Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby ulushnar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:39 am

I'm about a third of the way through a Renegade playthrough following my Paragon run, and I actually think male Shepherd sounds his best when he's being a dick. There's a slightly sardonic quality to his delivery like: "I'm well aware of how many people I've killed to get here and why does this asshole in front of me think he's got a chance?"
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby rathe » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:50 am

Arcand wrote:Given that it's a three part story arc, think hard before skipping the first third. ME1, even with its loading elevators and inventory fuckery, was still a colossal hoot and completely stopped me playing WoW for the three days it took me to finish it. (I didn't mind the Mako but that might be because I'm an AFV geek.)

Thanks, it sounds like I'll at least want to experience the story of the first one since stories usually matter to me. Sometimes they don't relate at all, like FF or Star Ocean.
Snake-Aes wrote:Well... sometimes being obnoxious works.
http://us.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&cn=Bloodrathe&gn=Nidh%C3%B6gg
rathe
Maintankadonor

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:08 am

ulushnar wrote:I'm about a third of the way through a Renegade playthrough following my Paragon run, and I actually think male Shepherd sounds his best when he's being a dick. There's a slightly sardonic quality to his delivery like: "I'm well aware of how many people I've killed to get here and why does this asshole in front of me think he's got a chance?"

Not just that, but in some cases of humor he is cool. A good example would be: "They were using a gunship to take down one guy?" Or the male Shepard speeches at the end compared to the female ones.
Io.Draco

Postby Arcand » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:29 am

Then again, some of the badass lines are more
fun in Jennifer Hale's voice. I'm thinking of
the spot where a Blue Sun mercenary is getting
pugnacious and she levels her hand cannon at
his face: "Go ahead, pull it out, big boy.
I'll betcha mine's bigger."

I don't normally like "I'm a girl with a gun,
hear me roar" lines, but the delivery was great.
Pretty sure she was smiling as she spoke.
Arcand

Postby Namaztak » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Played through both games as renegade (up to the final choice anyways...) femshepard last week. (everyone but the useless normandy crew who dont count towards the achievement survived the suicide mission :D) Replaying both as paragon male shepard.

I really don't like male shepard's voice but I want to get things going with Tali in 2 since I failed at getting with Garrus on my first play.

Also I need to make sure Wrex and the council stay alive this time as well as having kaiden die instead of ashley. Unless I get too pissed at the god damn retarded AI squadmates of the first game dying like sheep every five seconds.
Namaztak

Postby crazyharry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:54 am

Namaztak wrote:Unless I get too pissed at the god damn retarded AI squadmates of the first game dying like sheep every five seconds.

I eventually just used to send them out in to the open to draw fire whilst I picked off the enemies. In ME2 though, it felt like they could quite easily complete the missions without me!
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
crazyharry

Postby Lumennon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:42 pm

I finished it three times by now... Now I'm waiting for Kasumi for the next playthroughs.

So yeah, awesome game. I loved ME1, but ME2 is way better, imho. Especially because you don't have to ram the damn Mako up all those pesky mountains... The Hammerhead SHOULD be more enjoyable - guess we'll know by the end of March.

And I share the aforementioned sentiment:

Hearthvaderr wrote:I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Ebbitt wrote:Arthas is sitting there watching over the front door then... SURPRISE BUTTSECKS, we just got inside by the back door and facerolled all your defenses.
Lumennon
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:31 pm

I think this game and series is amazing.

I even got a good non-gamer friend hooked on it.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Arcand » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:08 am

If I loved ME/ME2 to bits*, would I love Knights of the Old Republic?

I'm hooked pretty bad here. I need a Mass-Effect-like-game fix and I don't
know if it should be KOTOR or Dragon Age.

* I loved a computer game 'to bits'. Get it? Aaah, I'm made of funny.
Arcand

Postby Vanifae » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:29 am

You may like Dragon Age ore than KotOR but KotOR is a fun game and inspired a lot of the cinematic focus for ME and ME2.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:30 am

If I loved ME/ME2 to bits*, would I love Knights of the Old Republic?

You should know that much of the stuff in ME is based off Kotor. Take for example Kaiden, he IS Carth Onassi 2.0. Tali = Visas 2.0, Zaeed/Wrex/Grunt are versions of Canderous etc. etc.
Io.Draco

Postby ulushnar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:36 am

The thing you won't like about the KotOR games or Dragon Age is that they're more RPG-like than even ME1 was. They don't have even ME1's rudimentary nod to action gaming. They're turn-based "under the hood" which means things go off at strict time intervals, not unlike WoW.

Still they're a lot of fun, and Bioware seem incapable of writing a bad story for any game they make. I especially reccomend spending some time chatting to HK-47 in KotOR 1.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:02 am

I picked up Dragon Age last night. Think of it as Mass Effect methadone.

I installed it but didn't touch it yet, because I have a four hour
highway night drive in my future and Bioware is not good for my
sleep schedule. :)
Arcand

Postby Dorvan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:12 am

ulushnar wrote:The thing you won't like about the KotOR games or Dragon Age is that they're more RPG-like than even ME1 was. They don't have even ME1's rudimentary nod to action gaming. They're turn-based "under the hood" which means things go off at strict time intervals, not unlike WoW.

I don't think I'm following...in what way is the combat system in WoW or Dragon Age "turn-based"? Certainly not any more than ME1 (I haven't played ME2 yet). Where they definitely *are* more RPGish (especially DA:O) is in the equipment/stats/character leveling part of the game.

Still they're a lot of fun, and Bioware seem incapable of writing a bad story for any game they make. I especially reccomend spending some time chatting to HK-47 in KotOR 1.

Of course, for lots of us the more RPGish nature of Bioware's other games isn't a detractor, it's a feature!

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:55 am

I KNOW YOU FEEL THIS SHEPARD!
Vanifae

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games