unlimit
Maintankadonor

Re: AVR - Augmented Virtual Reality

Postby Anorian » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:31 am

now that is one useful addon :o
Anorian

Postby Tybran » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:36 am

The possibilities of this addon are staggering. I played around with it shortly after seeing this post. But unfortunately the addon is a beast on memory. Throwing down four circles boots memory usuage up by ~3-4. Until/unless it's refined, the entire raid would need to be on some pretty good computers in order to utilize it correctly.

It was however, wicked fun to play around with.
Tybran

Postby fafhrd » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:24 am

Oh man, I suppose it was only a matter of time till someone took the pathological steps to try to track camera movements and use them to render things consistently for people viewing things from different viewpoints.

Although several years in quite a lot of time.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Chicken » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:15 am

This is definitely a handy mod, especially if you're using BigWigs since it integrates for a couple of ICC bosses with it (Like say at Rotface you can see exactly where all the slime from an exploding unstable ooze will land), but there's some cool things you can do with it regardless of other mods.

Obvious applications are of course simply scribbling reminders to yourself onto the game world, or creating some additional landmarks that way in an otherwise fairly featureless room. But you can also make it show a circle around your character as an extra addition to a range check, or even set it to have something on the floor on another player, and then show a line between where you are and that other player is. Makes finding your kiter at Rotface easier than it has ever been.
Chicken

Postby Playdoh » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:29 am

Chicken wrote:This is definitely a handy mod, especially if you're using BigWigs since it integrates for a couple of ICC bosses with it (Like say at Rotface you can see exactly where all the slime from an exploding unstable ooze will land), but there's some cool things you can do with it regardless of other mods.

Obvious applications are of course simply scribbling reminders to yourself onto the game world, or creating some additional landmarks that way in an otherwise fairly featureless room. But you can also make it show a circle around your character as an extra addition to a range check, or even set it to have something on the floor on another player, and then show a line between where you are and that other player is. Makes finding your kiter at Rotface easier than it has ever been.

SO.... I am HORRIBLY HORRIBLY HORRIBLY left/right deficient. On the fly they have absolutely no reference to me. So much that I create my own references in rooms. I use the map and then say things ok the dias is north, stairs are south on LDW.

Festerguts ROOM is horrid for me. Both sides, the vats are orange, there is only one door and it is at the east, we position people north and south not east and west, so on the fly I can't say OK go to the door. This MOD can put a marker like the warlock green teleporter on the game field for me, so I can use my own references for left/right north/south or whatever comes up?
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Tybran » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:29 pm

This mod will even put a compass rose at your feet Playdoh, that stays true to the cardinal directions even as your avatar rotates in the game world.
Tybran

Postby Belloc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:20 pm

I installed this mod for a bit, but it seemed like it required a lot of input to get what you want out of it. That may be incorrect (feel free to correct me), but that's not my point. Does anyone have any presets/instructions for basic functionality so I can jump right in, so to speak?
Belloc

Postby Playdoh » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:07 pm

I found the add compass to sceen. But it's huge. If it were smaller it would be so much win though.

It looks to me like each of the "virtual Realities" are just layers though. You give it an empty container and then just "paint" what you want on the layer. Is that a bad way to look at it?
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:00 am

That's about right - the only planes the basic elements will exist on are parallel to the floor.

There are quite a few different preset things you can add though, and you can scale everything Playdoh. Finding the gui for it all is a bit of work though, you need to create a scene, then you can edit the elements inside it after adding them.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Maddok » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:09 am

Started playing with this and AVRE over the weekend, it totally feels like cheating....
Maddok

Postby chinoquezada » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Maddok wrote:Started playing with this and AVRE over the weekend, it totally feels like cheating....

I used AVR on my guild's alt run with my mage, and I kinda have to agree.

I mean, from the top of my head, this addon shows you:

1) Clear circle with white border around you when Valanar does his vortex. Whenever you run close to someone, a radial line appears.
2) A red circle appears bellow you when you get targeted by iceblocks in sindragosa.
3) Red circles appear where Malleable Goo will fall in putricide.

It's very very useful and borderline cheating, as maddok said.

Check this video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlh2AImsA_w
chinoquezada

Postby culhag » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:09 am

I have no idea how it's even possible to do that.

I'm curious to try it !
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:51 am

Well mmochampion have featured it now, the cat is well and truly out of the bag. I think it's cheating, it's little better than Counter Strike model editing and wall hacking. You are getting easy sign posted visual information that you wouldn't otherwise or would have to judge for yourself via more subtle visual cues. It's not at all like the ability bars and standard marks ye average boss mod provides, it well and truly crosses the line for me.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:19 am

I don't know that seeing range circles and so on is all that different from the timer bars, announcements and arrows that other bossmods provide. You go from having a general sense of what the abilities do to seeing a more precise indicator that means you don't have to think much about it. Yes, adding more kinds of indicator does alter the difficulty, but not because any individual type is more of a cheat than the others.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Next

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros