When is a Tankadin Ready for Heroics?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Lakirby » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:59 am

Andox wrote:My first was heroic Blood Furnance, I was shocked that last boss hitted like a girl ;)

QFT, I soloed his last 10% in my healing gear with a 2H (Hammer of the Naaru) the other night.
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby Comma » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:32 pm

A good healer should always check tank's gear first, and be ready. Ive had some healer in my very early H-BF, like 2-3months ago, saying he was used to T5 tank, and wasnt ready for the first few melee packs, I died 2 times on the first few trash. :( Like hell, this instance is not designed for T5 tanks, and that healer wasnt even using renew, no heal for 10 sec or something, he's either slow, or not paying any attention, making excuses to me and himself, that he sucks. I said one more death on trash I will leave, then he woke up.

We should think about if there's anything we havnt done right first, when you know you did what you can and did well, with experience, and you keep dieing, stand up and tell the healer L2heal! O RLY.
Comma

Postby Keiran » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:01 am

Usually the pug healer isnt prepared for a aoe'ing tank :p Especially not one with only 2 epics. But once they wake up, I pull everything.
Keiran

Postby Exodius » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:44 am

I've had this as well.

On a heroic ramparts run for the daily badges, I was in a PUG group (as I often am). The paladin healer was just awful at the start. He was just flash healing away while I was getting stunlocked, getting massive damage spikes and generally dying alot.

That might work in raid healing, but there is no one to back you up in a heroic (normally). If your healers mana bar is full and you are dead when they haven't been max ranking their healing spells... it's definitely the healer.

So after several whispers I think he finally started to learn to stop heal botting and start proactively max ranking his holy light.

We then finished the run without any more wipes. :D
Exodius

Postby Comma » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:26 am

Exodius wrote:That might work in raid healing, but there is no one to back you up in a heroic (normally). If your healers mana bar is full and you are dead when they haven't been max ranking their healing spells... it's definitely the healer.

Exactly, today I was LF healer in trade channel for ZA last 2 bosses when server maintenance coming up soon, our healers all take break today >_>, one shaman told me he has 1500 +heal, but no experience, I said no, he said he was healing fine in MH, should be fine in ZA. I loled irl, and said no more confidently.
Comma

Finally Did it

Postby ctyotyler » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:30 pm

First off I'd like to thank everyone who contributed. Secondly I just wanted you to know that I finally did my first heroic. Went through SP last night in just under an hour. It was a really exciting run because it was real tanking again.

Recently I've been speeding through Bot and SV sometimes pulling more without wanting any CC and I still went oom. But this run was superb! The mobs hit me pretty good and I usually stayed above 50% mana. For the most part I don't think I'll go back to regular.

So thanks again and hope that others have found use out of the information posted here.
Enjoy Life!
ctyotyler

Postby Exodius » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:51 am

Comma wrote:Exactly, today I was LF healer in trade channel for ZA last 2 bosses when server maintenance coming up soon, our healers all take break today >_>, one shaman told me he has 1500 +heal, but no experience, I said no, he said he was healing fine in MH, should be fine in ZA. I loled irl, and said no more confidently.

I feel like a noob... what's MH?

No matter how I rack my brains, I can't think what it is. Only one I can think of is Main Healer, but that's a title, not a place. :?
Exodius

Postby Lakirby » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:46 am

Mount Hyjal?
Lakirby

Postby Doloth » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:18 pm

First heroic I did was Ramparts (back when we thought that heroic difficulty was scaled to the original instance), but before they nerfed how hard it was. I remember that it was not too bad until the dual-wielding mobs that hit me for 1300-1700 a hit and did that in rapid sucession. I wasn't even uncrushable at that point, so it was a hard run, but we did do it.
Doloth

Postby Athon » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:07 pm

I've tried heroic SP, BF and Ramparts with my pally so far. 11.7k health, 509 defense, about 11.9k armor, around 45% dodge + parry + miss, 90% avoidance. Very painful every time. Only managed to finish heroic BF. The problem is usually the CC, but it is quite depressing that there's zero margin for error unless you're massively overgeared for the heroic.

Got 5 badges of justice so far.
Athon

Postby Minn » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:31 pm

One thing to keep in mind for heroics if you're worried about gear, is consumables. You can add 500 or so hp and a healthy amount of agi with an elixir of major fortitude, elixir of major agility and sta food. If you and some friends are trying to shift up from normal instances to heroics, a flask or two might help you learn the instance. Ironshield potions are nice to have on hand: I once tanked the 2nd boss in heroic UB with no healer(punted to the fishes), one ironshield, LoH and a healthstone. Liberal use of panic-button trinkets like Dabiri's Enigma, Pocketwatch, FotC will also help smooth things out a bit.

Experience helps tremendously. Knowing which mobs stun, which are CCable (no, you don't have to ae tank everything), which ones fear/silence/mc really helps. If you have the opportunity to tag along with a group that regularly runs heroics, take it and watch how each pull is set up. Once you've been through, you're well on the way to being able to run it successfully with any reasonably-geared/skilled groupmates.
Minn

Postby Balls » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:03 am

Zahir wrote:
Utena wrote:It's not so much a question of "can you tank it?," but rather, "can they heal it?"

the more and more i tank heroics, the more and more i realize this. Healing is completely different in Heroics, and if you don't have a good healer it's usually GG.

I've had people complain to me that i take too much damage, and there are some who compliment me for doing such a great job. It's usually the "bad" healers that say i take too much dmg cause they aren't used to healing a heroic and the good healers the ones saying the latter due to my ability to keep threat on the mobs and do my job.

Kinda makes me want to find a permanent healer for heroics...but i'm lazy :P

Generally past a certain gear point, they can't really say that anymore, cause if you're walking around in SSC/Tk gear as a tank, and they say you tkae too much damage, they're just that bad.
Balls

Postby Westcott » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:18 am

I would use my armory as a basis because I'm just starting heroics myself. Of course my head piece and libram are the only things that might be hard to get. Hell I'm still trying to get pieces out of normal 5mans. I didn't have them the first two heroics, though. I've done Mech and Bot twice now with minimal fuss and my core group is very happy having Pally Tank. Learning to do the pulls and being able to trust your CC people has made it pretty trivial so far. Also, my healer is a monster and we have complete trust in each other.
Tankadins: Keeping group members repair bills low since 2006
Westcott

Postby Memnoch » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:34 am

The worst thing about 2.3 is that heroics can be joined by greenjeans.

I wish that revered was still a requirement for heroics.... I'm hardly an epic tankadin, but seeing healers in greens trying to pug heroics with <1k+H and <8k mana, i just opt out when i see heals like that...

And BF is the suck. the event before the 2nd boss is a test of endurance and mana management. play it smart, use trinkets and CD's wisely.

As noted before, CC is the key.

I think personally i'll try SP next, didn't know it was that easy ;)
My tattoo is awesome.
Memnoch

Postby Exodius » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:39 am

Memnoch wrote:And BF is the suck. the event before the 2nd boss is a test of endurance and mana management. play it smart, use trinkets and CD's wisely.

The event before the second boss... every mob can stun, and they can end up chain stunning you. Your healer needs to pay attention and pump out the big heals when this happens, especially in the first 15 seconds or so.

Even with 15k buffed health and my normal heroic group, it's still a hard fight. It's all because of the stuns. Just prewarn the healer to chain heal max rank until one or two trash die. :?
Exodius

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics