0/54/15 - Am I missing something?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:16 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAruRusIufdxcrzb:R

I've been on the tank scene since mid TBC and come to understand the value of 969. Now a days, I'm capable of sustaining around 10k TPS without tricks/MDs. However, the above spec is what I see more often than not on my server with guilds deep into ICC. I'm big into talking with other prot paladins to see why they gear/gem/spec the way they do and the general answer I get when I ask them about their spec is "it's better than 969".
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Re: 0/54/15 - Am I missing something?

Postby Vorianloken » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Fenrìr wrote:http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAruRusIufdxcrzb:R

I've been on the tank scene since mid TBC and come to understand the value of 969. Now a days, I'm capable of sustaining around 10k TPS without tricks/MDs. However, the above spec is what I see more often than not on my server with guilds deep into ICC. I'm big into talking with other prot paladins to see why they gear/gem/spec the way they do and the general answer I get when I ask them about their spec is "it's better than 969".

Probably some kind of encounter specific trash spec (reck) but then there is the glyph and imp hammer which sort of suggests an interrupt spec or something... seems really weird.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby blakk » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:27 pm

not having crusade right there makes this spec not a top tps or aoe spec. it's either an interupt spec or they are just misinformed.
blakk

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Hard to be an interrupt spec when they use it day in and day out.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:32 pm

Maybe they just hate dealing more damage? Perhaps one of their DPS gets so mad when he passes a certain damage threshold that his brain overloads and he blacks out.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Vorianloken » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:57 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Maybe they just hate dealing more damage? Perhaps one of their DPS gets so mad when he passes a certain damage threshold that his brain overloads and he blacks out.

^^ win
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby theckhd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:02 am

Fenrìr wrote:http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAruRusIufdxcrzb:R

Well, as far as single-target threat goes, they're wrong. 0/2 Imp. Judgement means they can't be doing 969, which means they're immediately inferior in single-target DPS/TPS output.

It could be some sort of LK-specific spec. Picking up Imp. HoJ to be able to stun a Valkyr every time (though iirc only 1/2 is necessary for that) and Reckoning to do more damage to the adds in Phase 1. Since single-target threat isn't as critical in the LK fight, that may be an acceptable trade.

I'd stil have taken Imp. Judgement, but maybe this spec is for their 10-man group that doesn't have a ret or warrior for the improved AP buff. I'm not sure that the extra AP is a rdps increase over using regular Might and speccing Crusade for a 10-man group though, unless it's all melee dps.

However, generally when someone has a weird spec and can't give a clearer justification than "it's better than 969," it usually means "I haven't done any research into how to spec properly." Most people who pick funny specs for a good reason can summarize why in under a sentence ("It's a peculiar spec for the LK fight that cover certain raid buffs my 10-man group lacks").
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby bldavis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:42 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Maybe they just hate dealing more damage? Perhaps one of their DPS gets so mad when he passes a certain damage threshold that his brain overloads and he blacks out.

this is why i shouldnt read these forums in class, i burst out laughing at that!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Fenrìr » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Aye, Theck, most odd specs do have some specific fight reason. But I was a bit taken back with the whole "it's better than 969" responses I get. So I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some new bandwagon to hop on and ride to the top of Strawberry Hill.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Vorianloken » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:12 pm

nothing is better than 969 unless we get a new spell or they mess with the current cooldowns.

Vorianloken

Postby Arjuna » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:38 am

yes, two talent points... ;)
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Vorianloken » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:24 am

Arjuna wrote:

yes, two talent points... ;)

good call!
:)

Vorianloken

Postby blakk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:27 am

Vorianloken wrote:nothing is better than 969 unless we get a new spell or they mess with the current cooldowns.

There are rotations that can do more tps than 969 but they sacrifice either judgement debuffs or holy shield.
blakk

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:30 am

blakk wrote:
Vorianloken wrote:nothing is better than 969 unless we get a new spell or they mess with the current cooldowns.

There are rotations that can do more tps than 969 but they sacrifice either judgement debuffs or holy shield.

Thus, nothing is better.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby blakk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:40 am

I sometimes use other things instead of holy shield as I'm not blocking often these days and my block has gone down a bit since we don't use the +block librams. Things like HoW sub 20% or if I had as glyphed would replace my hs cast which is just a substitution rotation but still sometimes it's worth it.
blakk

Return to Basic Training & Talents