Remove Advertisements

3.3.2 Threat Issue

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: 3.3.2 Threat Issue

Postby Detrimental » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:11 pm

I've noticed our two warrior tanks climbing in TPS (as reported by Omen) higher and staying a higher TPS more consistently over the past couple weeks. I'm not too concerned myself since there is honestly no reason for a threat issue on a mob which requires more than one tank. I don't know the exact setup of your raid, but tank should be fed threat buffs regularly such as MD and Tricks. With those threat buffs regularly applied, it's HIGHLY unlikely for a soaker to pass you in threat especially since the tank being hit should generate more threat through blocks (for warriors and paladins)
Detrimental

Postby Zaephod » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Following up on this one, I still think there's something screwy going on with warrior threat being so high, but most of my issues are within 100K threat of establishing aggro (start of a fight or aggro wipe) and my rotation. In that initial window, a critical block shield slam crit and a few devastates can catch me in a hurry. I also found a critty druid could do it in that same window. Last night's run in 25 VoA had me 25-30% above the warrior in question once established on a target.

It took a lot of adjustment on my part b/c I'm still sporting some of the habits I developed in BC, i.e., spamming the Holy Shield button. I'm doing a lot of cooldown watching, but my threat has improved significantly with a much better rotation. I've also got a spiffy 2.6 axe for threat if I need it.
Image Image
Zaephod

Postby kazinji » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Devastate Buff Hotfix
*Yes, we are hotfixing Devastate to do 20% more damage, not just 20% more weapon damage.
*I can't comment on when the hotfix will go live, because there are a lot of people involved in getting those changes pushed out, so we just don't know. Often hotfixes go live within a day or two, but some may take longer if we find a bug or unexpected side-effect to the initial change.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=22749573594&pageNo=1&sid=1#7

Protection
*Concussion Blow: The damage done by this ability has been reduced by 50%, but its threat generation will remain approximately the same.
*Devastate: This ability now deals 120% of weapon damage, up from 100% of weapon damage.
*Shield Slam: The damage scaling from block value for this ability now diminishes faster and diminishes starting at a lower block value. The difference should be negligible for players in high-end tanking armor. In addition, the threat caused by Shield Slam has been increased by 30%.
*Warbringer: This talent no longer allows Charge and Intercept to break roots or snares. Intervene remains unaffected.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/

All in all more threat for warriors.
kazinji

Postby jere » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:13 am

Just as a note, that Shield Slam change + the devastate buff is probably the culprit. Relative Shield slam damage didn't change much at all for boss fighting as warrior tanks don't typically gear for SBV anyways. A 30% increase on threat, however, is pretty large.
jere

Postby Minarva » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:19 am

In the next minor patch they also get a revenge buff, expect warriors to be doing even more threat. The numbers thrown around buffing warrior damage seem very...large..in comparison to our 5% RF nerf.
Minarva

Postby Flex » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Zaephod wrote:In that initial window, a critical block shield slam crit and a few devastates can catch me in a hurry.

Critical Block does nothing for Shield Slam damage.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Yelena » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:14 pm

Minarva wrote:In the next minor patch they also get a revenge buff, expect warriors to be doing even more threat. The numbers thrown around buffing warrior damage seem very...large..in comparison to our 5% RF nerf.

Paladin threat, even post-RF-nerf, was still significantly higher than that of a comparably geared/skilled Warrior.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby Zaephod » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:18 am

Flex wrote:
Zaephod wrote:In that initial window, a critical block shield slam crit and a few devastates can catch me in a hurry.

Critical Block does nothing for Shield Slam damage.

Ah yes...shield block activated is the one that helps shield slam. Oh well.

Last night, in ICC25, the same warrior pulled off me, this time with my wings popped and proceeded to pull 12k tps afterwards which is far greater than the 9k I can do. Then I got pissed off and threw on my expertise and hit capped set only to have it happen again after he "only hit devastate twice." Combine that with his ability to maintain 99% threat while not tanking Saurfang and I was really annoyed last night. Now he has 2-piece T10 set bonus (one i264 which is the first for our guild)...

They really need to fix this...It's fine that they do more damage, their threat was fine. Just retune the threat modifiers and be done with it. This will be especially annoying if the threat boost to Icy Touch makes DKs pull off me too...
Image Image
Zaephod

Postby Mevy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:24 am

Same Problem, even the warrior tank said its totaly overpowered atm. He also said with Sunwellradiance v2 its even easier cuz no more Rage holes.

Esp in ICC in fights like Arthas where u need to maintain heavy EH.

@least good to hear that im not the only one who got these issues ^^.
Mevy

Postby Xanthir » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:39 am

I have noticed a reasonably significant increase in warrior tps compared to my tps, however it is still not enough to pass me up, and I find I can also still pass them for the most part. I have found that warrior tps is still pretty spiky where their tps will burst pretty high, then bottom out, and later spike again. I assume this is due to sword and board + shield block BV increase. With the devastate blizz made warrior threat a little more steady, but it is still pretty dependent on SB, whereas my threat tends to be a lot steadier and with a pretty big burst in the very beginning due to exorcism+hand of reckoning (for the damage not the taunt), then avenger's shield, and judgment before the mob even gets to me will tend to overcome a warrior's charge/SS.

We will have to see what this next patch brings in regards to the warrior revenge buff, but I am not particularly concerned, I think it will just bring things a bit more into balance "hopefully".

-Zaephod-
I was looking at your armory profile, one thing you might want to consider if you are having threat issues, is focusing on getting some more str either from getting more tanking gear with str on it, or perhaps geming more for str if you really need it (although I don't tend to recommend geming for str). You could also pick up the libram that adds to str (Libram of Valiance) instead of dodge. In is a pretty significant threat increase, I tend to swap back and forth between the dodge libram and the str libram depending on the fight, and I find that it is pretty useful. Just a couple of suggestions :).
Xanthir

Postby Zaephod » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Sadly, I thought I was using that libram in that set.

I guess sitting on the 253 Frost badges I have is not doing me much good. I guess it's time to start buying either some tier gear for the set bonus (2p only) or get the 264 stuffs.
Image Image
Zaephod

Postby Xanthir » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Yeah the 2 piece tier 10 is pretty awesome for threat gen. Plus you should also get some more str from it which will help your threat.
Xanthir

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations