Final Fantasy XIII

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Postby Vanifae » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:03 am

Final Fantasy relies too much on anime tropes to really have solid characters.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:25 am

Vanifae wrote:Final Fantasy relies too much on anime tropes to really have solid characters.

Define solid.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Talderas » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:26 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
Vanifae wrote:Final Fantasy relies too much on anime tropes to really have solid characters.

Define solid.

Unique.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby Santcuff » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 am

Snake-Aes wrote:

Define solid.

Solid - one of the major states of matter. It is characterized by structural rigidity and resistance to changes of shape or volume. Unlike a liquid, a solid object does not flow to take on the shape of its container, nor does it expand to fill the entire volume available to it like a gas does. The atoms in a solid are tightly bound to each other, either in a regular geometric lattice (crystalline solids, which include metals and ordinary water ice) or irregularly (an amorphous solid such as common window glass).

:D
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
Santcuff

Postby Aubade » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:29 am

Santcuff wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:

Define solid.

Solid - one of the major states of matter. It is characterized by structural rigidity and resistance to changes of shape or volume. Unlike a liquid, a solid object does not flow to take on the shape of its container, nor does it expand to fill the entire volume available to it like a gas does. The atoms in a solid are tightly bound to each other, either in a regular geometric lattice (crystalline solids, which include metals and ordinary water ice) or irregularly (an amorphous solid such as common window glass).

:D

-_- Smart-ass.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Santcuff » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:30 am

I blame Wikipedia.
And yes, I am a smart-ass sometimes :D

Edit:
Damn schools over... back to having no interwebz until tomorrow.
Last edited by Santcuff on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
Santcuff

Postby Aubade » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:32 am

Santcuff wrote:I blame Wikipedia.

I love Wikipedia =]

Well. Wiki-anything Really.
Aubade

Postby Talderas » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:32 am

Santcuff wrote:I blame Wikipedia.

Well, that's not really a smart ass answer. If we consider the liquidity of Final Fantasy characters. They are not well defined, leaving them rather fluid in how a person can perceive the character.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby Vanifae » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:36 am

Snake-Aes wrote:

Define solid.

Somewhat believable characters and not just hyper-competent teens and tweens that save the world and have a host of stupid issues.

Example Final Fantasy Tropes:

Standard anime young girl heroine:
Usually shy, very feminine to the point of being a caricature of what women really are. Usually ignorant of the "real" world and has no idea how to cope with actual human feelings. Usually hyper cheery, oblivious, and probably somewhat suffering from the damsel in distress complex.

Standard male lead: Hyper-competent for their age, looks very effeminate, wears a ton of buckles and ridiculous clothing. Impulsive tends to make really dumb decisions and often has odd or strange motivations. Usually not in touch with their feelings and usually falls in love with the main female lead who is also equally clueless.

Older Female Character: Tends to be sexy, mature, and sometimes moody. Characterized by her physical qualities more so than her mental ones initially. tends to be somewhat jaded, had a hard life, or even starts as a villain. usually not a love interest for the main characters because they are too old, like in their twenties... rarely thirties.

Older male character: Either looks ridiculously old or looks very young but has scruff on face to signify age and maturity. Often lecherous or at least "worldly" tends to be a mentor. Usually exudes "cool" and probably dies before the end of the story. One other common trait they have in common with most male characters is that they look very effeminate especially in FF games. But not always.

Token Black Dude: Just bad, sorry Japan but yeah blacksploitation was done to death in the 70's.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Vanifae » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:41 am

Basically for an RPG if I can't take the characters seriously then my enjoyment diminishes significantly.
Vanifae

Postby Talderas » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:46 am

Vanifae wrote:Token Black Dude: Just bad, sorry Japan but yeah blacksploitation was done to death in the 70's.

I don't know about that. They have actually depicted black guys away from the stereotype of terrible fathers. Both Barrett and Sazh are single fathers and they try to do right by their kids as best as they can.
Talderas

Postby Vanifae » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:48 am

Talderas wrote:
Vanifae wrote:Token Black Dude: Just bad, sorry Japan but yeah blacksploitation was done to death in the 70's.

I don't know about that. They have actually depicted black guys away from the stereotype of terrible fathers. Both Barrett and Sazh are single fathers and they try to do right by their kids as best as they can.

The single father thing is a more recent phenomenon of the 80's and 90's actually.
Vanifae

Postby Aubade » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 am

Of the 10 minutes i've seen/played of FFXIII I love Sazh,.
Aubade

Postby Talderas » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:51 am

Aubade wrote:Of the 10 minutes i've seen/played of FFXIII I love Sazh,.

Sazh and Fang are the only two characters I liked instantly. Vanille, Lightning, Hope, and Snow are too irrational.
Talderas

Postby Vanifae » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:52 am

Talderas wrote:
Aubade wrote:Of the 10 minutes i've seen/played of FFXIII I love Sazh,.

Sazh and Fang are the only two characters I liked instantly. Vanille, Lightning, Hope, and Snow are too irrational.

I can agree with this sentiment.
Vanifae

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum