Tanking Shaman at Fathomlord.

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking Shaman at Fathomlord.

Postby Dehn » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:38 am

We're starting working on Fathomlord this reset now, and we've come to the conclusion that I should be the one tanking the shaman, as I am best geared tank we have, with 16k unbuffed, 18ish armor, 300ish spelldamage, and 300ish block.

Since the shaman dies first, we'll have dps taking out the totems, but I am wondering about frostshock..

Is it worth it to go full frost gear to mitigate it? or better to have grounding totems?
Dehn

Postby Mouse » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:48 am

unless you have a druid on the hunter, Id say you are better served there. PIcking up the pet is pretty clutch.

If you will still indeed be on the shaman, dps will be on the totems, he hits fairly hard, umm wear dodge.
Qapla <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 Tank DK

EnsgnBlack <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 BE Prot Pally
Mouse

Re: Tanking Shaman at Fathomlord.

Postby Questioner » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:38 am

Dehn wrote:Is it worth it to go full frost gear to mitigate it? or better to have grounding totems?

You''ll get raped in frost gear. Use a grounding totem.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Mortehl » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:54 am

Here's 3 things to consider:

1) A druid is in my opinion a better choice for the shaman because you can get double attack frost shocked in .01 seconds. Even warriors sometimes have issues with this guy.

2) The pickup on pet and hunter is super sweet when done by a paladin and we are well suited to deal with the incoming damage.

3) Consider tanking Fathom Lord. Kiting him during the hunter and priest kill phase is really easy and again we're well suited to deal with the damage and ill suited to contribute once our kill target is down if we're not tanking.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Dehn » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:11 am

Mortehl wrote:Here's 3 things to consider:

1) A druid is in my opinion a better choice for the shaman because you can get double attack frost shocked in .01 seconds. Even warriors sometimes have issues with this guy.

2) The pickup on pet and hunter is super sweet when done by a paladin and we are well suited to deal with the incoming damage.

3) Consider tanking Fathom Lord. Kiting him during the hunter and priest kill phase is really easy and again we're well suited to deal with the damage and ill suited to contribute once our kill target is down if we're not tanking.

Why would a druid be better? Armor does not mitigate the frostshock and our ferals do not go any significant amount of hp above me.

Our tanking team are 2 ferals, me and a prot warrior. The prot is pretty much stuck on the priest due to having worst gear and being only one to interrupt the heals.
Dehn

Postby Gracerath » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:56 am

Windfury weapon is why druids are better tanks for it. They can dodge one or both hits way more often than any other tank.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Dorvan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:01 pm

As others have said, you should always have a grounding totem eating the frost shock. From there, it's just a lot of melee damage without crushing blows, perfect for druid tanks. We are ideal hunter tanks. We usually use the same tanking line up as you on this fight, and assign:

Hunter - me
Shaman - druid
Priest - warrior
Karathress - druid

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby YoYoMa » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:17 pm

Grounding totem ftw. Otherwise you'll be subject to crazy spike damage that will leave your healers scratching their heads.

Whoever is best geared I'd say is your best bet against the shammy. If that's you great, if your druid is comparable then he's well served there as you would be good on the hunter but either way would work honestly.
YoYoMa

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:02 pm

One of our bears has in excess of 40% dodge.

Yeeeaah.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby PapaNasty » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:00 pm

I don't get though where the dodge would necessarily be more helpful

Since chances are you're going to haev around the same avoidance once you combine dodge / parry / miss chances (Not sure exactly how druids work, but I assume with our extra defence we also haev extra miss chances), and then our block should in theory give us around the same mitigation as the additional armor which druids have

but yeah just my 2c, haven't tanked the shaman before, but my guild will likely be doing fathom lord in the next week or two so looking to learn a bit more about the dynamics of it
PapaNasty of Barthilas (US)
PapaNasty

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:24 pm

Shaman isn't that hard to tank , but you should tank hunter

Though I suggest you tank hunter right next to the shaman so he also gets hit by consecration , might save your raid one day :P
Io.Draco

Postby Tekkel » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:06 am

So u're saying that if the bear goes down on shaman your aoe will pick it up and u aren't going to die from him with both the hunter and his pet allready on u?
If your bear dies in the first place u gotta slap either the shaman for the totem or his healers in general.

I find a bad luck streak on an enraged hunter+pet allready hard to outlast with my single healer let alone the shammy on top of that :)
Tekkel

Postby Arthran » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:39 am

i've tanked all but the priest there. I must say the hunter is easierst due to insta-grabbing the pet on spawn. But tanking the shaman is doable by anyclass, but a bear can be successfull and the WF hits fast, and their dodge + high armour can reduce that white damage alot
Arthran

Postby ehly » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:41 am

I have tanked both the hunter and shaman w/o any problem in this fight. Normally we do have a bear on shaman, but when not avialable I have stepped in for the shaman. The healers state there is little to no difference in the amount of damage I take verse him on that encounter.
ehly

Postby Io.Draco » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:55 am

Tekkel wrote:So u're saying that if the bear goes down on shaman your aoe will pick it up and u aren't going to die from him with both the hunter and his pet allready on u?
If your bear dies in the first place u gotta slap either the shaman for the totem or his healers in general.

I find a bad luck streak on an enraged hunter+pet allready hard to outlast with my single healer let alone the shammy on top of that :)

]
I actualy once tanked Shaman , hunter + pet AND priest for 2 mins then died when tornado sent all my healers in the air..,I pulled with AS :P , since then I have been getting MD

Anyhow I got 7% more dodge and parry then you soo...

GET MORE dodge and parry

Seriously I usualy run OOM when I am tanking hunter , so I am actualy thinking of tanking both hunter and shaman
Io.Draco

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern