Profession help!

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Profession help!

Postby Firann » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:41 am

Hey guys! I'm looking to hear some of your opinions regarding professions. (and i don't want to derail Chicken's ENC vs Engi thread any more). I've also posted this on Tankspot but i'd like to hear this forum's opinion (i do realise most use both sites)

I play a Human Paladin tank for the record.

I've had up until 2-3 days ago Mining and JC as my professions. I dropped mining (as i am leveling it on my DK alt) and started leveling BS (currently at 206) from all the mats the alt gets. The reason i'm leveling BS is more to do with Cata reforging of gear rather than the 2 extra gem slots.

However i started thinking about engi. I always loved engi, i had mining / engi in original WoW.

Now here is what im considering and please advise.

Continue BS and have JC/BS
Continue BS and drop JC for Engi
Drop BS for Engi and have JC/Engi.

Now as i said I want BS for reforging. In regards to JC, the only reluctant side to it is that i have most if not all tanking patterns acquired. I do not use JC to make gold, I just have it and do the daily to get prismatic gems.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
Firann

Re: Profession help!

Postby vegardhv » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:22 am

Firann wrote:Now here is what im considering and please advise.

Now as i said I want BS for reforging. In regards to JC, the only reluctant side to it is that i have most if not all tanking patterns acquired. I do not use JC to make gold, I just have it and do the daily to get prismatic gems.

I think I'd go for BS + JC - since you got JC already, started on BS, and both can be used for reforging. Now about this reforing business, I'm reading engineering can alter trinket stats, that sounds interesting..
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Lionnis » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:03 am

Firann wrote:Hey guys! I'm looking to hear some of your opinions regarding professions. (and i don't want to derail Chicken's ENC vs Engi thread any more). I've also posted this on Tankspot but i'd like to hear this forum's opinion (i do realise most use both sites)

I play a Human Paladin tank for the record.

I've had up until 2-3 days ago Mining and JC as my professions. I dropped mining (as i am leveling it on my DK alt) and started leveling BS (currently at 206) from all the mats the alt gets. The reason i'm leveling BS is more to do with Cata reforging of gear rather than the 2 extra gem slots.

However i started thinking about engi. I always loved engi, i had mining / engi in original WoW.

Now here is what im considering and please advise.

I'd continue with BS/JC, two very strong professions, and they will have some nice perks in cata from the sounds of it.
Lionnis
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:41 pm

JC gives bigger bonuses, BS gives flexibility. It's hard to find a combination that works together as well as those two.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Oldpappa » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:04 am

Here is something to think About - Alchemy (particularly for a pally)

Advantages 1) About the same health bonus as a gem slots or mining with flask, in addition for resistance fights you get more resistance with the resistance flask - think of it as 60stam 2) 2 hour flasks 3) Can be as versatile as gems - different flasks AP, SP 4) Endless mana pots - I don't know about you, but I run out of mana so often in heroics and other encounters cause my mana expenditure is higher than my input 5) Flask of the North for Arena (not as good as putting in blacksmith spots for pvp). 6) Gem and other xmutes

So, for a Pally, I have been very well served as having Alchemy as one of my professions (my other is JC)
Oldpappa

Postby Kelaan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:59 pm

Also, even the unluckiest raiders use flasks, whereas gems sound like they'd be bought less. The %profit is likely tighter though.
Kelaan

Postby bentglasstube » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:40 pm

With Frozen Orbs being traded for Frost Lotuses it's unlikely that flasks will continue to be as profitable as they were prior to this patch.
bentglasstube

Postby Firann » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:23 am

While i do think alchemy is fun, i dont have that much money to buy the materials or have the patience to start gathering herbs ;)

So far i just leveled BS a bit more and its going slow, as i am in the phase where you need tons of mithril and its a real pain to get!
Firann

Postby Lionnis » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:30 am

Firann wrote:So far i just leveled BS a bit more and its going slow, as i am in the phase where you need tons of mithril and its a real pain to get!

I feel you, I power leveled BS in one day, it took about 4 hours and 5000 gold to get to 425. :)
Lionnis
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:49 am

I'd probably stick with BS/JC though if you'd dropped mining, I'd have taking Engineering instead. But I like engineering and the new content makes engineering's flexibility very, very helpful. I'd be totally annoyed without my mailbox or my Jeeves when in a long grinding/leveling session.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations