Should I tank Gruul's Lair or our Warrior tank?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Should I tank Gruul's Lair or our Warrior tank?

Postby Spartes » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:57 pm

In about 2 weeks we are venturing off to Gruul's. I will be leading it, but for the benefit of the guild, who should I give the MT spot to? our Warrior, or should I take on HK and Gruul.

I assume I'm the better tank since have a lot more stam, with the proper avoidance. He has more total avoidance tho. What do my fellow tankadins think?

Armory of warrior:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Tallcastle

I have the badges for the girdle by the way, and I'll be enchanting my boots with 12 stam soon, which should probably put me close to 15k unbuffed. My armory is on my sig.
Spartes

Postby Extremity » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:13 pm

Have him tank with you offtanking simply because he has more "oh shit" buttons. Judge crusader and immediately start stacking vengeance, judging it whenever it's up. You should have hunters MDing to keep you as second threat but you shouldn't have much of a problem holding it on your own. Pop AW whenever it's up (but save it for when you have 5 stacks and can output some mana after you pop it). I offtank for Gruul even though I've got enough gear to MT him just because it's so easy for me to stay second on threat and it would be harder for a warrior. As a plus, when/if the warrior dies you get to save the day!
Extremity

Postby Spartes » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:20 pm

Well, we all know that warriors have more oh shit buttons, but that doesn't really give me reason to give up the MT slot simple because if that were the case, we'd never MT if a warrior is available.

I just assumed at 25 mans, it's all about the stam to give the healers a lot more room to heal.
Spartes

Postby Gavel » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:43 am

You should tank it, and have a feral or him eat the hurtfuls. Prot paladin secondary threat leaves a lot to be desired. Have him intervene you every cooldown for rage + damage absorption, but try to have him have Intervene available for the silences. You can't shield block during a raid silence, and that's never pleasant.

Be ready to roll Ironshields on your first kill, most tanks are forced to as DPS isn't really there. Past 12 growths is probably where you should start, depending on your gear and your healers gear. That being said, pre-Gruul gear has come a long way from the Dungeon set blues it used to be. iLvl 128s from badges is pretty damn nice.
Gavel

Postby Bubbleoseven » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:44 am

well i say go for it, a lot of people are gonna say let the warrior do it, your good at other bosses (aoe gimmick) but ffs if your the guilds usual MT why give up a progression kill??
Bubbleoseven

Postby Spartes » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:11 am

Well, technically he's the guild's MT, however we are both the MT's of the guild in a sense. He is MT for one kara group, while I am the MT for the other kara group. Both groups have kara on farm. I have MT'd everything there, and continue to do so.

Neither of us have done gruul's. I'm just trying to see who's going to give the healers the easier time, so to speak.

I know they have damage reduction thru def stance. As for hits, who will take them better? I have more armor/stam. I don't know the details with warrior dmg reduction.

All in all, I'll probably have him go in as a test. If HK drops him quick, I guess i'll step in, but yes, I'm all about MT'ing as much progression as I can.
Spartes

Postby Gray » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:27 am

You'd be fine. I've never MT'd him, but our druid usually dies at around 15-20%, and around 9 stacks (yes, dps is slow), i pick him up and hold him until he gets downed. I take blows of around 6-13k (the times he actually touches me) , but the healers seem to keep me up easily.

I'd love to MT him myself from the start of the encounter, but alot of the "old" WoW players, refuse to believe in a tankadin *shrugs*. At least i got my T4 legs and ALD on the first two visits :D

My profile btw

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... awn&n=Gray
Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:54 pm

Little update:

I got to tank him tonight, and alhtough i died a 3% (healer dc, and a few bad landings at ground stomp, had no healing for 9 seconds in Grow 12), we killed him anyway. It was once of my greatest tanking nights. Think I changed a few minds..hopefully
Gray

Postby Vanifae » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:04 pm

Gray wrote:Little update:

I got to tank him tonight, and alhtough i died a 3% (healer dc, and a few bad landings at ground stomp, had no healing for 9 seconds in Grow 12), we killed him anyway. It was once of my greatest tanking nights. Think I changed a few minds..hopefully

Good job, once you get Gruul down a few times you realize it is more od a DPS race then anything.

Your main job as the tanks is to set as high a ceiling as possible for the melee.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Lev » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:18 am

He has WAY more Avoidance, thats right. BUT also he does not has the Stamina Level a karatzhan equipped tank should have. Also you got more a little more amor and quiet a lot of more stamina. This will make YOU being easier to heal i think. But he might die pretty fast by taking some dmg spikes.
Lev

Postby Kyroro » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:13 am

The worst things about Gruul for a pally tank are the silences. If you don't get a HS up you're going to eat a crushing. At 10+ grows, that is pretty bad. Warriors don't have this problem, nor do druids, which puts pallies at a disadvantage.
Kyroro

Postby ulushnar » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:21 am

Kyroro wrote:The worst things about Gruul for a pally tank are the silences. If you don't get a HS up you're going to eat a crushing. At 10+ grows, that is pretty bad. Warriors don't have this problem, nor do druids, which puts pallies at a disadvantage.

Yeah, Druids just eat crushes all the time.

Silences aren't a problem if your healers have the common sense to DoT the tank to hell and back during a silence. One other trick we sometimes do if we have too many tanks is we'll have a Warrior OT Intervene during the silences, takes away at least one hit from you.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Gray » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:33 am

Kyroro wrote:The worst things about Gruul for a pally tank are the silences. If you don't get a HS up you're going to eat a crushing. At 10+ grows, that is pretty bad. Warriors don't have this problem, nor do druids, which puts pallies at a disadvantage.

Hell I know, i was practically screaming at the screen during those silences. I tapped my Holy Shield button so hard and fast i'm surprised the keyboard is still in one piece. It was a FAR more important chance for me than a warrior or druid, since i went into the session with some people probably wanting me to fail. All i ever hear from some people in the comm is, "We need a warrior for Gruul", "We need a warrior for Gruul". I tried explaining that you dont really need a warrior, im completely uncrushable, I won't take those big blows unless im exceptionally unlucky, but I don't think it registered. I'm just thankful that our Raid Leader (and druid MT) is a guy that like to give people chances to prove themselves. I think i did it last night.
Gray

Postby Spartes » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:00 am

is there at Deadly boss mod warning for silences? or do they occur randomly? and how often?
Spartes

Postby adese » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:43 am

Spartes wrote:is there at Deadly boss mod warning for silences? or do they occur randomly? and how often?

There is a bar for the warning, and it is more or less accurate. The silence doesn't always happen as the bar expires, but you can be guaranteed that there will be one soon.

The biggest problem is that there isn't anything that you can do about it. If you have HS up, it's still on CD and the earliest you can cast it is when it's down. And if you leave it down for a few seconds to time it so you won't get owned by the silence, you could easily get owned in that time anyway (although the healers could possibly recover better, since they aren't silenced as well).
adese

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag