Shouldn't this work?!?

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Shouldn't this work?!?

Postby Vhing » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:42 pm

I am pretty new to making macros, but everything I've been pouring over for the past hour tells me this should work.

#showtooltip Righteous Defense/cast [target=party2] Righteous Defense/cast [target=party2] Hand of Salvation

I've tried using it in-game and nothing happens. I have party1, party2, party3, and party4 keybound to F9, F10, F11, and F12 respectively. I have a lvl 35 pally tank that I have been lvling and I thought it was working with him, but i was just on my lvl 80, and it's not working at all with her. I also tried it by clicking on the hot button, in case something was wrong with my keybind, but that didn't work either.

Do those two /cast commands need to be on different lines?

Anybody know how to get this to work?

Thanks,
Vhing
Vhing

Re: Shouldn't this work?!?

Postby Vhing » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:47 pm

OK, am I being an idiot...does it just need a space between the Righteous Defense and the /cast ?
Vhing

Postby jathitimus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Code: Select all
#showtooltip Righteous Defense
/cast [target=party2] Righteous Defense
/cast [target=party2target] Hand of Salvation

I belive that is what you are looking for, but I would suggest you use

/cast [target=mouseover] Righteous Defense
/cast [target=mouseovertarget] Hand of Salvation

and target the player frames, alternatively you could get an addon like clique and bind a mouse button to do the same.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
jathitimus

Postby Vhing » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:55 pm

Thank you for that. I will fix it.

Like I said, I am new to making macros and I guess I'm not understanding why the HoS is [target=party2target]. Righteous Defense is cast on a party member to taunt 3 mobs off of them, and HoS is also cast on the party member, so wouldn't the two target directions be the same? Forgive my ignorance, just trying to understand and make sure I'm writing it correctly.

I have tried Clique, and I have tried the mouseover (with other things) and neither work with my clumsy style of play (I cannot type by touch and would have to look at my hands, so I use the mouse to cast and I can find the F9-F12 buttons faster than I could find modifier keys).

Thanks for all the help.
Vhing

Postby jathitimus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Dx I missread, I was thinking of Hand of Reckoning since you were using RD in that macro. Salvation would not require the "party2target" bit. I added that in with the single target taunt inmind as you would need to taunt what they player was targeting to make the single target work.

/cast [target=mouseover] Righteous Defense
/cast [target=mouseover] Hand of Salvation

/cast [target=party2] Righteous Defense
/cast [target=party2] Hand of Salvation

So sorry about that, but I would advise against putting salvation into your RD macro. Salvation is a very strong spell towards the end of a fight or as a defensive CD (with glyph). In a raid you might accidently salv another tank or put salv on a healer that has very low threat generation. Salv is better used to fix someone gaining on threat than someone with agro on an add. If it works for you though I suppose it works, just be careful with it.
Additionally RD is off the GCD and salv is on the GCD, if you hit that macro during a GCD only the RDwill fire, you will need to keep hitting it til the gcd ends for the salv to fire off.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
jathitimus

Postby Vhing » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Thank you.

That is information that I wanted to know, but didn't know to ask. I always love learning more than I expected to.

I will NOT set it up that way on my lvl 80 pally (as, hopefully, she will be raiding soon and it sounds like I could make a mess of it.) but will try it with the the HoS left in for my low level tankadin, just to see how things work and mess around with it. Hey, where better to screw up than a Random Dungeon like SM??? LOL.

Thanks again for all the good info.
Vhing

Postby Vhing » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:53 am

I thought about it, and you are right HoS mixed in with that macro is stupid...even for my LL pallys.

I did, however, add a notification to the macro announcing that I am casting RD, and on whom.

Thanks again.
Vhing

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros