Remove Advertisements

Al'ar solo

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Al'ar solo

Postby phaqueue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:46 am

So - I followed the link in the thread about soloing magtheridon on a DK, and found that this guy has soloed a lot of things - including al'ar - anyone tried this yet on a prot pally?

I think we might be able to pull it off due to FR aura and less incoming damage from the adds... but not sure if we could beat the enrage - perhaps we would be getting enough mana back from sanc to pull it off?

Link to DK video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gla7MjLp ... re=related

Anyone think this is possible?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Re: Al'ar solo

Postby Metherlance » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:57 am

I worked on this AGES (pre-TOC IIRC) ago, it sure is doable but the amount of time every try takes it's just pain in the ***. I got it to ~20% or so at best, so I'm sure it would've died if I kept hitting my head to a wall.

P1 is pretty simple, but with bad luck with add explosion you could get killed at almost anytime. Happened lots of times with boss on low HP, and I gotta say I'm impressed how durable my keyboard is... :twisted: I generally resisted them fully, but once in a while one goes through and could drop you off the balcony and kill you. P1 took me ~15-20min every time.

P2 is where the fun starts with armor debuffs, more fire dmg debuffs and stuff. You generally take at least one tick of the Flame Patch and with couple of fire dmg debuffs it gets lethal pretty quick. I generally was around 20-30% hp in that phase, with back luck on adds explosion and patches and I would die.

I was pretty low on mana throughout the fight and had to change between wisdom, light and vengeance depending situation. I found that it helps a lot to keep at least one add alive through the P1 so you can hit it to keep Plea up when boss lands on the other side of the room.

I did math for the P2 and IIRC you need only to survive the 6min enrage timer which starts at the P2. Killing the adds is enough for the boss to die in that time. But be sure to kill them when boss ain't flying since when he is in air they don't do damage to him. And there's a little catch for just killing the adds. If you don't target the boss, he begins to cast Flame Buffet (not 100% sure but I'm pretty certain I was in melee range while tabbing through adds).

I used max BV gear, with fire res aura. I guess it would be MUCH easier with some fire res, or at least resistance flask, since you basically can resist every fire damage there is fully.

With current level gear it should be much faster, but haven't had time to try it, nor have the interest to try it since I wasted hours and lots of gold (for buffs/repairs) on it already, and someone got the "world first solo kill" for it already. :P

Be sure to have a friend help with the trash if you are going to try him. I soloed them every time, but with bad luck on rng you could wipe hours on them.

... Which brings me to a another boss who could be soloable now. Ah gotta try him today after I do some math. :)
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/chromaggus/Metherlance/advanced

No question remains unanswered. No doubts linger. You are Azeroth's greatest champions!
Metherlance

Postby phaqueue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:29 am

Care to elaborate which boss? or trying it first?

I'm looking for things I can solo just to say I did it...

So far - I have tried some BT trash - but unfortunately it all hits too hard (can drop a couple of the small slime things - and you can path past the first boss - but there are too many of the slimes in the way for me to get farther...)

Haven't tried Hyjal yet, but I'm pretty sure you would stall out there...

I've heard of people trying Some SSC bosses - and I'm wondering if anyone has killed any yet - pretty sure the big guy (can't remember the name) would be doable - but I haven't really looked into that much...

I'm also looking at what might be 2-mannable with a healer - I'm thinking most of TK could be done - as well and some of SSC... I know mag is pretty easy to 2-man with a healer... haven't really looked into much else - anyone else have ideas of things that could be done?

Looking for a challenge, and things that people don't normally solo...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Metherlance » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:47 am

I was thinking about Hydross, should be soloable now.

If you want challenge try A'lar, it sure is challenging, but frustrating also with the amount of time it takes. Couple bosses in ZA are also soloable. Akil'zon and Jan'alai are definitely soloable. Also I guess the bear guy, Nalorakk, should be also with current gear. Got it pretty close months ago. Heck, if you get a group to clear all the way to Zul'jin you could try that also. Would be pretty interesting fight to solo, if doable.

In SSC Morogrim is soloable and one DK has soloed it IIRC. With paladin it's impossible though to clear to him since the murloc seers heal more than you can damage them.

Two manning make some bosses harder actually. Since most of their abilities won't do anything to a tank you can just ignore those for most of the fight. But with a healer on your side he is the one eating all the stuff the boss has in it's sleeves meant for 20+ players. :)

No question remains unanswered. No doubts linger. You are Azeroth's greatest champions!
Metherlance

Postby Ardrhyst » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:24 am

How'd you handle Akil'zon's stacking nature damage debuff? I tried him back in mid-2009 and basically just started getting annihilated once the nature debuff stacked high enough.
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

Postby Metherlance » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:33 am

Ardrhyst wrote:How'd you handle Akil'zon's stacking nature damage debuff? I tried him a few months ago and basically just started getting annihilated once the nature debuff stacked high enough.

You can resist it completely, and I'm pretty sure it can miss too, so you just have to rely on RNG and try it lots of times. Also electrical storms will drop it off. You could also bubble it if it looks it's not dropping at around 5 stacks, and storm is long time away.

Metherlance

Postby Crya » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:59 am

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=133397

This guy soloed alot of interesting bosses including Al'ar. Even though it was done in 3.2 I belive some of you with better equip could still do it.
Crya

Postby Chasey » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:07 pm

I really want to try lootreaver, don't know if its possible but this has given me the motivation to try.
Chasey

Postby amh » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:14 pm

phaqueue wrote:soloing magtheridon on a DK

That was fairly hard :/ Had to go try it. Got him to 50% before he despawned. Called in a mate, easy enough with two DKs.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Metherlance » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:50 pm

Chasey wrote:I really want to try lootreaver, don't know if its possible but this has given me the motivation to try.

You'd need ~5.3k dps to beat the enrage timer. You'd need to wear s*itload of retri stuff and sacrifice great deal of survivability for it. I highly doubt it's soloable.

Haven't had time to test Hydross, and I'm pretty sure I can't do it since I have only <ToC retri stuff, someone with access to better ones should able to do it though.

Metherlance

Postby Belloc » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:50 am

Hydross is not currently soloable with the amount of DPS we can put out. I was able to survive until the enrage timer, but Hydross was only at about 50% health.

I suppose you might be able to kite him around the platforms and swim for the amount of time it takes for his berserk buff to expire.
Belloc

Postby Angelarc6570 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:11 pm

Just finished soloing Al'ar, took me about 30 to 40 mins, and nothing good dropped.

The key is to try and keep as many adds alive from P1 as possible, then the 2nd phase becomes pretty easy.

So much fun :D
"Half my friendslist is made up of people I need to remember to hate"

Tier List! Supports!!

http://www.omgyumyum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Return to General Strats