New pally Tank FOS question

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

New pally Tank FOS question

Postby Draxsten » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:52 am

OK very silly question sure I will be made fun of, but in the new 5 man dungeons, like FOS I have no issues with bosses ever BUT... The trash mobs are proving more default. There is always a stand out caster and if I try to pull him in the mob to hold aggro I lose another always one gets away. I hope I am not the only one that has had this issue and I am sick of the rude PUG comments please help advise me with tips. Sure if I can get this part down I will role the other mobs as well, even if a youtube link to it just any help. Thank you in advance
Draxsten

Re: New pally Tank FOS question

Postby econ21 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:49 am

Most of the trash in the ICC 5 mans is undead, including those pesky casters (btw turn on sense undead and let your glyph give you extra 1% damage) so using [edit :oops: ] Holy Wrath is not a bad early move to stun them, giving you time, and also getting snap AOE aggro. So I will skull one caster, run towards him casting HoRec and then use HW.

What happens is that I typically grab most of the mobs, as you say, leaving me with one outlier caster. I think he does not have to be picked up immediately. You may have initial aggro on him from HW and anyway your healer or whoever does have aggro should be able to survive a few seconds of his attention. I would instead prioritise consecration and HotR after HW to make sure I have the majority of the mobs locked down on me.

Then to pick up the lone caster, I fire avenger shield at him. This silences him and so makes him come toward me.

In theory, that should be enough, but to be honest, those fights end up pretty chaotic. I am often running from one mob to another, to pick up stragglers. So long as the rest trail me round as I pick up stragglers, it should not be a problem. I use AoE moves whenever they are off cooldown so that I do indeed keep most of the enemies while chasing the straggler(s). It is not elegant but generally does not cause problems. I confess, early on in my career as a level 80, the chaos did lead one idiot DK to think he was tanking the mobs and so encouraged him to pull the first boss while I was explaining tactics. I took some quiet satisfaction in his seemingly instant death.

Similar issues arise with the two ramp pulls after the second boss in PoS, but there the timing is tighter as the flamebringers (or wrathbringers or whatever they are called) cause so much damage that leaving them unattended for even a few seconds can be disasterous. In that fight, I skull one, X the other and mark the third caster, prioritising locking them down asap. Telling dps to wait a few seconds helps in those pulls, but is not necessary in FoS.
Last edited by econ21 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
econ21

Postby Metherlance » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:45 am

^Hammer of Wrath means Holy Wrath I guess. :)

Using Hand of Reckoning before pull also helps, since it also does damage. For example, use it to the nearest caster, run in and HotR melee mobs, then use Avengers Shield on the last caster, who might be out of melee range at this point, so the silence makes him run to you. Just be patient with timings on skills to maximize their effect. If your groups dps is trigger happy, tell them to wait a couple secs before starting their aoe-cycles.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/chromaggus/Metherlance/advanced

No question remains unanswered. No doubts linger. You are Azeroth's greatest champions!
Metherlance

Postby econ21 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:36 am

Metherlance wrote:^Hammer of Wrath means Holy Wrath I guess. :)

Yes, sorry - so many of abilities seems to share common words, I get confused with the nomenclature. Too much divine holy hammering righteous vengeance and avenging. It does my head in.
econ21

Postby bldavis » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:09 am

I do just the opposite

I HoReck on the caster to start the pull, AS them as I run in, and then HoR the melee and hit HW when all are in range.

I could just stop their cause that gives me enough aggro for dam near the full hp of the mobs

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby blakk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:35 am

I usually pull all the melée mobs to one caster and just keep the other one on me by taunting it any time it doesn't stay focused on me. Threatplates makes it easy to do it that way.
blakk

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:36 am

blakk wrote:I usually pull all the melée mobs to one caster and just keep the other one on me by taunting it any time it doesn't stay focused on me. Threatplates makes it easy to do it that way.

I do this too. Because I'm way lazy.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby blakk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:24 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:
blakk wrote:I usually pull all the melée mobs to one caster and just keep the other one on me by taunting it any time it doesn't stay focused on me. Threatplates makes it easy to do it that way.

I do this too. Because I'm way lazy.

I was going to say I do it because I'm lazy but that would have made me look.... Well.... Lazy.
blakk

Postby Sarutankah » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:34 pm

I had a ret pally cc with repentance once - in Pit of saron he did it too.

Reminded me of BC :)
Sarutankah

Postby bldavis » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Sarutankah wrote:I had a ret pally cc with repentance once - in Pit of saron he did it too.

repentence works well in HoR too! (went in with a tank friend of mine and i have it, so i repented the mage or hunter and went back to dps, works wonderfully!

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby guillex » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:35 pm

Sarutankah wrote:I had a ret pally cc with repentance once - in Pit of saron he did it too.

Wonder if that was me? I like to be kinda liberal with Repent when I'm running with a sub-par DPS group.

edit: which is most of the time... I mean, I don't have the greatest gear... But when I'm pulling 5k+ dps throughout the instance, and most of the other dps can't muster 2.5k ... there's something wrong.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby nalenb » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:32 pm

bldavis wrote:I do just the opposite

I HoReck on the caster to start the pull, AS them as I run in, and then HoR the melee and hit HW when all are in range.

I could just stop their cause that gives me enough aggro for dam near the full hp of the mobs

This is what I do. If there's a DK in the group I'll ask them to yonk a specific caster closer before pulling.
Shiblon - Anvilmar
nalenb

Postby phaqueue » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:30 am

nalenb wrote:
bldavis wrote:I do just the opposite

This is what I do. If there's a DK in the group I'll ask them to yonk a specific caster closer before pulling.

Also, it can be helpful to make a macro that tells DKs at the beginning that they are allowed to DG casters to you.

On my DK, I am quite liberal with gripping casters cause I know I will rarely if ever die from them... but there are a lot of tanks that yell at DKs for it so a lot of DKs just don't do it - telling the to go ahead and that you will taunt will get them to help you much more often - just make sure you watch for it and taunt off them
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby bldavis » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:45 am

i dont like using "rules" macros, so if its someplace like the hell ......er hill in pos, i dont even bother having one made, as tehy might get cnfused on when i want them to

ill just flat out ask them to do it for me!

case in point, guild run in pos to help gear up one of our dk's, we were in vent just chatting, and i said "Hey Cal, could you yank skull down to us? ty!"

makes it easy and they get to use a cool toy for their class, and not risk the wrath of Tankadin in charge!

bldavis

Return to General Strats