Talent Spec Dilema

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Talent Spec Dilema

Postby Sathoris » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:25 am

Hey,

I usually like to see how other prot pally from my realm react to different encounter by gear / talent spec changes and so on, and while randomly inspected a guy i was at the begining stunned at his talent choice.

Does someone else thing the same or is it just me that find this spec really out of place ?

http://eu.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml ... 0000000000

Glyphs using: HW, DP, SoV

I didn't want to include his armory profile because i don't want to make a /point to a player for a public joke if it's the case i just want to know if there is anything out that it might be usefull in this spec because i see it as a complete fail - or let's say ... there are other valuable options to pick.

On a more detailed overview please use: http://chardev.org/?profile=346585

I just made this topic because this guy actually is a member of a really good guild on our realm so this made me even more curious.

TL;DR version -> http://chardev.org/?profile=346585 - discuss talent / gear choice
Sathoris

Re: Talent Spec Dilema

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:31 am

We've had a lot of these "Hey this random guy in Dal is specc'd weirdly. wtf is up with that?" posts lately...

Here, let's make this simple. If you've been reading this site for more than a day, and someone's spec looks funny, they're probably just misinformed/retarded.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Sathoris » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:40 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Here, let's make this simple. If you've been reading this site for more than a day, and someone's spec looks funny, they're probably just misinformed/retarded.

I can understand the amount of posts regarding this. But i tried to highlight that "this guy" is not an ordinary guy ... well the guild where he comes from is / was / will be top 1-3 on the realm and he does have quite an experience in this game. So this is why it made me really curious of his choices.

When i whispered him telling him that from my pov his spec is a bit wrong and asked him why he choosed it, he sounded extremly elitist and kinda shut me off "i do what i want with my talents" - thus the even more curious about it.

Although you might be right and he's either way misinformed or a retard and i'm just wasting my and others time with this thread.
Sathoris

Postby theckhd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:15 pm

Doesn't matter what guild he's from, he's not specced into Divine Strength or Improved Judgements. So he's deliberately putting out less threat than he's capable of by at least ~2-4k TPS.

He might "hold aggro just fine" with his current spec, and might have the reflexes of a cat and the eyes of a hawk. But that doesn't make him knowledgeable about his own class.

If he shifted those points from Divinity into DS, and at least one out of Reckoning into Improved Judgements, there'd be nothing wrong with his spec. But it's somewhat baffling that he's taking 5/5 Reckoning and 0/5 Divine strength given how much stronger DS is than Reck.

If it helps, next time ask him why he's settling for 300 TPS from Reckoning when he could get almost 1k TPS from Divine strength with those same 5 talent points and generate less boss parry haste in the process.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby kysu » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Heh, put him on your ignore list and move on.

I'll put it simply as I have had to deal with non optimized "people" who think they are worth something and the best. They are playing a OP class atm, they are getting by with that alone. If you had a warrior doing the same crap with a bad spec etc he would not be able to keep up. A pally can because well right now they are auto pilot to win... Was not the case in BC when you had to bust ass to get great results, He is probably just a re-roll from BC.

Last thing about being him in a good guild, I know MANY MANY tanks that are in great guilds that are crap, just plain bad. Remember when people talk about carrying people? ALOT of guilds carry tanks.... He might be just going along and doing "fine"... but since when do you want to be that? I personally want to be the best.

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:We've had a lot of these "Hey this random guy in Dal is specc'd weirdly. wtf is up with that?" posts lately...
Here, let's make this simple. If you've been reading this site for more than a day, and someone's spec looks funny, they're probably just misinformed/retarded.

^ id go with the retarted
kysu

Postby Vorianloken » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:43 am

kysu wrote:Heh, put him on your ignore list and move on.

I'll put it simply as I have had to deal with non optimized "people" who think they are worth something and the best. They are playing a OP class atm, they are getting by with that alone. If you had a warrior doing the same crap with a bad spec etc he would not be able to keep up. A pally can because well right now they are auto pilot to win... Was not the case in BC when you had to bust ass to get great results, He is probably just a re-roll from BC.

Last thing about being him in a good guild, I know MANY MANY tanks that are in great guilds that are crap, just plain bad. Remember when people talk about carrying people? ALOT of guilds carry tanks.... He might be just going along and doing "fine"... but since when do you want to be that? I personally want to be the best.

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:We've had a lot of these "Hey this random guy in Dal is specc'd weirdly. wtf is up with that?" posts lately...

^ id go with the retarted

Almost every wow player i have come across thinks they are the best.. some actually are... some aren't. And this is an MMO where we invest a lot of time and effort into our characters so I do not see anything wrong with people thinking they are the best, even when they make less-than-optimal choices (from OUR point of view). Not everyone does research or follow theorycraft about the game and their classes. What works for them works for them.

Please define as to how paladins are auto-pilot god mode at the moment? Even in TotC when we were largely the superior tank in terms of game mechanics, I have never felt that I was overpowered because I have met many warriors/death knights/druids who are far better tanks than me irrespective of what their comparative gear level is.

There is a difference between great guilds and guilds pushing server firsts or seconds, especially on high-pop servers. A guild on a server where cream of the progression is 11/12 icc25 is different than the one who is on a server with 4/12 as top of the progression.

And I would personally go with misinformed and unwilling to listen to better opinion, and I am sure the OP could have been more diplomatic than he/she was when talking with the other player.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Dravan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:45 am

As the people above have said don't be fooled by a guy that is in a good guild with a weird spec. I was recently looking through some guilds recruiting and came across a protection paladin who was the GM of some top of the server guild. I then checked his spec and enchants and found them to be bizzare and misinformed. Some people are great players but just haven't bothered to read up and just trust their own 'judgement'.

Also bare in mind that sometimes people will be specced for specific fights they are working on. For instance on Valithria 10 man heroic I took 2/2 Imp Hammer of Justice and glyphed for holy wrath and AV so I had more stuns for the Risen Archmages and a nice aggro starter for kiting the zombies (we had a feral druid with nature res taking 90% of the abomos). If a guy is in a good guild with good progress he quite possibly will be speccing and glyphing for individual fights and your just inspecting him at a bad moment.
Dravan

Postby Vorianloken » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:02 am

Dravan wrote:As the people above have said don't be fooled by a guy that is in a good guild with a weird spec. I was recently looking through some guilds recruiting and came across a protection paladin who was the GM of some top of the server guild. I then checked his spec and enchants and found them to be bizzare and misinformed. Some people are great players but just haven't bothered to read up and just trust their own 'judgement'.

Also bare in mind that sometimes people will be specced for specific fights they are working on. For instance on Valithria 10 man heroic I took 2/2 Imp Hammer of Justice and glyphed for holy wrath and AV so I had more stuns for the Risen Archmages and a nice aggro starter for kiting the zombies (we had a feral druid with nature res taking 90% of the abomos). If a guy is in a good guild with good progress he quite possibly will be speccing and glyphing for individual fights and your just inspecting him at a bad moment.

completely agree with this.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Koatanga » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:00 pm

I'd say that person is a holy paladin in prot off-spec.

It looks very much like how a holy paladin would think a prot spec should go, without having researched a prot spec.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Aedh » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:38 am

Lots of good guilds have shit members. I went through 1 of the better raid guilds on my server and almost every prot paladin was specced for retard. The only tanks that had good specs were also the best geared and incidentally the guild main tanks. Lots of people will either reroll a paladin because its op, or are MS holy/ret. My last guild was like that. The GM was specced for awesome but all the other paladins aside fro me for specced for fail tanking. They were all holy or ret.
Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Whatever happened to Quebec seceding? If they do that, can we invade? America could really use the revenue from exporting syrup and hockey players.
Aedh

Postby Folstar » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:58 pm

The responses you get from people spec'd like that are the best- "I hold aggro fine", "I never die", etc... which is probably completely true except in progressive content. Or in other words they do just fine in content they completely outgear- which is without a doubt the strongest justification for a spec imaginable.
As a matter of fact I've successfully tanked a few fights in my 51/2/18 offspec- so all those talents must be good tanking choices and anyone who says different is just a huge jerk loser meanie butthead. It is logic like this that keeps azeroth spinning.
Folstar

Postby greatcow95 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:29 am

Folstar wrote:As a matter of fact I've successfully tanked a few fights in my 51/2/18 offspec- so all those talents must be good tanking choices and anyone who says different is just a huge jerk loser meanie butthead. It is logic like this that keeps azeroth spinning.

I just can't help myself due to the last sentence.

This week on "As Azeroth Turns"

How DARE you question my tanking ability?
WoW is not Facebook or Myspace. Protest RealID by putting this everywhere.
greatcow95

Return to Basic Training & Talents