Remove Advertisements

tattoo thread

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

tattoo thread

Postby Joanadark » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:37 pm

so I'm getting my first tattoo this week. wasn't a snap decision. gave myself a month to reconsider and make sure I actually wanted to go through with it and I decided I was comfortable with the idea.

Gonna look approximately like this:

placement is gonna be on my chest, with the left nipple a couple inches above the dragon's head.

I'm interested to hear your tattoo stories, since this is gonna be a new experience for me.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Re: tattoo thread

Postby guillex » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:14 pm

Don't go drunk/stoned. There's always a possibility that your blood will thin, and you'll bleed just a bit too much.

My first tat was done under the influence of beer and hash. The decision wasn't made to get it while silly, just the actual tattooing (was done privately; the roommate of one of my coworkers was an ex-professional who started his own private shop... everything was clean, opened in front of me, and thrown out afterwards). It's the tribal "S" from Slipknot's CD, on its side. Didn't hurt much, until he started filling it in and went a bit deep a few times. Nothing bad.

My second was a decision with my best friend. It's on our inner forearms. Panthers in triple, forming a circle with their tails. Didn't hurt terribly, but it was sore for longer than my arm.

Third is "1 4 3". It's on the nape of my neck. My wife has the same tattoo, in the small of her back. It was her first tat, and we got them done together. That one hurt.

I don't have any on my chest, 'cause it's way too hairy... All I can say is don't tense up, don't listen to people who say you're going to die of pain, and follow the care directions. Especially the cleaning directions. The less scabbing you have, the better it will turn out, and the less amount of times you have to go back for touch-ups. ;)
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby phaqueue » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:48 pm

I have 2 so far...

One on my right arm that I got when I was 17, and one on my left shoulder

pic of the one on my left shoulder:

People will try to tell you that they hurt a ton, but it's really not bad - I actually enjoy it...

There are certain parts that will hurt, but for the most part it's more of a very strong buzzing... the only time it will actually hurt is when there is a long line.

I can't wait to get my next one... unfortunately money is the issue right now - hopefully soon enough I'll have some extra dough to spend on getting another one done :)

Enjoy - once you start it's addicting!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby guillex » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:55 pm

phaqueue wrote:People will try to tell you that they hurt a ton, but it's really not bad - I actually enjoy it...

There are certain parts that will hurt, but for the most part it's more of a very strong buzzing... the only time it will actually hurt is when there is a long line.

Gotta love the endorphin rush!

phaqueue wrote:I can't wait to get my next one... unfortunately money is the issue right now - hopefully soon enough I'll have some extra dough to spend on getting another one done :)

Oh god, so it is. I always look forward to, when I have money, getting a tribal sock done.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Ruex » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:14 pm

I haven't had the resources to get the Tattoos I want done yet. But they will be done soon I hope. Main emphasis is keeping them all in the same esthetic. I want to avoid what my brother did, where he has numerous tattoo's but they do not all fit together, and now it looks a bit like a skin patch collage. I mean there is alot of space on the human body, but few prime pieces.

To be done is a Fleur de lis on one shoulder, and a Celtic Cross on the other.
3rd is the fun one. it Is to be a Barcode either on the back of my Calf with "Made in Canada" on top and "Fabriqué au Canada" on the bottom of it.

I am still debating What the Barcode is to be from though. I was thinking maybe one from a Tin of Tim Hortons coffee or Mayple syrup. Haven't figured it out yet. Has to be something quintessentially Canadian.

Also Guillex, what is the significance of "1 4 3"?

Cheers.

Postby Ruex » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:16 pm

phaqueue wrote:I can't wait to get my next one... unfortunately money is the issue right now - hopefully soon enough I'll have some extra dough to spend on getting another one done :)

As they say, 1 leads to 2.. 2 leads to 20.

Postby Levantine » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:29 pm

I haven't got mine yet, waiting on my friend to finish the design for me and $$$ and the cool off time of to see whether I really want it, but it's gunna be something akin to a phoenix bathed in flame climbing up my left side.
Levantine

Postby Amshel » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:33 pm

I have two. Script "LONG LIVE THE KING" on my upper arm and a lion statue* on my right hip/ribs.

Any reputable tattoo parlor will not let you come in stoned/intoxicated. They will have you sign a form saying you understand what you're doing, you're not on drugs and they have told you how to properly care for your tattoo, etc.

I've been contemplating getting another lion on my other side for some sort of symmetry.. or something but I haven't ever been 100% sure on it. They are very addictive and when they aren't vibrating against bones they feel kinda good.

Lion statue*
Amshel

Postby Arnock » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Although I dont have any tattoos (haven't had the money or any good Ideas really), the best advice I've ever heard regarding to them, is to never get a tat just because it 'looks cool,' 10 or 20 years down the road, you might very well not think it looks cool anymore. If you're gonna get one, it should have some sort of personal significance o meaning to you.

And in regards to the bar code, definitely go with the maple syrup.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby guillex » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:37 pm

Ruex wrote:Also Guillex, what is the significance of "1 4 3"?

Cheers.

Number of letters in words.

1 = I

4 = Love

3 = You

Good thing about it is, if ever we split (God forbid!), it's ambiguous enough to not endanger anything in the future.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby 8bit » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:10 am

guillex wrote:Don't go drunk/stoned. There's always a possibility that your blood will thin, and you'll bleed just a bit too much.
I was always under the impression that most places wouldn't even do it if you were inebriated.
8bit

Postby Minnerva » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:20 am

just a question, why the need to pain stuff on your skin? not saying it out of hate for them, but i don't really understand is there a reason for it?

Minnerva

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:36 am

Most people seem to have an emotional reason for it. I think it's really cool and beautiful if it's properly done.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ruex » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:42 am

I knew a Guy who got reaaaaally drunk after a kick boxing Match he won at.

He wanted this Tattoo so bad.. even drunk he persuaded the Artist to do the tattoo. The guy drew it out, and told the Artist "I want it exactly like this, Just like this!"
The guy was like "O.K."
... Now he has the word "Dicipline" in big Gothic script in an arch across his stomach.
What was even funnier was just last year we were exchanging tattoo stories at my work, and a guy was talking about a Tattoo artist friend of his who one day had this big drunk guy come in who wanted the words "Dicipline" in big Gothic letter in an arch across....

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:04 am

That's mine. I got it done in 1999. Lower back.

Loved the feeling of getting ink. I fell asleep listening to music. It felt like a burning/ripping sensation on your skin. Yes, the endorphins are phenomenal and no, it doesn't hurt that bad. Took about 40 minutes to get it fully inked, and I went back for retouching a few months after.

Like others have said... don't go drunk (alcohol will thin out your blood and make the scarring process poor), the same goes for any painkillers. Try to avoid having anything "unnatural" in your system, it just helps with the healing process. Your tattoo will scar over and become a scab when it's done. Don't pick at it, the flakes will comes off on their own.

Have a fantastic experience. And careful, it's addicting. ;)

I've had mine... what... eleven years now? And still love it.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum