Remove Advertisements

(Warrior) Leveling Build Help

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: (Warrior) Leveling Build Help

Postby hoho » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:11 am

For cooldowns it's best to use them sequentally, not all at once. E.g at higher levels when I had most of the tools I generally started with shockwave, shield block after stun is out, survive for a few seconds, another shockwave, shield wall, another shield block, when stuff is still alive I popped tbc quest +hp trinket +last stand+enraged regen to gain some lost HP. Weave in stuns and disarms on more dangerous mobs when you don't have cooldowns up. That kind of sequence basically means I'm nearly indestructible for over a minute.
crazyharry wrote:Also, I can't decide if I like Shield Bash or Spell Reflect more. There is something awesome about whacking a caster with your shield as if to say 'shut up and fight like a man' but nuking them with their own spell is just as much fun.
It's awesome, especially on spellflingers that hit for 80% of your HP. Eat that 60k+ spell reflect! :P
crazyharry wrote:The only downside is I am fast approaching 80 (70 - 74 and a half yesterday) and the gear/rep/badge grind begins in earnest.
It takes about 10 hours to go from instance/quest blues to (almost) full epics. Just run random heroics for a few upgrades and start doing icc5/totc normals for the few goodies there are that you can't get from heroics. From emblems buy the stuff you can't get equivalents from 5-mans. In 10h after dinging I went from 21k UB -> 29k. I think I did around 30 heroics in that time, though I got incredibly lucky with a few drops (RSoC, icc shield and icc trinket dropping on first run).
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Vorianloken » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:30 pm

Half-way to 54 and I am reallly loving warbringer, makes pulling mobs so much easier :P

As to the OP about the badge grind, if you have been using LFG along the way then you should have some triumph badges stocked and when you level to 80 you can just go ahead to the appropriate vendor in Dal and just buy all the tier gear you can :P

Depending on your gold levels I would suggest getting the crafted chest/bracers/belt and tier gloves/legs. You can get nice boots from FoS heroic last boss, and the badge shoulder/helm are better than the respective tier pieces (imo). As for weapons, I would suggest doing the tournament dailies, getting champion with a faction and then buying the tank weapon from the seals, shield get crafted. And rest is just grinding more badges and instances for more drops.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Kelaan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:19 pm

I have a question about leveling as Arms.
My warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hyjal&n=Cielwyn

I'm currently 51/4 specced ... and do not have Bladestorm. I also only have 1/2 of the Rend/haste talent. I'll be filling out the latter, but my questions are:

Is Bladestorm worth it? Is there a loss of control factor, or can I still move? (I also already court the high end of threat of tanks in the few PUGs I've been in, and I'm worried that Bladestorm will get me gibbed.)

What should I use for glyphs? The raiding glyphs are Rend, Mortal Strike, and Execute or Overpower, if I remember EJ right. However, for most trash I found myself cleaving a lot, and when soloing things die in the span of an unglyphed Rend. Should I replace my Rend glyph with the Overpower glyph, or maybe the Execute one? I'm really kindof puzzled at this point. Execute hits hard, but it doesn't seem to happen often enough. Overpower only seems like it would work if I attacked from the front - would the ~6% loss in dps from the extra parries make up for the increased chance of Overpowers? (I'm guessing not.)

I guess I should tailor my glyphs more towards playing in groups, or to soloing. To me, that says (MS + Execute) for soloing, and ... (MS+Cleave) for groups? Or maybe Rend isn't so bad since it can be put on everything in a pull. I don't know.

I did lead the damage charts in the groups I was in (by a large margin) but I don't know if that's because I was Doing It Right, or if it was that everyone else was as clueless as I am. :D Tips on playing Arms are welcome. (Also ... is it viable to tank as Arms while leveling? :D I may wait until 70 when I can get crafted Non-Sucky Gear.)
Kelaan

Postby Jedah » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:36 am

Bladestorm is definitely worth it, but you need to be careful when using it in an instance. Basically, if you aren't prepared to pull aggro on at least 2 mobs, don't even consider using it. The only tanks that are going to able to hold threat off of you if you Bladestorm an AoE pack is a good frost DK or a Seal of command spec'd paladin tank. If for nothing else, get it as an "oh shit" button when you pull 2-4 mobs while questing.

Do not put rend up on more than one target, it's a DPS loss in most situations. If mobs are dying fast, try to put rend on a target you think will die last, then switch to the other more important ones and enjoy your overpowers to the fullest extent.

You *could* tank as arms while leveling, but I wouldn't call it viable. Good DPSers will likely pull off of you on anything other than single target.

Don't get the overpower glyph, it's not worth it. Stick with Rend/MS/Execute, or trade out the execute glyph for Glyph of Bladestorm, if that suits your taste better.

I'd also suggest going fury for leveling and 5 man DPSing, it will out perform arms in instances at any gear level due to the amazingly overpowered glyphed cleave spam with whirlwinds thrown in.

In addition, if you glyph bloodthirst you get generate some significant self-healing, which should leave you with little to no downtime while soloing. This is in stark contract to arms, where you likely find yourself sitting to eat or bandaging quite often.

good luck
Jedah

Postby Kelaan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:43 pm

That's a great point about downtime while soloing... but I mostly will be instance-farming with him, I think. I don't yet want to spring for a second BoA axe, so fury is less appealing ... but also, I figured I would have fun trying arms to learn it. I can always respec later once I get a good second weapon.
Kelaan

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:48 pm

Bladestorm is OMGFUN especially if you have a tank that can hold aggro. SWEEPING STRIKES BLADESTORM HOOOOOOOOO~!!
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Jedah » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:00 pm

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Bladestorm is OMGFUN especially if you have a tank that can hold aggro. SWEEPING STRIKES BLADESTORM HOOOOOOOOO~!!

I'm pretty sure they nerfed SS+BS to no longer stack a few patches ago. I could be wrong, though, and I can't check because of work filters =(

Also, you might want to macro "/y INCOMING AGGROSTORM -- HEAL ME!!!!" to your bladestorm.... If I don't do that on ICC trash, I'm toast. Lol
Jedah

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:15 pm

They nerfed it, but they still stack. For example, Bladestorm only hits 4 targets. With Sweeping Strike active, you can hit 5, for a total of 6 extra white swings worth of damage.

Something I don't think anyone mentioned is Glyph of Sweeping Strikes. Again, if you have a good tank, popping SS on CD with no rage cost is w00t. But yes, AGGROSTORM is a good indication.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes