Remove Advertisements

Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby Aelissa » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:49 pm

There is no question about whether TIM is evil or not. He smokes, so he must be evil. If you handed him the station he would probably turn it into a giant cigarette factory, so you clearly have to destroy it.
Aelissa

Postby Arcand » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:54 pm

Aelissa wrote:There is no question about whether TIM is evil or not. He smokes, so he must be evil. If you handed him the station he would probably turn it into a giant cigarette factory, so you clearly have to destroy it.

He cannot possibly be evil. He has no goatee.
Arcand

Postby Gracerath » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Io.Draco wrote:
Passionario wrote:
ulushnar wrote:Have to say, I was disappointed with the big bad at the end. The bad guys this time around really lacked a "Saren", for want of a better word; a true nemesis for Shepard rather than a bunch of remote control grunts.

One could argue that the true nemesis of Shepard in ME2 is the Illusive Man.

That's a point of a view from an ignorant Paragon.

Seriously he brings you back from the dead, gives you a ship with a full crew, gives you free reign over the Lazarus Cell and the mission and in return he only asks you to give him the Collector Base.

Sounds fair enough to me.

Even though its the paragon option, it seems more renegade to me. Not in the scope of being "bad/selfish" but in the scope of going against the expected for the nature you're trying to role play in game. After all those favors The Illusive Man did for you, you'd think you WOULD be grateful and do a small favor for him but instead you tell him to fuck off. I did the Illusive Man a solid by saving the galaxy (and assuredly will do so again in ME3, thus allowing him to continue to exist), he doesn't need anything more from me.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:30 pm

To be honest i could have cared less I was too busy boning Tali.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Passionario » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:26 am

Saren and TIM were working for the same goal: to save their kind from genocide by getting into bed with the Reapers.
The only difference between them was, to borrow a phrase from Start of Darkness, that Saren was willing to be the Bitch, while TIM insisted on being the Butch.

Io.Draco wrote:That's a point of a view from an ignorant Paragon.

Seriously he brings you back from the dead, gives you a ship with a full crew, gives you free reign over the Lazarus Cell and the mission and in return he only asks you to give him the Collector Base.

Sounds fair enough to me.

Look at it this way: if the Lich King raised your fallen hero from dead, gave you a personal mini-necropolis, bound a crew of other undead ex-heroes into your servitude and, in return, asked you to go to Ulduar to enslave Yogg-Saron into the Scourge's service... would you do it, if you had another option?
Last edited by Passionario on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Folstar » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:30 am

I still don't get who wouldn't care about boobs...

Also, why is Obama's meaner looking brother in this game?
Folstar

Postby Lumennon » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:06 am

Io.Draco wrote:There is one thing I would like to add to this thread.

<Shepard.>

Enjoy.

So do I.

Ebbitt wrote:Arthas is sitting there watching over the front door then... SURPRISE BUTTSECKS, we just got inside by the back door and facerolled all your defenses.
Lumennon
Maintankadonor

Postby Passionario » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:22 am

On a totally unrelated note, I'm now officially addicted to Biotic Charge.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Njall » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:46 am

Or, of course, this.

Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Passionario wrote:Saren and TIM were working for the same goal: to save their kind from genocide by getting into bed with the Reapers.

Saren seemed willing to watch the galaxy burn, as long as he personally survived. When he appealed to me and my team to join him, I considered it desperate improvisation rather than concern for my welfare.

TIM appears determined to destroy the greatest enemy of the human race, which puts him on my team for the moment. He quite possibly wants to save humanity just so he can rule us all, but I'll worry about that after the last Reaper hits the floor. When it comes to nemesis triage, you deal with the exterminators first, then the tyrants. :)

(I'll be pretty astonished if he hasn't installed some kind of killswitch during the Lazarus process, but nevertheless I am determined that if Shepard doesn't like where TIM's taking her species, she will find a way to screw him over.)
Arcand

Postby Aelissa » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:30 pm

It's funny though that almost all the crew members, including even Miranda, say they agreed with what you did if you choose to destroy the station.

I was almost tempted to save the station even on my paragorn playthrough - but then TIM is a smoker, and Scully and Mulder would never give such an evil weapon to the cancer man either now, would they?
Aelissa

Postby Namaztak » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:17 pm

Mass Effect sitcom thread I found on 4chanarchive (still not breaking rules 1&2...)

http://4chanarchive.org/brchive/dspl_th ... ect+Sitcom

NSFW but pretty much only because of the archive's ads.
Namaztak

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:13 pm

It's funny though that almost all the crew members, including even Miranda, say they agreed with what you did if you choose to destroy the station.

They agree with you because they are your team and considering what you got them through, they trust you implicitly.

They don't like if you keep the base, not because they think its a bad decision but because they either don't like Cerberus ( alien crew ), or because they feel sickened by what happened there ( Miranda, Jacob ).

I should point out though that ( if you bring em with you to the reaper ) Garrus, Mordin, Grunt, Zaeed, Legion all speak in favor of destroying the base. Tali, Thane, Jack and Jacob strongly disapprove of keeping it while Miranda simply reminds you of the experiments, but does agree to an extent they should use the base. Samara/Morinth just says you have not truly defeated an enemy if you use their tech, but then again you do rely on the Mass Relays and always will.

Look at it this way: if the Lich King raised your fallen hero from dead, gave you a personal mini-necropolis, bound a crew of other undead ex-heroes into your servitude and, in return, asked you to go to Ulduar to enslave Yogg-Saron into the Scourge's service... would you do it, if you had another option?

Your comparing the Lich King to TIM, which is hilarous. First off you assume that the Lich King would give you free reign of an critical operation. Secondly you cannot compare the Scourge to Cerberus seriously.

While Cerberus did do so pretty horibile things, it never committed genocide, nor does it want to annihilate aliens or install humanit as the emperor race in the Galaxy ( Kelly and Miranda confirm this ) it simply wants to advance the power of the human race in the Galaxy.

Considering the other governments in the Galaxy are run by complete and utter morons, I will take my chances with TIM, he did more for me then the Alliance + Council did combined.

Even though its the paragon option, it seems more renegade to me. Not in the scope of being "bad/selfish"

I agree here. People who destroy the base don't do it cause they have some moral qualm or crap like that, they do it cause they have issues with TIM.
Io.Draco

Postby Vanifae » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:23 pm

This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Aelissa » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:01 pm

Io.Draco wrote:They don't like if you keep the base, not because they think its a bad decision but because they either don't like Cerberus ( alien crew ), or because they feel sickened by what happened there ( Miranda, Jacob ).

That statement doesn't really make much sense to me, since it is clear they do think it is a bad decision, exactly because they distrust what Cerberus would use the station for.

Also, Cerberus shows that it is willing to do whatever it takes to advance the human agenda - so being loyal to Cerberus for me would only work if you are roleplaying a human supremacist Shepard. In this regard the paragorn/renegade points system rather fails. If you look at being a paragorn, who are you looking at for setting your moral compass? I think the game tends to look more at what would be the right thing to do for someone who would support the establishment (the council/alliance) rather than someone who would support Cerberus (still being seen as a rogue organization, even if they are your employers). But you could of course argue that your character uses the viewpoints of Cerberus to set his or her moral compass.

The Paragorn/renegade system is refreshingly different from good/evil, but still suffers from the same flaws, and doesn't actually improve things on the whole. It's just a new flavour for the same thing.
Aelissa

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games