How to handle Scatter Shot?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

How to handle Scatter Shot?

Postby Gerilith » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:44 am

I think some of you know this situation, especially from tanking Durnholde heroic:

Tanking just fine, no problems at all and then you get Scatter Shot by a Rifleman or Lookout. I think this should be forbidden. It's a pain in the ass.

The only way to avoid this is bringing enough CC or using judgements to keep over healing threat and stay on range.

Any other suggestions?
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Igrado » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:25 am

Can this be bubbled or trinketed out of? You've already lost temporary threat, so just treat it like we used to treat Fear before the patch. Those damn Nagas in Heroic whatever-coilfang do that to me all the time, I just have to get better at having my trinket equipped and ready, using the 1CC that somehow snuck into my group effectively, and popping my Nightbane macro.

I haven't done Durnhold on heroic, but like any encounter, prioritize your kill order, have them burn a caster, have a Shaman solo a caster, do whatever makes things die :)

Sorry that I can't be more helpful, I'm sure you thought of all these thingsa nd are just looking for a unique suggestion from someone who's done the instance already on Heroic.
Igrado
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:48 am

U can both bubble or trinket out of it.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Igrado » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:00 pm

Well then there you go, problem solved. :)
I haven't gotten to tank Nightbane yet, so I'll be rusty at it at first, but at the same time Heroics seem like a much better time to be learning such things anyways :)
Igrado
Maintankadonor

Postby Zhalseran » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:08 pm

The difference is on Nightbane you bubble BEFORE the fear, which also is forewarned by a cast bar, where as scattershot is seemingly random.

Also Nightbane will keep attacking you while feared. Will enemies continue to attack a scatter-shotted target? I dunno
Zhalseran

Postby Gerilith » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:48 pm

Zhalseran wrote:The difference is on Nightbane you bubble BEFORE the fear, which also is forewarned by a cast bar, where as scattershot is seemingly random.

Also Nightbane will keep attacking you while feared. Will enemies continue to attack a scatter-shotted target? I dunno

They do not.

Yes, you can bubble out one time. But with some bad luck, your healer will be crittet and dead before they redirect to you. And it does not solve the problem with a 4min CD.

Didn't think of the insignia, though.

Any more thoughts?
Gerilith

Postby Dorvan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:27 pm

As blasphemous as it sounds, I don't think it's the end of the world if there's one instance where Tankadins have to feel what it's like to be a non-Paladin tank and use some CC. I did heroic durn a couple weeks ago and I don't quite recall what we did, but I think it had something to do with earthbind and fear, as well as making sure we always killed scatter-shotting mobs first.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby kywirelessguy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:01 am

The scatter shot in regular shattered halls seems to be on a pretty short cooldown. I tell the healer to stay at max range and it tends to wear off before they have a chance to rape anybody.

Durnhold scatter shot might have a longer duration though.
kywirelessguy

Postby gwayne » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:11 am

Personally I think Durnhold heroic is probably the hardest heroic. The pulls in the first section are very easy to mess up and the second half (with thrall) is very fast paced.

The scatter shot is just one of the many hazards that will wipe you in that first section. CC doesn't work because the wardens cleanse and there are often 2 riflemen per pull. Tricks we used involved:

Hunter frost traps
Earthbind totems
And the most effective; ZOMG how did I pull 2 patrols and a group in a hut?! Consecration, AV, Heroism! After that the pulls got a bit easier since we had more space.

Kill order should be the wardens first followed by the riflemen. Try and keep them stunned and have your healer at max range.
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Postby Igrado » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:50 pm

Also, if you have it available, try Fear Ward. IIRC it worked in H-SV the other night against the Demo shout or w/e it's called, so it may work against scatter shot (though honestly, I have my doubts.)
Igrado
Maintankadonor

Postby Dorvan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:54 pm

Igrado wrote:Also, if you have it available, try Fear Ward. IIRC it worked in H-SV the other night against the Demo shout or w/e it's called, so it may work against scatter shot (though honestly, I have my doubts.)

Yeah, I'd be very surprised....scatter shot isn't a "fear" effect.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Gerilith » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:20 pm

What I actually concidered was casting BoSac on 2nd place in Omen like I did in SL today to get out of the Intimidating Shout if CDs aren't up...could work.
Gerilith

Re: How to handle Scatter Shot?

Postby Invisusira » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:53 pm

This is how I handle Scatter Shot:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=M8pR1rZZHEs
Invisusira

Postby Scoria » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:27 am

keep them in melee range and have a set kill order with single target dps and no aoe, I hardly ever get a scatter in the face like that
Scoria

Postby Shirak » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:15 am

Take a pali along to cleans. Also, have the pali run Blessing of Sacrifice in case he gets scatter shot'd and he will recover and can keep cleaning.

If you don't have a second pali, run the blessing on the person who is normally 2nd on the threat list. Then their damage will break the scattershot.

Just an idea.
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics