Tips for steamvaults? (first run)

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tips for steamvaults? (first run)

Postby tuberon » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:52 am

I've not run steamvaults yet, but am going to be running several times in the coming weeks *... I work alot, so time is something I'm never sure of* and was wondering if you had any tips or suggestions regarding strategy or gear before I go in.

Reason for running it is since I'm slowly working on a kara entrance set, I want devilshark cape and strength of the untamed.

From what I've seen on wowwiki, it looks like the first boss will likely be the most trouble, due to the nature damage.

My gear, if you look at it, is sort of my middle-ground gear. I have more avoidance (gloves from the shattered halls quest) and wayward footman shield, or can go for more spelldamage.
Warning: Above poster makes no claims to validity or sanity of said post.

Also... cake.
tuberon
Maintankadonor

Postby rabbel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:23 am

I'd say you're quite overgeared for a Steamvault Normal run. I myself tanked it with worse equipment, and it wasn't much of an issue.

In general, your DDs have to worry much more about the bosses than yourself, except maybe for the last one.

Some tactics:

- First boss: Simple tank'n'spank, kill off her elementals first, than smash her. If you see some lightning hitting the ground next to you, drag her a bit out of the storm. Your DDs have to leave that storm too, or they will easily be toast.

- Second boss: Easiest Boss, especially with you as a tank. Your group won't have to worry much about the healing if you keep spamming consecrate. You don't need to kill off that gnomes, you just need to hit them with a damaging attack and they will stop healing him.

- Last boss: He has your cape, and only two special skills: First, he will activate a Spellreflect-Shield from time to time. Don't judge, when he does ;)
Second (and far worse), he will sometimes yell "This is not really over" and begin to drain from a nearby container. That container will then become attackable, and you and your group will have to destroy it in less than 10 seconds, or Kalitresh will gain an Enrage-like buff and you will bite the dust in seconds. Here your DDs need to watch, not you. If you die, it's nearly always the DDs fault, not yours. Tip: Drag him to a container of your choice, he will automatically channel to that one.

With your equip, stay uncrittable against 72s and go for spelldamage. That's all you need to worry about, you have more than enough HP.

/edit: Oh, and with the trash: The Bog Lords hit hard, try to get them alone. Always take out the Sirens by CC, or kill them first, they have a very, very nasty area-fear, which can easily lead to a wipe. The Oracles are healers, but don't worry much about them. Just take them out.
Last edited by rabbel on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabbel

Postby Athon » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:38 am

I was in SV yesterday for the first time. 11k health, around 180 spell damage, 503 defense. I felt overgeared. I was running out of mana all the time because I wasn't receiving enough damage. Even in the beginning of the instance our rogue accidentally pulled a bog lord AND a group of humanoids and we even managed to survive that although I had to use LoH and our healer burned some cooldowns too. We had two rogues and they sapped most of the spellcasters, so I wasn't using AOE as much as in some other instances.
Athon

Postby tuberon » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:27 am

Thanks rabbel, I was looking for an answer like yours :)

I already kind of figured I was a bit overgeared... (shattered, mech, bot... all of them I was drinking after every pull, first time) so I was planning to try to go more on spelldamage (now that I can repurpose my chestpiece to that, since I *just* got my aldor chest) and such.

I kind of skipped several instances getting to 70 in a mad dash, so I'm building my kara set now, by going through all that stuff.

Plan: SV -> DSC + SotU, Mech/Bot/Arc -> Crest of the Sha'tar

Also... cake.
tuberon
Maintankadonor

Postby Suikano » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:35 am

I've tanked heroic SV with worse stats than you have.
Suikano

Postby Brute » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:52 am

Use CC, especially for pulls with female naga.

The mobs don't hit terribly hard, but they can do horrible things to your group. Fear, healing themselves, silencing your casters... its better to deal with these things one at a time, especially if you're new to the instance.
Brute

Postby Zhalseran » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:21 am

The bosses are easy, the trash is whats hard, especially in the first room. Sirens and Oracles MUST DIE. Silences are nasty, and fears are super bad in a few spots.
Zhalseran

Postby tuberon » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:39 pm

Zhalseran wrote:The bosses are easy, the trash is whats hard, especially in the first room. Sirens and Oracles MUST DIE. Silences are nasty, and fears are super bad in a few spots.

Botanica taught me CC has it's uses. I do not make a good flower.

Also... cake.
tuberon
Maintankadonor

Postby Gryfalia » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:05 pm

Ok, I agree that the second boss is a joke, and the final boss isn't that hard either, but the first one is not to be underestimated. The storm does some pretty crazy damage and it hurts a lot. Your group needs to remember that finishing casting spell_47 isn't as important as not dying.

Last night doing her heroic was..annoying with no Warlocks. If you want easy mode on her equal to a Pally tanking SH, bring 2 Warlocks..;-)
And more info I'm not smart enough to make pretty:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Gryfalia
Gryfalia

Postby fudomyou » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:10 pm

Tuberon wrote:Botanica taught me CC has it's uses. I do not make a good flower.

I don't know about you, but I am a unique and beautiful flower.

Seriously, though, crowd control isn't just something Warriors do - casters have the potential to beat the living snot out of you, so keeping them out of the fight is great. When an AoE fear goes off, you run the risk of getting hit from behind with no healer backup, and you also run the risk of people running into adds. Keep that from happening at all costs.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Zhalseran » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:03 pm

All bot taught me was to watch out for red booblies whilest madly consecrating.

Oh yea, and also that random loot sucks and gearing up a tankadin is annoy and hell
Zhalseran

Postby Invisusira » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:07 pm

SV is quick and easy, only a couple mobs to watch out for.

ORACLE:
AoE Silence. Heals.

SIREN:
Fears.

The nastiest pull is early on, 2 Sirens, an Oracle, and some melee. Line of Sight pull them back into upwards-going hallway; CC here if possible.

LoS pulling the packs out of the last boss's room is also a good idea, the packs there also feature an oracle/siren combo (although just one of each).

I typically kill oracles, then sirens, then any other female naga, then melee guys.
Invisusira

Postby ctyotyler » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:32 pm

My first rule for my party, kill casters first unless I mark them for CC. I can take any form of physical damage and love when fast hitters are on me. But for the most part casters are a pain. Luckily most of them are squishy.

Gluck, SV will be super simple for you. I ran it first with a group of friends and we attempted it at lvl 67 or 68. We got the first mobs down but decided we needed to level up some. Then I ran it at 70 and it was cake.
Enjoy Life!
ctyotyler

Postby kalbear » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:08 pm

The only thing I'd add is that the cloud animation is not entirely accurate, and you can still be hit by the cloud of doom on the first boss even if you're outside of the dark area. Just get the hell out of the area entirely.

And yeah, the silences suck. Worse than the fears, tbh; at least the fearing guys don't do a ton of damage when hitting you from behind. The big thing with the fears is making sure you don't aggro too many guys.
kalbear

Postby Comma » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:29 pm

Invisusira wrote:SV is quick and easy, only a couple mobs to watch out for.

ORACLE:
AoE Silence. Heals.

SIREN:
Fears.

The nastiest pull is early on, 2 Sirens, an Oracle, and some melee. Line of Sight pull them back into upwards-going hallway; CC here if possible.

LoS pulling the packs out of the last boss's room is also a good idea, the packs there also feature an oracle/siren combo (although just one of each).

I typically kill oracles, then sirens, then any other female naga, then melee guys.

SORCERESS (female caster too) can fear too occationally, but usually they do range dmg spells (frostbolt or something)

Note, the fear has like 10-15 yard range.
Comma

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics