3.2 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: 3.2 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

Postby knaughty » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:16 am

Dem wrote:It's fine saying no-one cares about trash, but Valithrea tanking (for instance) isn't challenging.

FIXT! :P

NB: I have not attempted hard mode yet :)

Maybe it will get hard later.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Isetnefret » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:47 am

knaughty wrote:Maybe it will get hard later.

That's what she said, expectantly...
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby knaughty » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:16 am

News just in:
HARD MODES ARE HARD

Like, "Holy shit, did they re-hire they guy who tuned Sunwell?" hard.

Haven't tried Valithrea-trash-tanking on hard mode yet. Cleared to Saurfang, skipped Council-hard, tried Blood Queen and wiped at 25k health remaining.

Huge variance in hard-mode difficulties. Marrowgar is a serious wakeup call, Gunship is like 1% more difficult than normal mode.

Scared of what LK hard will be like. Plague wing also looks painful. Blood-Queen-10-hard is merely tuned up to be as hard as the 25-man version (10-man-Queen is a joke on normal).
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Dem » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:11 am

knaughty wrote:
Dem wrote:It's fine saying no-one cares about trash, but Valithrea tanking (for instance) isn't SINGLE TARGET.

FIXT! :P
NB: I have not attempted hard mode yet :)
Maybe it will get hard later.

Don't mis-quote me. We're 9/12 in 10 hard modes, mainly 'cos we're spending more time on 25's than 10's.

If you're a serious tank, why would you not have a second utility spec that is better for some encounters?
Dem

Postby Gamingdevil » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:12 pm

knaughty wrote:News just in:
HARD MODES ARE HARD

Haven't tried Valithrea-trash-tanking on hard mode yet. Cleared to Saurfang, skipped Council-hard, tried Blood Queen and wiped at 25k health remaining.

Huge variance in hard-mode difficulties. Marrowgar is a serious wakeup call, Gunship is like 1% more difficult than normal mode.

Scared of what LK hard will be like. Plague wing also looks painful. Blood-Queen-10-hard is merely tuned up to be as hard as the 25-man version (10-man-Queen is a joke on normal).

You should've tried Blood Council, it's basically the same fight with more hp/damage.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Dem » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:43 pm

Gamingdevil wrote:You should've tried Blood Council, it's basically the same fight with more hp/damage.

Plus the minor inconvenience of a stacking damage debuff whenever you move. Not quite the same fight at all.

Blood queen is easier as its still basically a dps check.
Dem

Postby knaughty » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:08 am

Gamingdevil wrote:You should've tried Blood Council, it's basically the same fight with more hp/damage.

Two reasons:

(1) It isn't the same fight, you can't move freely.
(2) We had 30 mins of raid time left and wanted to try Queen. Wiped with her on 25,000 health after a DPS DC'd. Annoying.
Dem wrote:Don't mis-quote me. We're 9/12 in 10 hard modes, mainly 'cos we're spending more time on 25's than 10's.

If you're a serious tank, why would you not have a second utility spec that is better for some encounters?

(1) "FIXT" is (I thought) an obvious indication that the quote has been doctored. No offence was intended - thus the smiley.

(2) I'm a serious tank, given the amount of raid time I have available. We're doing OK - LK down 10 & 25, hards down as far as Saurfang in 10, plus the 0.2% wiped on Queen after about 3 tries. Same as you, we've been concentrating on 25s - I had 3 hours in ICC-10 this week.

Previous tiers we've cleared everything including Yogg+0. World ranking varies between 400 and 1,000 depending on how much extra ranking time invested gets you (IE: ToGC, with limited attempts and no trash, we were like world 400-ish. ICC-25, where 16 hours a week is a serious limit, world 7,00 - 1,000)

For this board, that's moderately decent.

Given that progression level, I've never needed two tanking specs. I just spec for whatever the hardest thing is that we're facing and use that spec for all the easier content as well.

Right now, that's a fairly standard DG spec. In ToGC it was Imp Hoj variant for Anub hard.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 am

knaughty wrote:News just in:
HARD MODES ARE HARD

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you.
We've had what might be the two worst raid-weeks in guild history. RL causing a couple of key absences, and just a massive glut of connection problems. It's hurt morale, it's lowered overall performance. We're behind where we should be. We're 9/12 in 25man hardmodes.

The entry level bosses don't come close to comparing with Sunwell's entry level, or Ulduar's entry-level hardmodes. Sure, ICC hardmodes are harder than ToGC up to Anub, but we all know that ToGC was a bad joke.

I have no comment on Sindragosa/Putricide/Arthas, though. They may well compare very favorably. But I think you've indulged in excessive hyperbole.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Dem » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:34 am

knaughty wrote:World ranking varies between 400 and 1,000 depending on how much extra ranking time invested gets you (IE: ToGC, with limited attempts and no trash, we were like world 400-ish. ICC-25, where 16 hours a week is a serious limit, world 7,00 - 1,000)

Given that progression level, I've never needed two tanking specs. I just spec for whatever the hardest thing is that we're facing and use that spec for all the easier content as well.

We're at the same level in terms of rankings and time spent by the looks of it (about 700 atm, 10-16hrs per week).

If you need the flexibility of Ret, I can understand not needing two tank specs. If not, it's handy. For instance a standard tank spec and an Anub trash spec was useful - at least it saves time having to go respec mid-raid. At the moment, I use a second spec to improve trash control with imp HoJ. It's particularly handy on Saurfang 10HM as you can help the raid out by stunning adds every wave. Also useful for Valithrea Frost Adds.

We've had similar issues with connections and RL stuff, but I quite like the tuning in 10's.
Dem

Postby Cylora » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:03 pm

Imp HoJ is extremely helpful on Saurfang10HM (Bloodbeasts), DreamwalkerHM (mostly Abominations, but also Archmages), DeathwhisperHM(mostly Mind control, but also adds sometimes and the occasional interrupt on the boss when rogues get MC'ed), Lich King (Valkyrs and Shambling Horrors; haven't tried heroic more than one minute on 10 man ^^).
Enough to warrant a second protection spec and just put down 50G if I have to dps. I have DG in both specs as it is very useful, even on the fights I mentioned, the points for HoJ come out of Crusade.
Admittedly, I could do all other fights with my HoJ spec, but I try to be optimal on all hardmodes.
Cylora

Postby knaughty » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:48 am

Meloree wrote:But I think you've indulged in excessive hyperbole.

After having an actual 2 hours on 25-man hard modes, yes, total hyperbole. 10-man was looking excellent, and yes, it's harder than anything else in WotLK, but it isn't Sunwell (where we got stuck on M'uru until 3.0).

In some ways 10-man was harder. Well, except the noisy-bitch second boss on 25. Skipped her.

Marrowgar took like 3-4 tries, skipped noisy, one-shot boat, trying Saurfang now. Tweaking positions vs snares to make sure it it perfect, 2 wipes so far to "too many runes".
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations