Remove Advertisements

Suggestions for Hyjal

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Suggestions for Hyjal

Postby Rated » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:14 am

Hey everyone (hopefully I posted in the right place this time, lol)

Last night we had our first attempt at Hyjal. i was quite excited considering it is the one place I wanted to see the most in BC; almost as cool as Naxx.

The rage fight was pretty GG ezmode. Tanking the adds was the easiest thing I have ever done....pretty fun sustaining 3k threat or more, lol.

But my question is for anyone who has had experience with the 2nd boss in Hyjal, Anetheron. The adds are, of course from strats, pretty much the same as Rage. Question: Should I tank the banshees as well or let them be CCed and just pull my mob of death further away from them. Last night I was tanking pretty much everything. It is a very simple fight but just asking for some general comments and strats. (If you wanted to know, rage was 1 shot and Anetheron got lucky at 1% due to some very very very very bad luck with DCs. He was at 1%, almost dead, hit someone and BAM....stupid aura healed him and GG)

Another question is about Seal of Blood. If I am tanking a single target, should I be used SOB more then SOR? Not only would it increase my mana from being healed more due to life loss, but does it do more damage? I havent experimented with it yet, but I was going to in some 5 or 10 mans.

Thanks everyone for your help :-)

PS: Where can I get a nifty sig block....
Rated

Postby Iliria » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:21 am

From my experience...it really doesn't matter what seal you're using while tanking that trash, if you're tanking most of the ghouls/crypt fiends each wave you're going to stay topped off on mana, so you don't need wisdom. I guess if your melee dps is on a target you're tanking you might as well use SoR/JoR on that mob just to make sure it stays plastered to you. Normally we have the other tanks pick up banshees and melee work them down, they try to tank them in the giant CF of aoe thats going on around me, but it really isn't important seeing as their spell ward goes off every few seconds and absorbs something like 100k spell damage.
Iliria

Postby Zhalseran » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:23 am

Sometimes when I'm AoE tanking too many things, I forget to melee
Zhalseran

Postby Stylaan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:26 am

SoW is probably the most beneficial AoE tanking seal as mana gains cause AoE threat.
Stylaan

Postby Afraithe » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:42 am

Well grats on getting there, it will go from "pew pew ownage fun stuff" to "omg i hate these waves BOOOORING" quite fast. I had T4 when I started tanking these mobs, that was a bit of a challenge, nowdays its easymode.

This is how I AOE tank in MH.

* Stand behind MT, he always aggros first.
* Holy Wrath or straight up Concecrate (low rank concecrate if many Abominations to allow for the warriors to pick them up)
* Once I have my aoe group, I start maxing concecration, tab targets, judge (SoR/JoR), tab, exorcism, melee for a while on the 3rd mob, then keep tabing, judge, exorcism etc.
* All this while keeping holy shield up as much as possible.
* Watch for mobs walking away from you, ready to taunt them back or cast exorcism on them if CD is up.

Rinse and repeat, and hopefully don't fall asleep.
Afraithe

Postby Iliria » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:48 pm

Good call on SoW there...aoe threat = win for that, stupid overzealous destruction locks...
Iliria

Re: Suggestions for Hyjal

Postby Neuron » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:18 pm

Rated wrote:Question: Should I tank the banshees as well or let them be CCed and just pull my mob of death further away from them. Last night I was tanking pretty much everything.

Don't tank the banshees. Casters, melee dps, or other tanks can tank them, or use CC. If using CC, keep em away. A good way to make it easier is to: have your 2-3 shamans make a forest festival of totems between each pull, have a warrior or two run in first while you stand back and holy wrath or avenger's shield just after they aggro, coordinate your holy wrath with the CC so that CC goes off before they cast, use hunter pets and traps and such. Have a holy pally heal you the second you are in combat and then DS, or have one aggro then DS while you holy wrath the mobs off of him. Just don't drop your first consecrate until you have backed the melee mobs away from them a bit.

Also, I admit to screwing up this basically pull a few times and promptly dying within about 1-2 seconds. So it takes a bit of practice and timing. The totems help alot, mages that pay attn help alot, and warriors that can keep threat on their one target over your AOE threat help alot. Also, have a hunter or two grab one off of you or on the pull and kite it to the friendly NPCs to get them in combat.

Rated wrote:Another question is about Seal of Blood. If I am tanking a single target, should I be used SOB more then SOR? Not only would it increase my mana from being healed more due to life loss, but does it do more damage? I havent experimented with it yet, but I was going to in some 5 or 10 mans.

SOR for raiding, and mostly for 5 mans. SOB for, um, DPS or something.

Rated wrote:PS: Where can I get a nifty sig block....

www.dkpsigs.com is a good start.
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:42 pm

Zhalseran wrote:Sometimes when I'm AoE tanking too many things, I forget to melee

The only reason for which i melee mobs in Hyjal is the autoattack from Judgement.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Gavel » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:39 pm

I've been called on targetting random people in the raid instead of mobs while tanking. Hyjal is just that boring.

Consecrate and watch TV.
Gavel

Postby Worldie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:29 am

It's quite interesting that while it is funny for the first couple of times, those trashs with a tankadin become so damn easy that they actually get boring for us, while probably they get funny for the AoErs since they can just nuke everything.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Eeva » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:22 am

I do the Holy Wrath thing and consecrate thing. Once the second consecrate is down, I judge Wis or Light on a mob and then just auto attack with a recasted seal for regen that I need most. Depending on the pack of course. JoW and Seal of Wisdom is nice on the packs with the Mana burning fel hunters.
Eeva

Return to Mt. Hyjal