Remove Advertisements

(Lazer Chicken) Spec Help

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

(Lazer Chicken) Spec Help

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:29 am

That's right.. I have a lvl 62 Lazer Chicken that I dusted off.. all the alt-o-holism has gotten to serious levels..

I played him Refer-A-Friend almost a year ago and power-leveled him to 60 with the 300% exp bonus.. Now that it's levelin' time again questing at a 20% monster bonus only is a bit of a sting..

If anyone has spec's for the best lazer chicken at 62 and or 80 it would be much appreciated.

*UPwn Points Available* - to those who can supply any of their links that are accessable from a work PC..
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Re: (Lazer Chicken) Spec Help

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:26 am

No love for the lazer chicken BOOMKIN?! *Sad*
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby hoho » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:39 am

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#0xGbuMIoIdhGuouZb

This is what I'd probably use at L62, aiming towards something like this at L80:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#0xGbuVIoIdhIuouZbxcub

Once at 80 I'd respec to get the "pvp" stuff out and dps things in.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:14 am

SUCCESS!! You get Pwn Points... They unblocked wowhead at my work.
Shyrtandros

Postby dougmcdonald » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:24 am

You could have a look at my armoury for an 80's spec - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talen ... gn=Sanctus

The spec posted by hoho has some fairly major errors at 80. Mainly:

You don't need moonglow, dreamstate and intensity. 1 point in moonglow and OOC will cover regen.

You DO want natures reach, the added range is needed as moonkin DPS is punished so much by moving, needing to move more due to a shorter range is not a good idea.

You DO want improved insect swarm, it improves wrath dmg by 3% and starfire crit chance by 3% for only two talent points, you'd be mad to ignore it.

You DO want improved faerie fire, 3% crit chance and 3% hit? you need it, believe me :) dropping 3% hit is a bad idea as you will need to make it up in gear.

You DO want 5/5 in wrath of cenarius, it's one of your major DPS talents.

You DON'T want owlkin frenzy for PvE DPS, it seems better than it is.

You could if you want, slap 2 points in gale winds, it's a big aoe dmg increase for hc's, not quite as useful in raids though.

A good site for moonkins is http://www.strayegg.com/ give that a read too :)
dougmcdonald

Postby hoho » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:11 am

dougmcdonald wrote:You don't need moonglow, dreamstate and intensity. 1 point in moonglow and OOC will cover regen.
The L80 spec was what I would aim for during leveling, it's not something I'd use while raiding. Pretty sure I said that in my post :P
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby dougmcdonald » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:14 am

Point taken, but many of the errors still exist whilst levelling.

Mana with innervate should not be that much of an issue that you need all those regen talents.

Wrath of cenarius should never not be maxed out even as a levelling spec.

If you're levelling and needing to at times aoe grind, why wouldn't you take gale winds 2/2?

At the end of the day, there is no 'levelling spec' for moonkin particularly, just max dps, and surely max dps = faster levelling?
dougmcdonald

Postby hoho » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:19 am

dougmcdonald wrote:At the end of the day, there is no 'levelling spec' for moonkin particularly, just max dps, and surely max dps = faster levelling?

Technically yes, though I found most of the time stuff died to 3-4 spells (2xstarfire+2x wrath), throwing out dots would simply eat more mana while making mobs beat me. While aoe grinding sounds good in theory I found my druid to be very squishy even though it should have similar armor as bears do.

Regen I chose to be able to throw innervates to healers in 5-mans instead of myself :P
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby dougmcdonald » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:03 am

Again, fair points, having innervate handy can be helpful, I'm not aware of any particular 5 man having pulls of a size where the healer should be struggling with mana though, if so I'd be asking the tank the take it easy or wondering if the healer has enough regen...either way, whilst selfish, that's not entirely my problem! :P

You say throwing out dots would just eat mana, but you want to take 2/2 in improved moonfire? go figure! :P

In my experience levelling my moonkin, what you need to be doing is working out what rotations/spells you use in what situations. E.g.

#1 - Single melee mobs - SF > Roots (to keep them there) > SF > W = dead or there abouts!

#2 - Single caster mobs - SF > IS (for the 3% hit debuff) > W > W (wraths for speed)

#3 - AOE - Starfall (remove if not got it yet) > Barkskin > Hurricane (over yourself) > Hurricane

Then look for things you need to improve, i.e. if you're going out of mana, look at either which spells your casting (hurricane eats mana) or pick more regen talents.

If your getting nailed by melee mobs, take brambles and owlkin frenzy maybe.

Personally I'd do neither but I've explained the hc/dps/80 spec above and I've always been of the 'increased dps = take less damage = less healing = more mana = less downtime = increased dps'
dougmcdonald

Postby Levantine » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:40 am

Holy mother of god.

You do realise that not every sentence is a new paragraph right?

Formatting a post like that makes me and other people I know struggle to take you seriously.

You come off as a bit of an asshat when you do it.

I can't even tell if you had any good points because I read it like you've formatted it and raged.

Am I making my point?
Levantine

Postby hoho » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:42 am

dougmcdonald wrote:You say throwing out dots would just eat mana, but you want to take 2/2 in improved moonfire? go figure! :P
Just a filler as there isn't anything significantly better and points have to be spent somewhere to get higher in tree.
dougmcdonald wrote:#1 - Single melee mobs - SF > Roots (to keep them there) > SF > W = dead or there abouts!
Depending on level I generally was easily capable of getting two full starfires out before mobs reached me, most died to following 1-2 wraths. Rooting will simply delay the kill by 1GCD while not helping all that much. Also mob will reach half way to you during the root cast and they will break when next spell lands. Yea, you could do SF->root->run->sf->root etc but that just slows the kills.
dougmcdonald wrote:#2 - Single caster mobs - SF > IS (for the 3% hit debuff) > W > W (wraths for speed)
3% hit is pretty useless as you'd likely avoid more damage by killing the mob faster with that extra GCD :P
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby dougmcdonald » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:13 am

Levantine - Looking at the post prior to that which you'd commented on, I'd attempted to split comments on seperate talents in order to enable the OP to avoid the rigmorale of parsing a paragraph and picking out specific points. This is largely because in my experience I've seen far too many posts which resemble walls of text and are indecipherable as a result. You could argue that perhaps my comments on talents could have been bettered presented in a list, but I didn't think the addition of bullets would have added that much to it, perhaps I was wrong.

If I had used a list in the previous post, thereby excluding the offensive use of the 'enter' key, I can't see a massive number of options to group up my sentences as many of them do centre around a different subject and should as a result be grammatically seperate.

Much online authoring information these days will suggest that greater than 12 words per line, and using an unneccessary number of padding words to deliver a point will force a reader to scan the text, pickup key terms and often miss the point, as a result, bulleted, concise sentences can more often be absorbed that lengthy sentences, however elequent.

....so, point made, however, I was not of the understanding that putting a list entry on a new line was taboo in internet posting etiquette.

Hoho -

Regarding the moonfire, yes agreed, I wouldn't argue with the talent choice, just the way you suggest using dots are a waste of time and then picking a dot based talent. You say 'need to spend points to get lower in the tree', but the only reason to take 2/2 improved moonfire, is that moonglow 3/3 offers no dps boost by comparison, seeing as you'd take 3/3 moonglow, there there is no need to take 2/2 improved moonfire, especially if you're not a fan of using dots.

On the topic of the hyphothetical rotations I mentioned they were described to illustrate a point which i think was missed. What I was attempting to highlight was a need to establish what rotations YOU are using and base your choices around that. If you're not going for a pure DPS build and want to work in a particular situation then that's fine, but that means you need to establish what your key rotations, situations and assocaited talents are.

I do have a couple of comments on yours on the rotations I suggested though:

Depending on level I generally was easily capable of getting two full starfires out before mobs reached me, most died to following 1-2 wraths. Rooting will simply delay the kill by 1GCD while not helping all that much. Also mob will reach half way to you during the root cast and they will break when next spell lands. Yea, you could do SF->root->run->sf->root etc but that just slows the kills.

The rooting concept for melee mobs is one to use if you feel squishy, or as I said before if that's something you need to use, I do remember rooting mobs in OL as in melee I felt soft. I believe you've already mentioned feeling squishy which is why I mentioned it as a concept. If you're able to nuke mobs down in 2 casts before they get to you, then fine, but why would you then take owlkin frenzy if they aren't getting to you?
If they are, then why not root them before they get to you in order to prevent taking damage?

3% hit is pretty useless as you'd likely avoid more damage by killing the mob faster with that extra GCD :P

Yes this is my point, why do you avoid certain dps talents in order to pickup regen, then in the same breath say that you want more dps to avoid more damage, it's a but of a contradiction! :P
Also, whilst you do get the 3% debuff from IS it's not purely that, it's DPS too of course, in terms of damage per point of mana, it's a very effective talent, especially at lower levels, scaling isn't so hot!
dougmcdonald

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes