[arcane mage pve]

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[arcane mage pve]

Postby daemonym » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:16 am

I just wanted to see if anybody has the correct rotation since the one posted on EJ notes that it is "horridly outdated." What I've been using so far is: AB x3 then missile barrage if it procs, otherwise arcane barrage, repeat and stack CD's when possible basically. I have no ideas to any "proper" CD stacking other than hit it all at once and try to time IV with lust and to use the last second of the buff for when you evocate to effect the whole channel.

I'm mostly interested in DPM as opposed to DPS since I'm still learning to manage my mana effectively, otherwise I'd just assume that I'd use AB x4 instead of x3. Any and all help is appreciated.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Re: [arcane mage pve]

Postby Cronus » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:26 am

daemonym wrote:I just wanted to see if anybody has the correct rotation since the one posted on EJ notes that it is "horridly outdated." What I've been using so far is: AB x3 then missile barrage if it procs, otherwise arcane barrage, repeat and stack CD's when possible basically. I have no ideas to any "proper" CD stacking other than hit it all at once and try to time IV with lust and to use the last second of the buff for when you evocate to effect the whole channel.

I'm mostly interested in DPM as opposed to DPS since I'm still learning to manage my mana effectively, otherwise I'd just assume that I'd use AB x4 instead of x3. Any and all help is appreciated.

I use 4 AB then AM if it procs on raids and the new heroics. If its an old heroic, i use 3 AB then AM if it procs.

I have been trying something new lately for heroics and that is to do 3 AB on the one target then tab to the next target and do one AB and then AM if proc. I do this cuz mobs die too quick in heroics.

I use my arcane power cd whenever its up since its only a 1min cd. Im sitting at a 4.8gs and pulling close to 5k dps in heroics. I also do arcane explosion (if i have a good tank)when there are multiple mobs. AE hits like a mac truck vs blizzard for arcane mages...down side is you are in melee range and if tank cant hold agro...u die!
Cronus

Postby Shoju » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:08 pm

ABx4
Arcane Missiles

Unless you are at less than 2500 spell power, then release the AB stacks with Barrage. At 2500 spellpower, your non-mb'd missiles is still better DPS than arcane barrage.
Shoju

Postby bzzt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:21 pm

If you have a hard time maintaining AB4AM, AB024AM is quite close. What that means is firing missile barrage as soon as it procs rather than waiting till a 4 stack, let unprocced missiles go if you make it to 4 without a proc. Its a couple% lower dps, but lightyears ahead of pushing too hard and having to drop to a lower cycle while evocation comes off cooldown.

Also, once you're using 2t10 (and that should probably be where your first 155 frost emblems go, its *really* good), that generally becomes your top dps rotation (firing off missile barrage just before push to the limit expires rather than pacing it by your AB stack).

In general though, you're going to get best results with arcane by being aggressive with your mana (stacking to 4, fishing for procs, using evocation during dps time if there's not an obvious break where you can use it) rather than trying to drop to a conservation cycle.
bzzt

Postby Palmela » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:15 pm

bzzt wrote:
Also, once you're using 2t10 (and that should probably be where your first 155 frost emblems go, its *really* good), that generally becomes your top dps rotation (firing off missile barrage just before push to the limit expires rather than pacing it by your AB stack).

Wrong, once your at the gear lvl where 2pct10 comes into play it will be a higher dps rotation to get to 4 stacks for your AB even if 1 AB isnt on PTL buff. Your mana gem/evo should be staggered so that you shouldnt need to run a lower dps rotation to keep your mana up and AB4AM(procced) is much better dps than a lower AB to AM rotation.
Palmela

Postby bzzt » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Palmela wrote:
bzzt wrote:

Wrong, once your at the gear lvl where 2pct10 comes into play it will be a higher dps rotation to get to 4 stacks for your AB even if 1 AB isnt on PTL buff. Your mana gem/evo should be staggered so that you shouldnt need to run a lower dps rotation to keep your mana up and AB4AM(procced) is much better dps than a lower AB to AM rotation.

Technically you're correct (in that AB4MBAM is higher dps than AB3MBAM even if you have an additional unhasted cast). By about 1%. It also costs about 10% more mana per second, which is a horrible tradeoff. Basically, any fight you use evocate on (read: "generally") you should not be casting that additional AB. It's actually more efficient (and much faster) to use untalented mana shield during dps out-time to convert mana to damage (which you also shouldn't be doing if you need to evocate). Another place where you'd get a superior damage-> mana conversion would be moving points from arcane meditation to student of mind (also not generally recommended, tho technically superior in some instances).
bzzt

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes