Remove Advertisements

PVE Prot/Ret for Heroics/10mans/Silliness

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

PVE Prot/Ret for Heroics/10mans/Silliness

Postby racecar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:24 am

So, this is a spec I've been toying with since I picked up my Shadow's Edge. The idea behind it was to have a Ret Spec that can viably 2H Tank while putting out a good amount of DPS. Now, most of you are thinking that a Ret with a good healer and RF can tank a heroic anyway, but I wanted to build a spec that put a lot less undue stress on the healer(s). This spec is particularly gear-heavy and I'm not quite to a point where I feel I could comfortably tank in current 10mans. But I'm close to giving it a shot. Take a look:

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Karalyn
Wowhead Talent Calc: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0xN0h ... 0Rz:z0kmzc

As you can tell, the gear is missing some things. I'm about 3% shy of the 102.4% uncrushable mark (4% if I'm using Stam trinkets instead), especially since SBV means nothing in this configuration. A few of my gear pieces could get some good upgrades, but I feel like even with them, I'd fall short. Perhaps some regemming is in order? As you'll notice, this idea hinges on having 2pT10 from the retribution set, which kinda kills some avoidance levels. I've been able to break 40k HP with BG raid buffs, stam trinkets (no flask), so that seems well enough for the first few wings of ICC. Threat hasn't been much of an issue, save for the occasional Warrior who's not targeting my target in a pack of mobs. RD usually takes care of that. DPS output has been decent as well. An average of about 3.5-4k in heroics.

Now, as the title suggests, this is mostly a "Can it work?" idea. I'm quite aware that just taking a Prot spec is easily more efficient. But who among you doesn't think it could be fun to viably 2H Tank as Ret? DKs shouldn't be the only ones! Anyone interested in toying with this idea with me?

Suggestions? Go!
racecar

Re: PVE Prot/Ret for Heroics/10mans/Silliness

Postby thegreatheed » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:45 am

racecar wrote:As you can tell, the gear is missing some things. I'm about 3% shy of the 102.4% uncrushable mark (4% if I'm using Stam trinkets instead)

Maybe you're aware of this, maybe you're not, but if I add up your avoidance on the armory, you're sitting below 60% avoidance, which isn't horrible. You can't block, your 10% block from gear won't help, and the 30% from holy shield won't help either. That means you're sitting at 43% shy of "uncrushable".

According to my math, you'd get more armor from the last point in toughness than you do from 3/3 in devotion aura.

Also, crushing blows are a thing of the past. Uncrushable isn't a requirement to effectively tank. In fact, it's usually called block cap today, because that's all you benefit from it, guaranteed blocks.

Also, 29.5k health for your level of gear is painfully low. You miss out on the stam talents in deep prot. So, if you're looking to lol-tank inconsequential content, (lower tier 10 mans and heroics), sure, you could do it. If you want to tank anything that matters, you're gonna be out of luck.

But who among you doesn't think it could be fun to viably 2H Tank as Ret? DKs shouldn't be the only ones! Anyone interested in toying with this idea with me?
Roll a DK, imo. They start at 55, are incredibly, amazing easy to level. Though I DW frost tank, that's more fun than 2h tanking anyday.
thegreatheed

Postby racecar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:06 am

thegreatheed wrote:
racecar wrote:As you can tell, the gear is missing some things. I'm about 3% shy of the 102.4% uncrushable mark (4% if I'm using Stam trinkets instead)

Maybe you're aware of this, maybe you're not, but if I add up your avoidance on the armory, you're sitting below 60% avoidance, which isn't horrible. You can't block, your 10% block from gear won't help, and the 30% from holy shield won't help either. That means you're sitting at 43% shy of "uncrushable".

I apparently had some misconceptions about block capping. Thanks for that info.

Also, 29.5k health for your level of gear is painfully low. You miss out on the stam talents in deep prot. So, if you're looking to lol-tank inconsequential content, (lower tier 10 mans and heroics), sure, you could do it. If you want to tank anything that matters, you're gonna be out of luck.

Again, with the right buffs and trinkets, I don't think health will be too much of an issue. I've rolled with tanks in ICC10 with just shy of 40k health. They'll usually off-tank, but if the skill is there and the healers are geared enough (the only way I'd consider running something like this) I think it's easily possibly.

Roll a DK, imo. They start at 55, are incredibly, amazing easy to level. Though I DW frost tank, that's more fun than 2h tanking anyday.

Ahh, but that misses the point! If I really wanted to DK tank, then I'd just respec my DK ;) I'm trotting this out to see whether I can 2H tank as a Paladin.
racecar

Postby Jedah » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:18 pm

I think what it comes down to is this:

1) You CAN tank some content that you overgear using a 2H weapon. This may result in fun times.

2) 2H tanking is not currently (and most likely will never be) viable for paladins when compared to using a shield.

Have your fun, but don't try to make it something it's not.
Jedah

Postby Cronus » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:27 am

racecar wrote:DPS output has been decent as well. An average of about 3.5-4k in heroics.

If that is all the DPS output your getting, then why not just go with a prot/ cursador build? My tank build is just that and I took 3/5 reckoning as i mostly tank heroics. I have my gear set up for mass dps/ threat. I roll the greatness trinket/ death bringer and mongoos enchant. I enchant for agility where i can. My dps is 3500 on average and have seen it up to 4600 in heroics. Now bring Raids with multiple adds...Ony whelps, ICC trash and my dps as a tank goes up to almost 10k!!!

If you just want to have the "I tanked w/ 2 hander on my pally" claim...do it and have fun. But if your looking to tank with more dps...prot is the way to go. I rarely have DPS do more total damage than I do in heroics.

Do whats fun...It is only a game afterall and meant to be fun...I know ill be skinned for that comment.
Cronus

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes