Burning through Mana

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Burning through Mana

Postby NeoArmada » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:22 am

Hi,

I am essentially over-geared for Heroics now, but I still have some use for the EoT and, of course, the daily EoF. The only problem that I seem to be running into is that I run out of mana almost instantly. I am properly speced so on some dungeons I can keep my Divine Plea up almost the whole time, but on other ones, where the mobs are spaced too far apart, like the Violet Hold, I am out of mana the whole time. I was just wondering if there were any tips that people had for this problem. The only think that I came up with was switching to SoW instead of SoV. Oh and on boss fights mana is not a problem its just trash. Any tips or comments are appreciated.

Here is my armory link in case there is a problem there:http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shattered+Hand&cn=Halomear

Thanks!
NeoArmada

Re: Burning through Mana

Postby Anorian » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:25 am

Use less consecrate :D, dont do more threat than needed to keep the mob on you till it dies.
Anorian

Postby Boyfriend » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:28 am

There's some tricks to get a bit more DP uptime in VH, use it around 10 seconds before a new portal spawns, and you'll be able to refresh it just before it runs out on the mobs that spawn. This gives you quite a bit more bang for the buck. Also obviously always use sanctuary.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Digren » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:15 am

I drink for 5 seconds or so between portals, when I get lucky with two nearby spawns. And I play tricks with DP refresh as mentioned above.

If all else fails sit when tanking an elite squad. You'll take a crit and get some mana back through your healer. Or take your pants off.
Digren

Postby lythac » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:08 am

1) Consecrate less.
2) You mention using SoW instead of SoV, your spec has SoCleave which should be used for heroics. Higher threat means less consecrations needed.
3) You don't need to wear your sta trinkets for the easy Heroics anymore, with 35k unbuffed you can swap in any DPS trinket. Won't save you mana, but again, the more threat, the less consecrations.
4) Slow 1H weapon give more threat, more threat means... less consecrations.

Points 3+4 aren't terribly important.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby FishyJoe » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:11 am

Digren wrote:Or take your pants off.

Solution.
Lightsaber - 80 Human Paladin
<Malicious> - Tichondrius
FishyJoe

Postby Barathorn » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:51 am

Use the +128 Int trinket from EoT. That really helps. Also run with a druid for chain innervate :wink: . The sporregar shield still also has uses in certain situations.

I personally never run out of mana but then that is the beauty of endless mana pots as an alchemist coupled with Sanc and Divine Plea.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby chinoquezada » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:29 am

If you are running out of mana, you are not tanking enough mobs.
chinoquezada

Postby Vorianloken » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:40 am

chinoquezada wrote:If you are running out of mana, you are not tanking enough mobs.

and how does that help in VH?

:lol:

For OP: just switch to seal of wisdom if it becomes real bad to regen mana, or pop lay on hands if available.
Last edited by Vorianloken on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby chinoquezada » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:57 am

Vorianloken wrote:
chinoquezada wrote:If you are running out of mana, you are not tanking enough mobs.

and how does that help in VH?

:lol:

lol

Notice he said "like" VH. Pretty much every other heroic is chain-pulleable.
chinoquezada

Postby Epimer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:00 am

This seems to come up a lot, and has been discussed more or less to death. This thread (notably the Theck post the link points out) shows why tanking with Seal of Wisdom is bad advice.

My stance is that you can tank any heroic (VH included) in your boss tanking set without removing items of gear, equipping Int trinkets or sitting to take a crit. You just have to manage your mana; don't Consecrate when you're hemorrhaging mana and aren't getting masses of mana returned through SA or BoSanc. If you know Divine Plea is going to fall off, likewise save it for pulls when your mana returns from other sources are low (example: you're going to get reasonable BoSanc returns from the 4 packs in VH, but very little from the single mob portals). Proper mana management is a "fun" (your mileage may vary) mini-game to keep heroics interesting when you don't have much leeway to try and beat your personal speed record due to scripted events.
Epimer

Postby NeoArmada » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 am

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys. I have been tweaking with my DP timing and that seems to help a lot, not sure that ill sit down with my pants off lol, but feel free to provide any more suggestions or comments. I think I will pick up that trinket as well.

Thanks!
NeoArmada

Postby Barathorn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:58 am

This is far from always the case and although in theory the answer you gave is correct, in reality it doesn't always pan out like that. An unexpected stun or two can wipe the group if your dps are trigger happy and while heroics are viewed by most as a lolfest I would still advise caution in being too hasty pulling half the instance for those not used to those kind of pulls.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Boyfriend » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:10 am

I'd like to add that as soon as mobs have nasty special abilities you should be careful about pulling too many.

A few examples:
-The Spear Throwing thingies in HoL pre Loken room, having 4 of these can mean that someone gets 4 spears thrown at them and basically pops.
-Whirlwinding mobs in the same room can be nasty if you have multiple.
-Fearing mobs in Drak'Tharon before last boss, if you pull all 5 they can chain fear the tank, even if they don't it can make things slower as you suddenlyhave half the group feared at any given time.

I'm sure there's more, the idea is if mobs have no special abilities you can essentially pull any amount you want to; but a mob that does annoying things can make even pulling just 2 packs suprisingly more challanging.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby 99sitr » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:06 am

Epimer wrote:This seems to come up a lot, and has been discussed more or less to death. This thread (notably the Theck post the link points out) shows why tanking with Seal of Wisdom is bad advice.

My stance is that you can tank any heroic (VH included) in your boss tanking set without removing items of gear, equipping Int trinkets or sitting to take a crit. You just have to manage your mana; don't Consecrate when you're hemorrhaging mana and aren't getting masses of mana returned through SA or BoSanc. If you know Divine Plea is going to fall off, likewise save it for pulls when your mana returns from other sources are low (example: you're going to get reasonable BoSanc returns from the 4 packs in VH, but very little from the single mob portals). Proper mana management is a "fun" (your mileage may vary) mini-game to keep heroics interesting when you don't have much leeway to try and beat your personal speed record due to scripted events.

I agree with the "fun" mini-game part of this post. I believe it adds a little flavor to being well over-geared for the earlier heroics. My personal strategy for VH to keep over 50% mana is to use my threat libram (Libram of Valiance) and to use my only threat weapon ATM (Gutbuster). I usually just judge Wisdom on them on pull then hammer, then shield and stand there tab targeting through them until they are dead just insuring that I have a fair lead in threat for the dps to still do as much as they care to. I also use Arcane Torrent and DP whenever they are up, I might consecrate once in a blue moon in there but that's it. I forgot to mention that for heroics I throw on my t10 helm for the increased damage for hammer (I don't think when I logged out I had it on).

Here is a link to my Armory Roxiey of Cataclysm.
99sitr

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice