Remove Advertisements

Netherspite with 1 tank

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Netherspite with 1 tank

Postby Joonho » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:43 am

So in our group yesterday, we had:

Me tanking

Pally and Priest healer

2 Hunters
Enh Shammy
Rogue
Mage
Ret Pally
Arms Warrior

The thing was, no one had dependably backup tanking gear, and we were stuck with one tank.

First three times we tried with the warrior taking red beams, but he got two shot everytime he stepped out of the beam.

Then we tried with the other pally taking the red beam, which worked till one portal phase kinda bugged and lasted about 10 seconds longer than it should have... nuking the pallies hp. We tried it again, but the pally took a few too many big hits.

So I was thinking of keeping aggro the whole time, and having no one step into the red beam during the off portal phase (so basically there would be portal phases where no one would take the red beam), but it was late, and we called it.

So, has anyone tried it with only one tank? And how did you do it?
Joonho

Postby Dorvan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:46 am

Your Warrior should not be getting 2 shot. He should be equipping a shield while he's tanking the red beam.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Re: Netherspite with 1 tank

Postby Stylaan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:48 am

Joonho wrote:So in our group yesterday, we had:

Me tanking

Pally and Priest healer

2 Hunters
Enh Shammy
Rogue
Mage
Ret Pally
Arms Warrior

The thing was, no one had dependably backup tanking gear, and we were stuck with one tank.

First three times we tried with the warrior taking red beams, but he got two shot everytime he stepped out of the beam.

Then we tried with the other pally taking the red beam, which worked till one portal phase kinda bugged and lasted about 10 seconds longer than it should have... nuking the pallies hp. We tried it again, but the pally took a few too many big hits.

So I was thinking of keeping aggro the whole time, and having no one step into the red beam during the off portal phase (so basically there would be portal phases where no one would take the red beam), but it was late, and we called it.

So, has anyone tried it with only one tank? And how did you do it?

Virtually anybody can tank half of red beam with the huge health buff and heal per tick. I've tanked a full red cycle as holy in my Season 2 gear when we've run with 1 tank before, but typically you can just treat it the same way you treat the blue beam and split the time between two people, preferably people with heavier armor classes and enough resilience to negate crits.

If no one tanks the red beam period he gains a lot of damage reduction and you're going to have a harder time handling enrage timers, not to mention it will be harder for you to out-threat whoever's taking blue beam.
Stylaan

Postby Joonho » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:54 am

Dorvan wrote:Your Warrior should not be getting 2 shot. He should be equipping a shield while he's tanking the red beam.

He shouldn't be, but he was. Most of his gear was sub-70 greens.

Stylaan wrote:typically you can just treat it the same way you treat the blue beam and split the time between two people, preferably people with heavier armor classes and enough resilience to negate crits

This was another suggestion, having the pally and the warrior switch out of the beams for half the time, but I was sketchy with the warrior's coordination.

Another thing to note, usually when I take the red beam, I stay in for about three seconds, and stay out for about three seconds, and follow that cycle making sure debuffs dont stack to quickly, and that I get most (if not all) of my healing from the beam.
But both the warrior and the pally that tried the red beams would wait outside the beam until the debuff timer was almost done, then run back in. I think they were expecting heals during the time as well.

Which way do you guys do it?
Joonho

Postby Stylaan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:59 am

Joonho wrote:
Dorvan wrote:Your Warrior should not be getting 2 shot. He should be equipping a shield while he's tanking the red beam.

Stylaan wrote:typically you can just treat it the same way you treat the blue beam and split the time between two people, preferably people with heavier armor classes and enough resilience to negate crits

This was another suggestion, having the pally and the warrior switch out of the beams for half the time, but I was sketchy with the warrior's coordination.

Another thing to note, usually when I take the red beam, I stay in for about three seconds, and stay out for about three seconds, and follow that cycle making sure debuffs dont stack to quickly, and that I get most (if not all) of my healing from the beam.
But both the warrior and the pally that tried the red beams would wait outside the beam until the debuff timer was almost done, then run back in. I think they were expecting heals during the time as well.

Which way do you guys do it?

It's a bad idea to expect heals when you have the red beam available to you. I would think that you would likely be killed very quickly if you don't have the red beam and tried to tank him straight up unless you severely outgear the instance, Netherspite hits very hard, but you don't see it since you have +31k max health from the red beam.

Generally it's 3 ticks in 3 ticks out for me.

Splitting time is perfectly viable, I've run karazhan with only one tank when I'm holy before and I can hold red with no problems as long as I'm crit immune in my pvp gear, I'd imagine lesser geared members could split the beam with no problems.
Stylaan

Postby Zhalseran » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:44 pm

Joonho wrote:

My Rogue lasts longer than 2 hits
Zhalseran

Postby Dorvan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:46 pm

Joonho wrote:

Well there's your problem. You never should've let him into Kara in the first place.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby utena » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:11 pm

Sub 70 greens and you're wondering why he can't tank...

/boggle
utena

Postby Balls » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:27 pm

If he can't take a single hit at 40k hp he's bad. Worst comes to worst, let Spite tick him down to around 15k and have the Ret pally pick up.

^ post was so you don't have to rely on the warrior's coordination and survivability.
Balls

Postby Joonho » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:55 pm

OK, we got him down last night, but I had to sub in another warrior with better gear since half the people from the other night didn't show.

I figured it was mostly an experience problem... I was the only person who didnt seem to have any difficulty picking netherspite up out of the banish phase and then taking the red beam duties. We wiped a couple times for the other warrior to finally get it, and killed the dragon with half the raid dead.

I don't think gear was the issue anymore, I've taken worse geared players and we had no troubles with any of the bosses.

Note to future raid leads: Don't take retards into your raid, no matter how desperate you are. It just isn't worth the trouble.
Joonho

Postby Quean » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:18 am

Dude, that warrior was bragging to someone else about an 1800 crit at one point.
She asked "White hit? nice"
He replied "No, MS."

(I was the mage)

I'm almost certain my level 67 (currently ret) pally can out dps him...and significantly out-brain him.
Granted...you were...5th on dps, and you were damn close to 4th. so on the whole, we were lacking >.<
(note: 1 tank, 2 healers, tank 5th on dps. do the math :( )
Quean

Postby Tybalt » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:33 pm

Anyone else notice that since 2.3 went live, you can't use exorcism on Netherspite anymore?
Tybalt

Postby Garstone » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:53 pm

I noticed it.

Hes no longer considered a demon
Garstone

Postby emille » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:27 pm

netherspite is now a dragonkin
emille

Postby Zhalseran » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:57 pm

I noticed and it really annoyed me x_x
Exorcism was a great way to get snap aggro after a transition so the warlocks dont go squish
Zhalseran

Next

Return to Karazhan