Remove Advertisements

So... Magtheridon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Lore » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:29 am

Yeah I usually go full spell damage gear, pop angel wings, and roflstomp the first add.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Lightskin » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:33 am

I would like to see some math and possible ways that I can reach 17k~18.5k buffed with Epics from Kara/Gruul's/Heroics/etc (pre-mag) and what needs to be done to get there.

If anyone can work out a balance cookie cutter gear list and enchant list as a rough model to follow then maybe I could have a more clear understanding on how I can survive at least 3 of Mag's hits with less than 500 hp.
Lightskin

Postby Mortehl » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:51 am

Thels wrote:Actually, where we'd excel is taking the 1st add, optionally with the 2nd add misdirected on us. We can put up more threat than the other tanks, and can tank the 2nd add without too much extra troubles at the same time. After our targets are down, we are better at picking up the various targets (remember, Exorcism works on them) than warriors are.

Not saying paladins cannot tank the last add or Maggy himself, but it's not playing into your strengths.

Actually tanking Mags is a strength of ours for 1 very key reason.

The second most likely reason a party wipes is because the main tank screws up the pickup. Mags has a Banish lag of about 2-5 seconds from when he emotes to when threat can be delivered. If the tank fubars this, bad pickup, 1-2 DPS go bye bye. Paladin stands under his fat ass and lays a consecration 1-2 seconds before emote, and he owns Mag the entire fight.

It also puts an extra warrior in a place where -he- excels, and that is interrupting Dark Mending and Shadow Bolt volley. Number one reason a raid wipes on Mag is channeler number 4 killing channeler number 5's tank.
Mortehl

Postby Lore » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:04 am

Problem is, Mag hits pretty hard, and the tank has to survive through taking damage while the knockaround is going on. We don't do well without constant heals.

Not to say a Paladin can't tank him - many do. But we have a HUGE advantage on tanking the first add (where the rogues can just as easily interrupt the heals) wheras we have only a minor advantage on the pickup - which is just as easily dealt with by any other tank simply by having them not suck at picking him up ;) There's also misdirects to take into consideration.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:36 am

Lightskin wrote:I would like to see some math and possible ways that I can reach 17k~18.5k buffed with Epics from Kara/Gruul's/Heroics/etc (pre-mag) and what needs to be done to get there.

If anyone can work out a balance cookie cutter gear list and enchant list as a rough model to follow then maybe I could have a more clear understanding on how I can survive at least 3 of Mag's hits with less than 500 hp.

Check the armory of some of the folks around here, I'm over 17k hp buffed with kara gear and the engineering helm. There's a few others here well beyond me for HP as well.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Lightskin » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:47 am

Thanks Fridd, but I would like the links, lol.
Lightskin

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:47 am

Lore wrote:Problem is, Mag hits pretty hard, and the tank has to survive through taking damage while the knockaround is going on. We don't do well without constant heals.

Not to say a Paladin can't tank him - many do. But we have a HUGE advantage on tanking the first add (where the rogues can just as easily interrupt the heals) wheras we have only a minor advantage on the pickup - which is just as easily dealt with by any other tank simply by having them not suck at picking him up ;) There's also misdirects to take into consideration.

His hits are also fairly slow, I mean obviously we aren't the best candidate, but we can hold our own there I think.

We had some issues with the pickup too, and they were more of the healers needing to pause healing for a couple of seconds than the tank not executing properly.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:55 am

Lightskin wrote:Thanks Fridd, but I would like the links, lol.

Here is Aergis and myself, both of us are in mostly kara gear. There are some others around here too, a few folks use those sig generators on their posts, so keep an eye on those.

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... n=Fridmarr

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... e&n=Aergis
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Arcand » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:08 pm

I'm hoping that isn't Fridmarr's tank gear. :shock: :wink:
Arcand

Postby Suba » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:17 pm

Any strats for his initial cave in at 30% where he stuns the raid? On Gruul we use intervene when he casts reverb, what is the plan with this guy?
Suba

Postby PsiVen » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:22 am

A lot of guilds use rogues and holy paladins to tank the first add. I don't think that's really the best use of a prot pally :P

I've tanked adds 3-5 on different nights, depending on our druid count.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Thels » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:38 am

Then you're taking 5 tanks, which is not required.

Tank the first add, have a hunter misdirect the 2nd add on you and you can easily take it along. Raid nukes both of them down, and then clears the mob from the MT, or maybe your 1st mob, then MT's mob, then your 2nd mob.

You could even assist by picking up Maggy if the MT's not good at it, and only do a bit of aggro on it while moving it into place and have the MT pick it off you.

What I'm saying (and Lore too I think) is not that we can't tank maggy or the 5th add, but we are the best option for tanking the first add.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Kathryn » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:46 am

Well we got our first few tries at Mag las night.. Our Best Warrior MT's Comp broke and the second best Prot warrior (Tauren and only has 600 HP more than me)

So the way we decided to go was with me Picking up Mag. (Had over 17k armor, over 17k hp, 24% dodge, 16% parry 20% block, 430 Block Value, 504 def)

My question is, for those thta know this fight better than i do... how do you deal with MT healing during the first few Quakes.. That always killed me..

First quakes, thus less healing, + 2 adds still up and bolting..

Is there a tricky way i can position Mag to avoid getting bolted?
Kathryn

Postby Thels » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:51 am

Dunno if you use 4 or 5 tanks, but assuming you use 4:

#C###D#
#######
#######
B#####E
###A###

Tank mob A, have a hunter misdirect mob E on you. Raid kills mob A, then mob E. Raid then proceeds to kill mob B, C and D.

B should be dead before Maggy awakes. Pull Maggy back to where you started the fight, and you should be far enough from C and D.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Zonzede » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:19 am

I actually find that our warrior main tank puts out equal or slightly better threat than me, through his beefy shield slams. I'm already running 260 base SD, plus an oil. Do I really need even more to notice this 'Far superior threat' people keep talking about? Or is that confined to Exorcism.
Zonzede

PreviousNext

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag