Remove Advertisements

Comprehensive List of Boss Parry Haste (v4.0.3)

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Comprehensive List of Boss Parry Haste (v4.0.3)

Postby theckhd » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:26 am

Credit goes to Jerey of Darkspear for coming up with this idea. Since he is no longer interested in maintaining the list, I've taken over the job.

First of all, here's the list. Scroll down to the next post to see how you can help contribute to it.

Tier 11

Blackwing Descent
Magmatron - Unknown
Electron - Unknown
Toxitron - Unknown
Arcanotron - Unknown
Magmaw - Unknown
Maloriak - Unknown
Atramedes - Unknown
Chimaeron - Unknown
Onyxia - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here by kakashi
Nefarian - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here by kakashi

Bastion of Twilight
Halfus Wyrmbreaker - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here by kakashi for Halfus and Nether Scion
Valiona Theralion - Unknown
Twilight Ascendant Council - Unknown
Cho'gall - Unknown
Lady Sinestra - Unknown

Throne of Four Winds
Conclave of Wind - Unknown
Al'Akir - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here by cappytoi

Baradin Hold (PvP)
Argaloth - Unknown

Wrath Bosses
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

How to contribute

Postby theckhd » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:45 am

How to contribute

There are three primary ways to contribute data to this list. They are:
  1. Combat Log parses (WoL, WMO, etc)
  2. Addon-compiled data
  3. Raw combat log analysis (MATLAB/Octave)

Combat Log Parses - These are going to be the crudest sources of data, since they're typically limited to a few data points. However, a few good data points are all it takes. Simply link to the WoL/WMO parse and copy/paste the relevant lines, as Jerey described in the old thread:

Jerey-Darkspear wrote:An example format for a confirmation post would be as follows:
Gormok the Impaler - Parry Haste Enabled

Attack speed of roughly 1.8 seconds with no player parries...
Code: Select all
[20:08:35.078] Gormok the Impaler hits Notforgiven Parry
[20:08:36.906] Gormok the Impaler hits Notforgiven Parry

Attack speed of roughly 1.2 seconds after two player parries...
Code: Select all
[20:08:44.890] Gormok the Impaler hits Notforgiven Parry
[20:08:45.359] Notforgiven Holy Vengeance Gormok the Impaler Parry
[20:08:45.734] Strombolli hits Gormok the Impaler Parry
[20:08:46.093] Gormok the Impaler hits Notforgiven 4604 (A: 740)

Addon-compiled data - Tbdsamman has written an addon that detects boss parry-hasting. Information can be found in this thread. The project is ongoing, so if you're interested in helping refine this addon, head over there.

I'm not sure that the addon has a convenient output format to analyze yet, but I believe that's one of the primary short-term goals.

Raw Combat Log analysis - In the same thread, Cliffton wrote an Octave/Matlab script that takes a raw combat log (the raw text file generated from using the /combatlog command) and goes through it line by line. He and I have been refining it somewhat to try and incorporate boss spell-casting (removing false negatives). This script produces graphs that make it easy to spot parry-hasting graphically.

Contributing a raw combat log of a particular boss fight (or even an entire raid) that we can run through this script is one of the most convenient ways for us to look for parry-hasting. Combat log files are generally going to be large (a several-hour raid can be 150+ MB), so you'll probably have to upload them to a file hosting service and provide a download link - we'll do the rest. The raw combat logs that the game generates are found in your \World of Warcraft\Logs\ folder. The game will use the filename "WoWCombatLog.txt" and will continue to append to that file until you delete it.

To contribute via this method, go to that folder and delete or rename the WoWCombatLog.txt file (generally before you start WoW). Then start up WoW, zone into your raid instance, type "/combatlog" (which should give you a text confirmation that combat logging is enabled), and raid. Once your raid is over, upload the WoWCombatLog.txt file to the file-hosting service and give us the link. You can rename the file however you like for record-keeping purposes.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Old bosses

Postby theckhd » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:45 am

Tested in 3.3.x or earlier
Icecrown Citadel
Lord Marrowgar - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here, here
Lady Deathwhisper - Parry Haste Enabled - Confirmed here, here
Gunship (Saurfang/Bronzebeard) - -
Deathbringer Saurfang - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here
Festergut - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here
Rotface - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here
Professor Putricide - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here, here
Prince Taldaram - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here
Prince Valanar - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here
Blood-Queen Lana'thel - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here
Sindragosa - Parry Haste Enabled - Confirmed here
The Lich King - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here

Onyxia's Lair
Onyxia - Parry Haste Enabled - Confirmed here, here?

Crusader's Coliseum
Gormok the Impaler - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed Here
Acidmaw - Parry Haste Enabled - Confirmed Here
Dreadscale - Parry Haste Enabled - Confirmed Here, here
Icehowl - Parry Haste Enabled - Confirmed Here, here
Lord Jaraxxus - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed Here, here
Faction Champions - Not looking for these as they're not a tanking encounter
Fjola Lightbane - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here
Eydis Darkbane - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here
Anub'Arak - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here, here

Ulduar
Razorscale - -
Ignis the Furnace Master - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed Here
XT-002 Deconstructor - -
Stormcaller Brundir - -
Runemaster Molgeim - -
Steelbreaker - -
Kologarn - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed Here
Auriaya - -
Hodir - -
Thorim - -
Freya - -
Mimiron - -
General Vezax - -
Yogg-Saron - -

The Eye of Eternity
Malygos - -

The Obsidian Sanctum
Sartharion - -

Vault of Archavon
Archavon the Stone Watcher - -
Emalon the Storm Watcher - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here
Koralon the Flame Watcher - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed here
Toravon the Ice Watcher - -

Naxxramus
Anub'Rekhan - -
Grand Widow Faerlina - -
Maexxna - -
Patchwerk - Parry Haste Disabled - Confirmed Here
Grobbulus - -
Gluth - -
Thaddius - -
Noth the Plaguebringer - -
Heigan the Unclean - -
Loatheb - -
Instructor Razuvious - N/A
Gothik the Harvester - -
Lady Blaumeux - -
Thane Korth'azz - -
Baron Rivendare - -
Sir Zeliek - -
Sapphiron - -
Kel'Thuzad - -
theckhd

Re: Comprehensive List of Bosses With Parry Haste Enabled (v2.0)

Postby Arjuna » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:46 am

whoa, that's a lot of red text...

Is this the beginning of a plan from blizzard's side to remove the function of parry-haste in total maybe?
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Roots » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:10 am

Arjuna wrote:whoa, that's a lot of red text...

Is this the beginning of a plan from blizzard's side to remove the function of parry-haste in total maybe?

They'd have to adjust the parry DR to match dodges DR then, at which point they are functionally equivalent. I think the change in healthpools/healing in Cata will allow them to leave parry haste on a lot more bosses (I'm lookin at you VanCleef)
Roots

Postby Hokahey » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:45 pm

The contents of another thread make that very statement. Parry will be a damage reduction stat in Cataclysm, and there will be no hasted effect.
Hokahey

Postby Arjuna » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:21 am

Hokahey wrote:

The contents of another thread make that very statement. Parry will be a damage reduction stat in Cataclysm, and there will be no hasted effect.

yup, just saw :)
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Gavinas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:34 am

Hokahey wrote:The contents of another thread make that very statement. Parry will be a damage reduction stat in Cataclysm, and there will be no hasted effect.

Obviously it's very early to speculate about this but I'm curious to how the parry damage reduction will be applied to bosses parrying player attacks. If they get the 50% damage reduction on the next attack effect as well I could see that potentially affecting many attacks in a raid situation due to latency, similar to how warriors can spell reflect multiple spells that hit at almost the same time.
Gavinas

Postby Chicken » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:46 pm

Gavinas wrote:
Hokahey wrote:The contents of another thread make that very statement. Parry will be a damage reduction stat in Cataclysm, and there will be no hasted effect.

Obviously it's very early to speculate about this but I'm curious to how the parry damage reduction will be applied to bosses parrying player attacks. If they get the 50% damage reduction on the next attack effect as well I could see that potentially affecting many attacks in a raid situation due to latency, similar to how warriors can spell reflect multiple spells that hit at almost the same time.
Mobs could also just continue using the old mechanics, I'd say that's something best left to testing once it is that far. Block being changed for mobs would also actually have a fairly hefty effect on tanks as it so happens; currently mobs already block but it's typically for very meaningless amounts, they'd definitely have a much more noticeable damage reduction if they started blocking for 30% of damage taken like players will be doing. We also don't even know the exact mechanics of the parry damage reduction yet: It could affect all types of attacks after the parry even if they wouldn't be parryable, or it could only be for parryable attacks, or something else entirely.

Too many questions to ask to really know how it'll work.
Chicken

Postby tlitp » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:50 pm

Chicken wrote:(...) currently mobs already block but it's typically for very meaningless amounts, they'd definitely have a much more noticeable damage reduction if they started blocking for 30% of damage taken like players will be doing.

That's a fairly popular misconception. You know, there is a reason for block events being listed as top priority. We don't request data just for our own amusement. :P

Just look at the data provided by Tree (relatively large data sample, lack of buff/uptime variability). Average hit damage is 610, and the blocked amount is listed as an utterly ridiculous 4-6 damage. If one actually parses the log, it's easy to spot the average damage of a blocked hit... which is around 530 (ergo a ~80 reduction, corresponding to 13%). Moral of the story : much like its brethren, resisted amount, blocked amount is reported non-intuitively by Blizzard's CL, therefore being parsed equally non-intuitively by third-party services.
tlitp

Postby Macktruck » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:16 pm

Despite the change to Parry mechanics, I'm not really understanding the purpose of removing parry haste from so many bosses when it's not really needed and not that I'm complaining or anything. Rotface, Putricide, Lanathel, etc. don't really follow the whole "if I get parry hasted, you're gonna die."

But the thing I'm really confused about is leaving it on Sindragosa and Deathwisper. Deathwhisper it really doesn't matter since she mainly casts and not unlike Kel'Thuzad. Sindragosa is well, meh.
Macktruck

Postby Hokahey » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:56 pm

Macktruck wrote:

But the thing I'm really confused about is leaving it on Sindragosa and Deathwisper. Deathwhisper it really doesn't matter since she mainly casts and not unlike Kel'Thuzad. Sindragosa is well, meh.

I'll advance 2 (ultimately irrelevant) theories.

#1) Blizzard is lazy. These bosses are both obvious rehashings of 2 previous encounters, with some minor tweaks. Perhaps they just took a lot of the original work, and changed only the absolute minimum they needed to, in order to save time/money/effort in development.

#2) Blizzard sees something we don't. This is obvious to a degree, but perhaps they foresaw a tuning/balancing issue by not having Parry haste involved. Perhaps the absence of Parry haste somehow bugs the encounter.
Hokahey

Postby Kelaan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:44 am

I think it's that in neither case is a parry-hasted melee a serious concern. Deathwhisper's main threat is of an uninterrupted frostbolt, and Sindragosa's is that ... you die to frost damage, or (in my case) others die in the raid.
Kelaan

Postby Thalastor82 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 am

so basically this means that, in all ICC, expertise must be considered as threat stat, and gives no considerable damage and/or spike reduction?
Thalastor82

Postby Boyfriend » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:04 am

Sindragosas melee damage is not trivial, but it is difficult to fit expertise/FR/Armor all into one gear set; but apart from Sindragosa expertise is a trheat only stat, and on Sindragosa it's probably behind CritImmune/FR/Health/Armor. (The one fight where expertise is good won't let you trade much Avoidance for Expertise, which is what you'd want, due to other restrictions)
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations