Remove Advertisements

Holy PVE tri-spec

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Holy PVE tri-spec

Postby smiter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:25 pm

First off I just want to throw out my thanks to the moderator's for making this one of the best paladin websites I have found even for off tanking topics.

I understand the title of this post may be quite confusing. Basically I am looking for opinions on the viability of using my secondary talent spec for both ret and holy options. I do not mean making some God-awful hybrid spec but a straight up ret set and then re-speccing holy when I want a break from tanking or dpsing.

I know this is going to cost some gold, and as I am already pretty well geared in ret gear as current off spec. I am not looking to make the holy spec end-game raid ready by any means. I just find myself quickly acquiring many EoT's and thought between rolling on Heroic healing gear and extra EoT's and spending some gold on non-epic geming I could make a pretty solid healing spec to further my game playing experience.

I Have never healed and only in the last couple months concentrated on DPS. I leveled as a tank and that is by far what I know and am best at though I am solid at DPS as well.

Healing just never really interested me until lately and I was just wondering about other player's experiences with it. Is it as challenging as tanking? How important is positioning yourself? I realize LOS is paramount and obvisously don't stand in fire as well.

I think having some healing experience would also help improve my tanking by providing some additional insight into what healers go through.

Sorry for a long winded post and again I appreciate any and all advice on this subject and would love to hear from other players who are doing anything similar to this.
smiter

Re: Holy PVE tri-spec

Postby Aedh » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:35 pm

So.....

You want a spec for tanking?

And an offspec that is either ret or holy?

And you want to go about occasionally respecing?

Um that should work.
Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Whatever happened to Quebec seceding? If they do that, can we invade? America could really use the revenue from exporting syrup and hockey players.
Aedh

Postby sherck » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:56 am

Go to this thread: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic

Post # 3.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby lythac » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:47 am

smiter wrote:I am not looking to make the holy spec end-game raid ready by any means. I just find myself quickly acquiring many EoT's and thought between rolling on Heroic healing gear and extra EoT's and spending some gold on non-epic geming I could make a pretty solid healing spec to further my game playing experience.
Is it as challenging as tanking?
I think having some healing experience would also help improve my tanking by providing some additional insight into what healers go through.

I see 2 choices you have, either aim higher or roll an alt for healing.

Healing 232/245/258/264 tanks with 232 gear in level 200 instances (for the start) won't be challenging and may give you the wrong idea about healing. If you want to heal on your Paladin I would go holy for the previous tier of raiding that you are doing, which hopefully would be TotC. Heal a few 5 mans first to get the general idea but I wouldn't stay in them too long.

The other option is an alt. Not sharing instance lockouts for when you want to heal rather than Tank/DPS and being able to heal without having to respec (and reglyph) seem like a good thing. Not having 232 straight away could also provide a slight challenge in the 5 mans if you are grouped with a tank of similar gear level. Will give you a lot of frustration with annoying DPS and bad tanks but should give you a better view on what healing is about.

If you aim low it won't be what you are after with the gear you have available.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:37 am

lythac wrote:I see 2 choices you have, either aim higher or roll an alt for healing.

Healing 232/245/258/264 tanks with 232 gear in level 200 instances (for the start) won't be challenging and may give you the wrong idea about healing. If you want to heal on your Paladin I would go holy for the previous tier of raiding that you are doing, which hopefully would be TotC. Heal a few 5 mans first to get the general idea but I wouldn't stay in them too long.

The other option is an alt. Not sharing instance lockouts for when you want to heal rather than Tank/DPS and being able to heal without having to respec (and reglyph) seem like a good thing. Not having 232 straight away could also provide a slight challenge in the 5 mans if you are grouped with a tank of similar gear level. Will give you a lot of frustration with annoying DPS and bad tanks but should give you a better view on what healing is about.

If you aim low it won't be what you are after with the gear you have available.

I agree with this. Here is what happened to me.

I had the EXACT same experiance you are going through about 4 months ago.. I was prot / ret and decided to gear up as holy offspec.. I never went back to RET because like previously mentioned.. the cost of respecs.. glyphs... and for some people the gear can be a challenge to keep up with for all 3.

I tank ICC 10/25- and find myself rarely able (due to raid locks) to use any other therefore I RARELY use my offspec(s) for raid purposes. The few exceptions are usually very low end and at this point in my raiding experiance.. boring..uld, toc, voa, runnin w/ another friend whose a tank..

Therefore I COMPLETELY agree to having an alt leveled up and using him as your missing spec..I just finished lvling a lock and got him to a 4500 gearscore and he is completely OWNING in everything.

To completely contradict myself though.. I would recommend maybe just snagging the most basic heroics / blacksmith items and hitting a few heroics just to get the feel of it and let that experiance help you decide if you will like ret or holy more.. I prefer holy its more interactive and requires 1/2 a brain
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby smiter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks for the advice,

I actually decided against trying holy out and am going to level up a Hunter. So far having a blast with him and have only been on my main for my daily frost badge run and when my guild asks me to tank anything (at this point its more like making me tank for them) but I don't mind since they help me out leveling the hunter. It's almost like cheating leveling a hunter particularly in leveling gear.
smiter

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes