Remove Advertisements

Geez! My Ret DPS is bad!

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: Geez! My Ret DPS is bad!

Postby Haberjinx » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:40 am

Another thing I forgot to add is that in 10 man ICC I pull an average of 7.5-8.3k DPS 13K on trash. Last night with SnowfallKeypress, I didnt fall below 7k DPS except on gunship. This is why I previously said I feel like I should be pulling more DPS in 25 mans even with the lag.

Thanks for the replies. I made this post out of 50% need to know and 50% frustration. I feel better now after getting the response that I did here.

Thank You.
Haberjinx

Postby Kelaan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:27 am

Maat wrote:The one I use is SnowfallKeypress.

Whoa. I'll have to try that out, I didn't realize that actions happened on key RELEASE rather than press.
Kelaan

Postby Levantine » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:24 am

Lore wrote:How bad is your latency, exactly?

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... cyFix.html helped me quite a bit (around 200ms difference)

HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK.
Levantine

Postby phaqueue » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:24 am

Also, for your latency issue - not sure if you're having the same problem I was, but my latency/framerate was HORRID in 25-mans, I switched from windowed mode to non-windowed and it fixed the problem quite a bit... just a thought :)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Haberjinx » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:48 pm

Is 25 man Lich king real lag intensive?
Haberjinx

Postby Vorianloken » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:14 pm

depends on your setup
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Belloc » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:44 pm

Wow... it sounds to me like your latency is your #1 problem here. I don't understand how you can even consider raiding with latencies above 200.

First: Is anyone else using your network? Are you wired or wireless? Any programs/downloads running while raiding? If other people are using the network, make sure they're not doing any bandwidth/network intensive activities (Downloading, P2P, File-sharing, etc). A wired connection is leaps and bounds better than a wireless.

Second: Is your combatlog enabled? Turn it off (I can't tell you the exact steps). Get rid of recount and any other addons that send and receive a lot of information.

Finally: Check out that latency fixing link above.

Fixing your latency will have a huge impact on your DPS. I can say, almost without a doubt, that your problem is your latency. Good luck.
Belloc

Postby Vorianloken » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:53 am

I raid with 600-800ms on a wireless connection. And the only trouble I've had is on Faction Champs 25 when more than 2 DK's pop their armies or on Gunship sometimes when the enemy rocketeers start shooting. But never had lag outside of those situations.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby thegreatheed » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:07 pm

Vorianloken wrote:I raid with 600-800ms on a wireless connection. And the only trouble I've had is on Faction Champs 25 when more than 2 DK's pop their armies or on Gunship sometimes when the enemy rocketeers start shooting. But never had lag outside of those situations.

It sounds like you are mistaking latency (the time it takes a signal to reach the server and return, also called ping) with frame rate lag. 600-800ms is the actual time it takes your computer to talk to blizzard and for the server to respond. That means that every single action is delayed by .6 to .8 seconds. This will have a significant impact on ret dps. Acceptable latency is usually considered <200ms. In that case, each action is only delayed by .2 seconds. Your latency, versus desired latency, results in every single action you do being .4 to .6 seconds slower than someone else.

DKs popping army and enemy rocketeers shooting have absolutely nothing to do with latency. That is video frame rate delay. Having low or slow frame rates isn't always as hugely detrimental to dps as low latency is. Even if you can't see your character but every 3fps, you can still fire abilities off on time, as ability usage is not tied to graphic rendering.
thegreatheed

Postby rodos » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:40 am

Belloc wrote:Wow... it sounds to me like your latency is your #1 problem here. I don't understand how you can even consider raiding with latencies above 200.

I suggest you never consider moving to Australia.
rodos

Postby Haberjinx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:19 am

Yeah thanks a lot for the replies. I got my new computer and WOW... I now pull 9-10k DPS with 8.5K being my low. I just didn't think that latency would make such a huge impact on damage. Although i'm still dazed and confused on Heroic dreamwalker sometimes.. Just a bit of trouble with Blistering Zombies... i'm scared of those things!
Thanks again.
Haberjinx

Postby guillex » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:07 am

Haberjinx wrote:Yeah thanks a lot for the replies. I got my new computer and WOW... I now pull 9-10k DPS with 8.5K being my low. I just didn't think that latency would make such a huge impact on damage. Although i'm still dazed and confused on Heroic dreamwalker sometimes.. Just a bit of trouble with Blistering Zombies... i'm scared of those things!
Thanks again.

So it wasn't latency, it was video lag.

Good to know.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Haberjinx » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Well I am not good with computers but all I know is that when I did Putricide and a few other bosses on my old computer, I had over 1k MS and as low as 600 MS on some other fights.. Also my screen paused and jumped in a very annoying fasion whenever I tried to turn or run.

I did putricide last night (got my Tiny ABOM!) and it was so smooth that it seemed like a totally different fight. Pulled about 7.5k DPS using SoV when I should have been using command.

Man I really need to get off my butt and take that computer science class.
Haberjinx

Postby kysu » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:29 pm

Heh that computer science class will teach you nothing but how to use excel/word or "hello world!"
kysu

Postby smiter » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:43 am

Ok probably a stupid question but I do not know very much about wireless computer networking. My latency is usually around 200-250ms and my computer is the furthest away from the wireless router in the house, signal strength on windows 7 is listed at generally 4 out of 5 bars sometimes hitting 5. The computer is brand new I run in windowed mode at full graphics settings and see fps anywhere from absolute low of 25 to around 200depending on where I am so animation even in 25's is very smooth. would moving the router from the computer furthest to mine in the house to the one centrally located help with latency issues? I would like to be closer to the 100ms range. I also have an internet jack in my room, would just using a cable directly into my modem boost performance or would the computer still have to go through the wireless network? I appreciate any advice from the more computer savy out there.

On a side note since this is a ret dps forum, I was pulling about 6.2K in VOA 10 man (top of recount chart) and in 25 was at around 7K I think (number 3 or 4 on the chart)...I have 2p T10 bonus and GS is 5335 still have a 232 pair of legs and 226 belt. My toon is Smiter on Nazjtar I can't link armory here at work but if someone has time to take a peek and see if I am doing anything wrong with gemming I would appreciate it. I feel like my DPS should be more around 7K in 10man VOA. I generally on single target bosses use the following priority list

CS>DS>J> and then DS whenever off CD with T10 bonus and exorcism only if Aow is procced and nothing else on cooldown. I forget which takes single target priority CS or DS. I want to say CS. Any help is greatly appreciated.
smiter

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes