Aelissa » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:46 pm

I think you're getting too worked up over this.
Aelissa

Postby Vanifae » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:39 pm

I had sex with Tali.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Solare » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Io.Draco wrote:So instead I should support the Citadel Council who had no qualms whatsoever about the genocide they committed upon the Rachni, sterilizing the Krogan TWICE. Or the Alliance who is responsible for hundred of thousands of deaths of kids just so they could get biotics?

Or perhaps I should support the Quarians who seem willing to play God.

Cerberus isn't perfect but I don't make any illusion that any government is "good" as people seem to naively think.

Also, Cerberus shows that it is willing to do whatever it takes to advance the human agenda - so being loyal to Cerberus for me would only work if you are roleplaying a human supremacist Shepard.

Cerberus shows that it is willing to do whatever it takes to stop the reapers, no red tape, no bullshit poltics, no questions about your methods. Perhaps you should take that in mind.

Apparently Paragons believe that brain washing some geth, even though sapient beings, is the moral choice to do, but giving a base to Cerberus, which contains only tech data is wrong? WTF is that bullshit thinking?

And Cerberus thought it'd be a good idea to try and turn thorian creepers and rachni into slave troopers. Oh, and let's not even talk about Project Zero, the preliminary course before the team went to the Alliance and caused all those child deaths you mentioned. Bottom line: no one is perfect.

The Council? Can't get anything done, always out-source their problems. This can be both good and bad.

The Alliance: Too harsh to get by without innocent casualties, too meek to really get the job done effectively.

Cerberus: Are really the 'any means necessary' kind of people. While you can't argue with their results, they often don't take the time to seek out alternative, but equally effective, measures.

And brainwashing the Geth may seem draconic in our minds, but really, you're saving countless 'lives' over what is literally explained to be a computer glitch. It doesn't take a lot of philosophical debate over the noble choice there. Plus, you're not guaranteed Geth allegiance, and you're adding directly to the strength of their society. Being a Paragon means not always doing things that work in your favor.

And what exactly, given their track record and value placed on sapient life, what do you think Cerberus is going to do with a space station that liquifies living beings and turns them into neigh' indestructible starships? The only question in the Elusive Man's mind would be whether or not it's loyalty can be acquired. That would be the ONLY obstacle for Cerberus, and perhaps the logistics of harvesting hundreds of thousands of sapients. I bet he would reconstruct the Harvester ship and pretend it was their work. Targeting the colonies of alien races in the Terminus systems and beyond if it was necessary.
Solare

Postby Aelissa » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:32 am

So, Vanifae...

Did you, by chance, have any luck yet with getting to spend the night with Tali?
Aelissa

Postby Harlequina » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:46 am

Definately one of the best RPGs ever made. Note: ONE of the best. There's so many... But this one did feel very "polished" and right, so to speak.
Harlequina

Postby Vanifae » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:12 am

Aelissa wrote:So, Vanifae...

Did you, by chance, have any luck yet with getting to spend the night with Tali?

Maybe.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby rathe » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:47 am

Joker and his computer wife were some of my favorite parts of the game. That or Joker's opinions of the crew. Of course, I wont lie, I love Seth Green. Though there were so many good parts. The Salarian's Bachelor party. The Quarian/Turian "friends" that I could relate to from High school and possibly would have persuaded me towards Tali if I wasn't already...
Snake-Aes wrote:Well... sometimes being obnoxious works.
http://us.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&cn=Bloodrathe&gn=Nidh%C3%B6gg
rathe
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:57 pm

rathe wrote:That or Joker's opinions of the crew.

"So, Jack's crazy. I'm glad we got that sorted out, it was just hangin' there."
Arcand

Postby Vanifae » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:02 am

I wrote a small review of the Mass Effect 2 OST with a few youtube links to some of my fave songs:

http://www.vanifae.com/2010/03/29/mass- ... st-review/

Good stuff if you like music.
Vanifae

Postby Dorvan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:35 am

Just finished...definitely not *the best* RPG I've ever played, not nearly, but that's not really a knock on it...it was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Apparently I suck at keeping people alive though, my casualty list:

Miranda
Mordin
Tali
Thane
Zaeed

Oh, and as far as then end...I chose to save the station. Yes, I fully expect TIM to try to dick me over (again, imo) at some point...but understanding reaper technology could be very important to winning this war, and I wasn't about to pass up on that opportunity. I don't trust TIM one bit, I simply think I can outmaneuver him in the end.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:43 am

ME2's still my favourite video game RPG since KotoR/KotoR 2. I just started my third playthrough to get the stink of Dragon Age: Awakening out of my mouth.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:36 am

Dorvan wrote:Just finished...definitely not *the best* RPG I've ever played, not nearly, but that's not really a knock on it...it was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Apparently I suck at keeping people alive though, my casualty list:

Miranda
Mordin
Tali
Thane
Zaeed

Oh, and as far as then end...I chose to save the station. Yes, I fully expect TIM to try to dick me over (again, imo) at some point...but understanding reaper technology could be very important to winning this war, and I wasn't about to pass up on that opportunity. I don't trust TIM one bit, I simply think I can outmaneuver him in the end.

Jesus you lost quite a bit...
Vanifae

Postby ulushnar » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:01 am

Slightly Spoilery guide to making everyone live:

1. Get all the ship upgrades (well you can skip the med bay, the probes and the fuel capacity boost, but you'll lose one squad member for each other upgrade undone).

2. Do all the loyalty missions you can. (Note, the only one I failed in two playthroughs was Zaeed's, when I took the obvious Paragon option.)

3. When assigning operatives for the extra assignments at the collector base, pick people whose loyalty you have secured. If you get someone commenting that your choice is bad, choose someone else.

4. ????
5. Profit.
Last edited by ulushnar on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:05 am

Zaeed's loyalty can be secured even with the Paragon path.

Best choices are pretty obvious for all the roles, Miranda gives you mostly bad advice besides saying she is a good leader. Do not beleive her when she says any biotic can make the shield.

Also yeah upgrade the ship.
Vanifae

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games