Remove Advertisements

[10] Arthas Vile Spirit achieve

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Arthas Vile Spirit achieve

Postby Trase » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:51 am

AoE slows, such as Earthbind Totem and Frost Trap, work on the Vile Spirits to allow a bit more DPS time when they do become active. Also, using two healers and placing a ranged in that usual third spot or having the third healer go ranged dps dual-spec helps a lot.
Trase <Phoenix> - Greymane US
Trase

Postby hamato » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:01 am

Has anyone done this successfully with only 2 ranged? I would rather not have to swap out anyone as we have done the rest of the content with only 2. Only a few more achievements to go for the drakes and I'm sure this is going to be the sticking point.

Our Ranged are a hunter and a mage. We also have a priest that could go shadow, which would drop us down to 2 healers. Our first kill was done with 2 so I know this is doable, but doing the achievement at the same time seems like it might be too much to deal with.
hamato

Postby hoho » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:03 am

hamato wrote:Our first kill was done with 2 so I know this is doable, but doing the achievement at the same time seems like it might be too much to deal with.

How so? If anything doing the achievement should lower raid damage taken. Only problem might be somewhat longer last phase due to lower DPS on boss.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Donahu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:46 am

If you use Army of the Dead or Earth Elemental on the Vile Spirits do they blow up on the pets and cause a fail of the achievement?

Thanks ^^
Donahu

Postby Kihra » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:22 pm

We tried this with 4 ranged and still had trouble if one of the ranged got sucked into the sword. Finally we just said "Screw it" and brought in 5 ranged. It was a 1-shot. My recommendation if you want to avoid wasting time is to just bring 5 ranged DPS and get the achievement for one melee per week.

This is one of the dumbest achievements ever as far as raid composition is concerned.

Also, for anyone having trouble tracking it, I wrote an add-on that will indicate in raid chat when the achievement is failed.

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... ilify.aspx
Kihra

Postby Trase » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:12 pm

Donahu wrote:If you use Army of the Dead or Earth Elemental on the Vile Spirits do they blow up on the pets and cause a fail of the achievement?

Thanks ^^

If the Vile Spirit reaches a certain proximity to its target, it explodes, and yes, this will cause the achievement to fail.
Trase <Phoenix> - Greymane US
Trase

Postby Avengeance » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:50 pm

Actually as far as I can tell, vile spirits dont blow up on pets. I've personally seen an army holding a few vile spirits and they just stood there doing nothing (until someone walks near them).
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:33 pm

Kihra wrote:Also, for anyone having trouble tracking it, I wrote an add-on that will indicate in raid chat when the achievement is failed.

This achievement and the Sindragosa achievement are the last two that several of us need for the 10 man drake next reset, so thank you very much in advance for taking the time to make those two addons.
Rhiannon

Postby Bastosa » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:25 am

Kihra wrote:Also, for anyone having trouble tracking it, I wrote an add-on that will indicate in raid chat when the achievement is failed.

Thanks so much for writing this! Used this for our kill last night and it was super helpful.

I'll agree with everyone else that this achieve is all about comp. We did pretty well with 4 ranged, but lost a few attempts to a stray spirit. Once we went to 5 ranged (SPriest, Ele, 2 Marks Hunters, Lock) this was cake. Two healed it as well, which turned out to be much easier than we imagined.

I have a vid of our kill on youtube if anyone is interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAQT4-0Flv8
Bastosa

Postby Rhiannon » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:48 am

We did it with SP, ele, lock as main vile spirits DPS (though unholy DK did help quite a bit), but three healered and had the disc priest glyph mind sear and drop some healing talents to pick up darkness, which worked ok. A useful thing to remember is that chains of ice and entangling roots both work on them, we had our dps DK chainsing if needed, and both our feral tank and rest druids rooting if needed.
Rhiannon

Postby Kihra » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:43 am

We did it with two healers (holy paladin/resto druid) and five ranged (mage, ele shaman, shadow priest x 2, hunter). Two of the ranged were alts of people who normally play melee. They weren't even particularly well geared, but it was still better than having their melee in the raid. :(

It's unfortunate that the achievement is so biased in favor of ranged DPS.
Kihra

Postby Worldie » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:42 am

I may add that saronite bombs are srs stuff on this <.<

We got it with 2 shadow priests and 1 lock, + holy priest using mind sear as well.

Suggest all your priests to Glyph mind sear, makes a big difference.

Oh and don't worry, if Arthas kills you right after summoning the spirits, they will die before the roleplay is finished.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Vathral2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:39 am

Pets ruin the achievement for this.

Pets ruin the achievement for All you can eat.

For an earlier post, 2 healing P3 is not so bad because Infest is actually NOT cast during Phase 3 normal mode. If a healer gets sent towards the frostmourne room if you 2 heal it, just have your tank pop a cooldown during the soul reaper until your healer returns. Though if you have 25 man gear, I highly suggest just solo tanking this encounter. I do it with our guild in 10 and 25 (if I'm used for 25 more often), and it presents no issues. Lets you squeeze out more DPS that way.
Vathral2

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:48 am

Kihra wrote:It's unfortunate that the achievement is so biased in favor of ranged DPS.

Almost everything is biased in favor of ranged dps, especially hard modes.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:59 am

Vathral2 wrote:Pets ruin the achievement for All you can eat.

Over in the All You Can Eat thread, Trase says otherwise.

"The 10-man group we did earlier in the week earned this achievement while a pet racked up a 24 stack of Mystic Buffet. You should be able to find our log on World of Logs -> US Realms -> Greymane -> Phoenix. I think it was on Thursday evening under ICC10 Normal."
Kihra

PreviousNext

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel