Remove Advertisements

Seals of the Pure vs. Conviction

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Seals of the Pure vs. Conviction

Postby tanker38 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:51 pm

so i have heard it both ways and figured i would post here to see what yall thought so witch is better for threat in yalls mind SotP or conviction

armory link - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Bulldozzer
tanker38

Re: Seals of the Pure vs. Conviction

Postby theckhd » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:06 pm

I'm not sure which ways you've heard it, but Conviction is trash.

That said, it's the only threat talent we can pick up in tier 3 on the way to Crusade. Most people still prefer the utility of Vindication/PoJ/SoCom to the weak threat benefit of Conviction, but there's no doubt that a 5/5 Conviction + 3/3 Crusade build will out-threat anything else you can do with the Ret or Holy trees for Icecrown.

The only threat improvement I could make in your build (other than the obvious PoJ->Conviction trade) is to pick up the last point in Redoubt by dropping a point in Divinity. But keep in mind that you've skipped over a lot of strong mitigation talents to spec the way you have, and I wouldn't suggest going that route if your raid is depending on you to tank progression content.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby tanker38 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:17 pm

i am main tank for my guild but i do fine with mitigation and as far as pulling a point outta divinity u cant cause u need 2 points to go down to tier 5 since i put no points in tier 4
tanker38

Postby blakk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:26 pm

"i do fine" means you don't care
blakk

Postby tanker38 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:35 pm

lol no i do fine means i don't die en till its a wipe cause we lost other people not cause i died
tanker38

Postby blakk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:38 pm

but what if the healers didn't have to heal you as much? maybe that dps or two that died from the aoe could have lived had the healer been able to heal them for a second instead of you. the less damage you take the less healing you need the more healing other people can get from the healer.
blakk

Postby Hokahey » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:43 pm

blakk wrote:"i do fine" means you don't care

While I wouldn't go that far, I always cringe when a tank says "i do fine" (or anything to that effect) in regards to survivability. There is no cap to survivability, it can always be improved, and should be the primary direction for improvement in a tanking character. The only exception in my mind is if you're exclusively tanking things you and your raid already outgear.

Better tank survivability is a direct path to more successful raids.
Hokahey

Postby tanker38 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

blakk wrote:but what if the healers didn't have to heal you as much? maybe that dps or two that died from the aoe could have lived had the healer been able to heal them for a second instead of you. the less damage you take the less healing you need the more healing other people can get from the healer.

that is y u have tank healers and raid healers tank healers just heal tanks and raid healers heal raid thats simple

and i have to have max threat to keep off the locks and other high dps i have in my guild
tanker38

Postby blakk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:53 pm

even if you have "tank healers" and "raid healers" if you don't have to be healed as much that "tank healer" suddenly has time to heal that dps that just dropped like a stone or that healer that got vile gassed by a dps
blakk

Postby tanker38 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:57 pm

your not getting the point all they do is heal the tanks thats it no one else and then we have raid healers the heal the raid thats it
tanker38

Postby Hokahey » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:04 pm

tanker38 wrote:your not getting the point all they do is heal the tanks thats it no one else and then we have raid healers the heal the raid thats it

Well, I hope you got the answer from this thread that you were looking for.
Hokahey

Postby tanker38 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:08 pm

i did theckhd answered my question it was a simple question that didnt really need to go into healing issues or mitigation issues really
tanker38

Postby 99sitr » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:10 pm

heals in our raid are pretty spot on, when we lose a dps its usually from a total hit that wouldn't have been healable anyway, (blood-bolt splash X2 failure on DPS part to stay out of range of other people), or someone not standing behind a ice block on Sindragosa. I understand what tanker38 is saying, In our raids I know our main tank healers never raid heal because they dont have to, and unless you know that is the case for his raids blakk I wouldn't start dissecting his posts like you did above.
99sitr

Postby Chasey » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:14 pm

tanker38 wrote:i am main tank for my guild but i do fine with mitigation and as far as pulling a point outta divinity u cant cause u need 2 points to go down to tier 5 since i put no points in tier 4

Well Bull you came to the right place for help. And seeing as you asked, about the best person in the world has answered your question and given advice to you. Here at maintankadin, there are many great minds, may people that have advanced to the highest lvl's of the game and some who are not "hardcore" raiders but still know this class way better than you or I will.

See there is "i do fine" thinkers, there is those who confuse sufficient with optimal, then there are those who do everything they can to put together a build who adds mitigation, threat, and functionality. Those who read up and have a lvl of knowledge that most pally tanks in the world will never know.

Now again, seeing as ya asked, I'll give ya few bit of advice.
The gear looks great, only question on that side is the parry gem in the helm? Is the 1/4% parry worth it or would agi/stam or exp/stam be a better option. Very much so, since the armor from agi is more mitigation that the parry and exp is low so that would help getting you to the 26 soft cap.

Build~ You have dabbled in a bunch of talents and spread the optimal build to thing. Reckoning is good but not 5 points good IMO. You don't have any points in Judgements of the just or vindication????? I don't really understand that.
Threat is a non issue for pallys, seems you are trying to hard to push the TPS and becoming a mana sponge for your healers losing some KEY mitigation talents. IF divinity is where you want to go to get into that lower tier great but you could do the same thing going DS/DG getting other mitigation talents and you will not miss the 2% heals you spec'd out of.
Well I hope this helps check this out too http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=1&t=26864&rb_v=viewtopic
Chasey

Postby Chasey » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:18 pm

99sitr wrote:heals in our raid are pretty spot on, when we lose a dps its usually from a total hit that wouldn't have been healable anyway, (blood-bolt splash X2 failure on DPS part to stay out of range of other people), or someone not standing behind a ice block on Sindragosa. I understand what tanker38 is saying, In our raids I know our main tank healers never raid heal because they dont have to, and unless you know that is the case for his raids blakk I wouldn't start dissecting his posts like you did above.

He came looking for advice, he didn't really like the advice becuase he is worried about threat more that staying alive. IF you and him are both staisfied with "i do fine" then why did ya come here?
Chasey

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents