Remove Advertisements

(Warrior) Leveling Build Help

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

(Warrior) Leveling Build Help

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Hey again, my girlfriend is playing a warrior with my baby mage and we are askin' fer help with our new Alts!

Recommendations for the best build for leveling quickly (While teaming with a mage)

Along with any suggestions on what powers / rotations to use would be highly appreciated! Thanks all!
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Re: (Warrior) Leveling Build Help

Postby hoho » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:57 pm

Prot would be quite awesome I'd say. I solo-leveled as prot from level 20-ish all the way to 80 and it was pretty much as good as a tankadin, just with slightly less self-healing. Paired with a mage you could gather up mobs while she drinks. When at full mana spam blizzard :)

At lower levels mage has HUGE mana problems so single-target dps is relatively useless as she'd have to drink 'after every few mobs. Rather gather and kill 5+ at a time I'd say
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Balgorra » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:51 am

Go prot if you want to use the dungeon finder, think tanks still get pretty quick groups even at lower levels. If you just plan on questing then go Arms, with BoA Axe, chest, and shoulders stuff dies pretty fast sometimes before charge is off cooldown. Only problem I have had with arms is when DPSing an instance I am real high on dps, for that level, if stuff dies slow are real low if it dies fast. Only thing I can think that is causing this is the 3.8 speed of the axe. If stuff dies to fast for me to hit 2-3 times to get rage I am just auto attacking.
Balgorra

Postby Jasari » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:53 am

I'd go prot, especially paired with a mage. Your single target DPS is worse than arms or fury, but you're able to go (nearly) instant dungeon queues and AOE grind.
Jasari

Postby Vorianloken » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:02 am

Like everybody else has mentioned, Prot is the way to go especially when teaming with another player. I am running a prot warrior with my gf's holy priest and its quiet fun in instances :) Loving it so far.

And http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warrior ... Y-qH,11573 is what I am going with for now.

Also, I generally just skip using heroic strike as revenge/shield block + shield slam/rend/cleave/thunderclap keep me quite busy, not to mention refreshing battle shout and demo shout.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:04 am

Wow, I'm actually suprised to here everyone saying to go prot. I would have never considered it. I tried to level prot for a while on my pally and it was horrid.. That was WAAAAAAY back in the day though...

We'll definately have to try it out and see how it goes.. Not sure how dungeon q's for low lvls will be w/o a healer.. having the tank is going to be tremendous though.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Jasari » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:42 am

Shyrtandros wrote:Wow, I'm actually suprised to here everyone saying to go prot. I would have never considered it. I tried to level prot for a while on my pally and it was horrid.. That was WAAAAAAY back in the day though...

We'll definately have to try it out and see how it goes.. Not sure how dungeon q's for low lvls will be w/o a healer.. having the tank is going to be tremendous though.

I've been getting nearly instant queues on my warrior tank from levels 25-35 queuing alone.
Jasari

Postby hoho » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:05 am

aoe grinding questmobs as prot was quite fast, having a healer+3xdps backing you up and doing the grind inside instances will be very fast. With talented thunderclap you won't be seeing people pulling more DPS than you before around L50-something or when you get frost mages spamming blizzard (or some stupid priest who glyphs holy nova and drinks after every pull :P). Also, warriors are incredibly OP from quite early levels. Shield block makes you nearly invulnerable while it's active vs melee attacks.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Roots » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:35 am

Arms leveling is pro. I've switch to a prot spec twice between levels 1-65, once to tank ramps and once to solo the asshole and his two goons while looking for some book in Shattrath. I've tanked all classic instances as arms, and single target threat with UA beats prot at early levels by a large margin

If leveling prot, you want to pick up impTClap and Warbringer as soon as they come available.

Leveling Arms, heroic strike from ~1-20 helps; pick up the talents that improve Overpower as soon as possible (at work and can't remember the names: proc overpower on rend tic, crit strike on rend, Unrelenting Assault)
Roots

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:39 am

Aw man, all this juicy talk about pwn leveling as a prot warrior with the whole thunderclap DPS is making me jelous that she got the warrior and I got the mage.. (We flipped a coin over who gets to play what..) Reroll double warrior!! LOL ..nah I like my lil pew pew..

I guess closer into the 20s I'll have her respec into prot.. She's still rather new so being the tank might 'scare' her a bit
Shyrtandros

Postby Kelaan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:42 am

On the other hand, being a tank is a relatively natural transition from soloing: No need to worry about "omg I have aggro! get it off me!", no need to watch threat, etc. You are in control of where the mobs go, etc etc. All the fun reasons we became tanks. She might like it!

"You get to continually hit mobs in the face with your shield, and then question their parentage when they DARE look at someone else. You are a big bad mofo and they'd best respect that."
Kelaan

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:26 pm

EPIC LAWL!!!!

I remember fighting a corehound in MC and the tank yelled out "YOUR MOTHER WAS A STORMSNOUT" When he taunted it...

(It didn't actually make since of course.. but it cracked everyone up)
Shyrtandros

Postby Vorianloken » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:16 am

Shyrtandros wrote:Wow, I'm actually suprised to here everyone saying to go prot. I would have never considered it. I tried to level prot for a while on my pally and it was horrid.. That was WAAAAAAY back in the day though...

well i've seen queues of 3 seconds all the way to about 10-12minutes but they are generally quite fast... and if you level prot then it's all about AE grinding mobs... gather up like 7-8 mobs, pop bloodrage+berserker rage+shield wall+shield block and just beat the shit out of mobs

least that's how i'm doing it :)
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby crazyharry » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:06 am

I am levelling my warrior as prot at the moment and I feel indestructable, its awesome. I levelled my pally, dk and druid as tanks without hesitation as I knew that although they would take damage, I could fix it with healing or bloodstrike. My warrior just isnt taking any damage in the first place, its great, AND, I can stunlock mobs... how OP is that in a tank?!

Also, I can't decide if I like Shield Bash or Spell Reflect more. There is something awesome about whacking a caster with your shield as if to say 'shut up and fight like a man' but nuking them with their own spell is just as much fun.

The only downside is I am fast approaching 80 (70 - 74 and a half yesterday) and the gear/rep/badge grind begins in earnest.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
crazyharry

Postby Vorianloken » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:32 pm

finally turned 50 yesterday on mine and picked up devastate :) now i can skip rend and devastate spam mwahahahahaha...

gonna have fun till i turn 51 and can pick warbringer :P

Vorianloken

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes