Solo Magtheridon possible for a paladin?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Solo Magtheridon possible for a paladin?

Postby Ardrhyst » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:54 pm

One of my guildies who knows of my penchant for soloing big things pointed me to a video of a DK soloing Magtheridon, probably as a challenge to me.

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=139577

I gave it a shot.

It's a beating. You can't kill the channelers, so you have all five of them and all five of their infernals trashing you for the entire fight. Add Magtheridon onto the pile, and it's a lot of incoming damage. To make things worse, Magtheridon has 3.5 million HP and you get a short twenty minutes to whittle that away.

So, does anybody have any experiences to share with this? Anybody managed to successfully down him, and if so, how did you handle these hurdles?
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

Re: Solo Magtheridon possible for a paladin?

Postby Huat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Huat

Postby Ardrhyst » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:47 pm

What all is healing you? It seems like it's more than just Seal of Light and Judgement of Light, because you're generally losing ground and then you bounce up in a hurry.

Also, what's the 20 second buff you get periodically that uses the same icon as Rampage?

Also, do you think it's possible without the Blessing of Might, or does the loss of healing hurt too much?
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

Postby Huat » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:41 pm

It's only Seal of Light and Judgement of Light, I think the bounces come in usually when Avenging Wrath procs or I hit Ardent Defender range?
I'm using Mark of Supremacy.
Should be possible without the Blessing of Might if you have a better weapon than my ilvl 232 QS. You have to balance your surviviability and your DPS, so if you can afford to lose some survivability, you could try a DPS weapon.
Huat

Postby guillex » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:10 am

I wonder how Figurine of the Colossus would do in this situation. I never ran Mags that much, so I'm not sure if the adds are melee or not.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Anorian » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:10 am

i so have to try this
Anorian

Postby Zobel » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:35 am

guillex wrote:I wonder how Figurine of the Colossus would do in this situation. I never ran Mags that much, so I'm not sure if the adds are melee or not.

They're warlocks. More specifically, they're Burning-Crusade-era warlocks, meaning they mostly cast shadowbolt.
Zobel

Postby lythac » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:44 am

Would the adds run out of mana at some point?
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Zobel » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:59 am

lythac wrote:Would the adds run out of mana at some point?

They have just over a million mana each. They also self-heal unless you can interrupt it.
Zobel

Postby Xacual » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:16 am

I gave this a shot last night, switched in dps trinkets instead of my stam ones but I failed at the 800k life left mark. I know I probably lost some dps time before I got situated but maybe I will need dps flask and stuff next time I try it.
Xacual

Postby Korbah » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:07 pm

Zobel wrote:
guillex wrote:I wonder how Figurine of the Colossus would do in this situation. I never ran Mags that much, so I'm not sure if the adds are melee or not.

They're warlocks. More specifically, they're Burning-Crusade-era warlocks, meaning they mostly cast shadowbolt.

Actually they mostly melee, which is kind of a relief. Casters are the worst to tank ever. :(
Korbah

Postby Huat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:48 pm

The warlocks never run out of mana and they spam shadowbolt volleys and heal each other. Even if you could somehow kill 1 warlock, I wouldn't recommend it as that would buff the remaining 4 warlocks.

Figurine probably isn't enough healing to be worth the slot, I myself used 2 DPS trinkets, a DPS cloak and a DPS ring.

Tips:
Get expertise to 26.
Weave Avenger's Shield in place of a Holy Shield every 30s and glyph it if you can afford to.
Elixir of Mighty Strength if you don't want to use Endless Rage.
40 Strength/Expertise food depending on what you need. (I was cheap and used Dalaran Clam Chowder :oops: )
Huat

Postby Anorian » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:28 am

I tried it yesterday in full tank gear, wiped on 10% due to enrage. However I think I can get away with using fulltime SoV when using fire res aura, used SoL to much with devo aura once I swapped aura dmg intake lowered alot. Gonna go with a dps trinket and a bit more dps orientated gear. Downside: its very very very boring.
Anorian

Postby kysu » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:29 am

Ya you can solo him, I was usen a half BV set and half reg gear.

Run with fire arua and beat away keep rotating around him to stay out of the fire. Only problem I had is he would keep despawning. I would tank him in middle off to the sides, back front.... I gave up to that but all in all I would go from 50% to full depending on how well I moved around.
kysu

Postby Sadahige » Tue May 04, 2010 3:40 pm

this seems rather impossible. I get chain Death Coiled and die every time :P oh well
Sadahige

Next

Return to General Strats