How to make Gold as a tank?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby Soam » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:53 am

Hey all.
It's another how to make gold thread. I've done my research and most places say the auction house and dailies are the best ways to make gold. A lot of the threads and information outline is pretty outdated now too. The auction house was losing me money and I don't meet a lot of the pre-requisites for necessary dailies.
I'm trying to save up 12k for Boots of Kingly Upheaval [*]http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49907[/*]

Would I be better off running random daily heroics, soloing instances or farming a certain area, and what are some good places to farm or solo instances for gold?
Soam

Re: How to make Gold as a tank?

Postby hoho » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:04 am

The way I got myself crafted pants in a month after ICC release:

you need: alts. Preferrably lots of them and some with decent crafting professions. For you mining/alchemy would be the best.

What to do:
Run dailys/voa/weekly/pug ICC with as many of them as possible
Craft titansteel with them on cooldown
Get a saronite every week/couple of weeks with each one from emblems

Playing the AH has always worked and will always work. Only thing that can happen if you are trying to earn gold on stuff that isn't optimal. Unfortunately the optimal thing can and will depend on server/time of day week week and unlimited amounts of other factors so there isn't a single solid strategy to do this. That's also probably the reason why I completely fail at using AH to earn gold :P
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Digren » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:35 am

With one exception, I make all of my auction house money on consumables. I rarely even bother listing random blues, etc., that drop, as they won't sell at any price and I'm just wasting my deposit cost. Consumables include enchant vellums, enchants, enchant mats, cut gems, and bullets.

The one exception is Lifelike Mechanical Toads, because I'm the only one who sells them on my server, and it's an RP server, and I don't gouge so people are willing to pick them up. They make me a reliable 500g a week for zero work provided I can buy all the mats cheap on the AH. (I buy Thorium Widgets from people leveling up engineering, usually for far less than the cost to make them myself.)

I also find raiding to be profitable most nights. My flasks are provided for, so I only pay repair costs, and gold drops usually cover those unless it's a wipe night for progression. The daily for frost badges is profitable, too.
Digren

Postby bldavis » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:52 am

Most of my gold comes from running randoms, and doing dailys. as far as not meeting the req's for dailies, just grind out a bunch of quests, get them unlocked and make a ton of money while your doing it!

about once a week ill sell my stock of saronite bars/ore (what ever is going for a better price/less competition) and i try to sell my T-Steel CD every time its up unless i need bars (not so much any more)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby mclem » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:14 am

For me, it was rather simple when the ephiphany hit: The realisation just last week that, due to having been the go-to tank for guild for raids, heroics, occasional fun sidetrips for so very long, I had a *lot* of stockpiled emblems to hand and they were now easily convertable into cash via epic gems. I've already made about 7k so far, and I've got something like 200 Valor still to get through... and then I'll move on to the over-1000-Conquests. And while I'm ploughing through them, I'll keep accumulating Triumphs as I keep helping out the needy...

I've set myself a vague goal of hitting 50k sometime in March, at which point I'll go on a spending spree to get my long-awaited vendor mammoth and a set of Portable Holes, then right back selling again to try to get myself a decent financial foundation for Cataclysm.
mclem

Postby Discus » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:30 am

If you search on here you will find a recent long thread relating to this... eventually they descend into name called but the first few pages are really useful.

As stated above converting any unwanted triumph badges to valor/conquest and exchanging them for runed/crusader orbs or gems (see which sell for most/badge) works. Also exchange stone keepers shards for honor when your faction has control of Winter then exchange the honor for sellable epic gems in stormwind. Personally, since they made the Hyacinth Macaw epic, I've never had much luck playing the AH, but many on here clearly have.

The bad news is Blizzard spotted tanks were having too much fun aoe farming in TBC (Supplicants - probably through watching posts on this site and others) and nerfed most reasonable options - which is quite annoying when you're a non-raiding tank who choose a paladin to aoe farm. You can solo instances (Hellfire Citadel etc) raids (Molten Core etc). But I've tried everything and coincidentally everything I try averages out at 300-500g per hour, so it's just a matter of rotating fishing/mining/smithing/JC/Inscription /soloing or whatever your professions are to keep interested. It certainly takes me less time to earn Gold than in TBC but far far longer to earn enough to buy upgrades as they are so expensive.

Good luck - I'm saving for the Battered Hilt and then maybe the same boots (otherwise I'm done with the game until the next expansion as a non raider).
Discus

Postby Platino » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:44 am

I echo the 'Alt' sentiment. All EoF on my main goes to upgrades. EoF on my alt paladin tank has been going to upgrades as well, to ensure the guild has a suitable backup tank if need be.

All EoF on my warrior tank and hunter have been going to Saronite. With weeklies and VoA, it hasn't taken that long at all. My main has his boots, and have enough EoF for another 3 Saronite (although I'm not sure what I'll do with them).
Platino - Paladin (Prot/Prot) - Argent Dawn
Gauu - Hunter (Survival) - Argent Dawn
Greysonn - Warrior (Prot/Arms) - Argent Dawn
Duncann - Paladin (Prot/Holy) - Argent Dawn
Kharaa - Mage (Arcane) - Argent Dawn
Platino

Postby Kelaan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Platino wrote:My main has his boots, and have enough EoF for another 3 Saronite (although I'm not sure what I'll do with them).

I am torn as well.

120 frost emblems could buy my alt (DK) 2x T10, which will be useful in Cataclysm I hope. (For the set bonus, that is, even if the stats may be lackluster in 3-4 levels.) Conversely, selling 5 Primordial Saronite would net me ~11k gold, which is double my current bankroll, and enable me to be covered for consumables probably until Cataclysm hits.

At this point, I am leaning towards the t10 pieces, since I'm unlikely to get VoA on my alt (or on my server, to be more accurate)... but going into Cataclysm with a bankroll to buy gems or herbs to level professions sounds profoundly tempting.
Kelaan

Postby Koatanga » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Don't forget to check your Stonekeeper Shards. They pile up over time and you just forget they are there. Buy honour with the Shards, and buy uncut epic gems with our honour.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby hoho » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Tbh I'd say T10 gear is about as useful in Cataclysm as Kara stuff was in WotLK. Yea, it kind of works but considering how huge the game mechanics changes will be (everyone have been talking about massive HP boost on tanks) I doubt they are of much use.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby Kelaan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Hm; that's an interesting point. I was assuming that they'd rework our tier gear to fit new mechanics. They changed our tier gear in TBC to use Strength when 3.0 came out, after all. I was thinking of the DPS 2xT10 for my DK, but the same principle applies.

Then again, I leveled him with leveling greens and it was still Just Fine, so I guess that's a vote in favor of going for the money.
Kelaan

Postby Belloc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:55 pm

hoho wrote:Tbh I'd say T10 gear is about as useful in Cataclysm as Kara stuff was in WotLK. Yea, it kind of works but considering how huge the game mechanics changes will be (everyone have been talking about massive HP boost on tanks) I doubt they are of much use.

This isn't a very good comparison.

Karazhan gear was worthless in WotLK, but Black Temple and Sunwell gear certainly wasn't. The direct comparison is to say that Tier 10 quality gear should be very useful in Cataclysm.

Furthermore, there's no reason to suspect that stat changes will hinder us. Our gear was modified from BC to WotLK, so why wouldn't it be from WotLK to Cataclysm?

The stamina changes are, if I am not mistaken, mainly for non-tanking classes. Either way, they won't be a hinderence for us.
Belloc

Postby Shoju » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:57 pm

I would assume that the loss of defense in the itemization of tanking gear is going to get moved directly to armor and stam. They dont' want avoidance getting out of control, and they have said that one of the trade offs of tanking was a lack of DPS. That leaves Stam and Armor as the likely places for the lost itemization to get shoved.
Shoju

Postby Dane » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:58 pm

hoho wrote:Tbh I'd say T10 gear is about as useful in Cataclysm as Kara stuff was in WotLK. Yea, it kind of works but considering how huge the game mechanics changes will be (everyone have been talking about massive HP boost on tanks) I doubt they are of much use.

Don't you think that's kind of a stab in the dark considering 1) How little we know about Cataclysm thus far and 2) the clearly set precident of the top tier gear going into the next expansion, twice over now?
Dane

Postby hoho » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Belloc wrote:Karazhan gear was worthless in WotLK, but Black Temple and Sunwell gear certainly wasn't. The direct comparison is to say that Tier 10 quality gear should be very useful in Cataclysm.
Reason why I used Kara gear is because they didn't really change the HP pools much with wotlk and I assume the change will be greater in Cataclysm. SWP geared tanks ran around in roughly the same HP as blue quest/crafted geared tanks (22k-ish)
Belloc wrote:Furthermore, there's no reason to suspect that stat changes will hinder us. Our gear was modified from BC to WotLK, so why wouldn't it be from WotLK to Cataclysm?
Yes, int/spellpower got removed from tank gear but e.g priests kept their completely useless set bonus and MP5 on dps gear. There will be changes but I'm sure cata gear will be better itemized.
Belloc wrote:The stamina changes are, if I am not mistaken, mainly for non-tanking classes. Either way, they won't be a hinderence for us.
Unless they intend to lower healers output by 50% when the patch hit they WILL increase everyone HP pool by a ton. Only thing about DPS HP they said was they won't be wasting itemization points for stam on plate dps gear and that DPS should have all roughly equal HP.

So basically what I claimed was that it's not really reasonable to spend emblems for leveling/early Cata raiding as you'll likely get comparable stuff from quests. Also it'll take months for the patch to arrive and you can easily farm 2+ full sets of T10 gear before that. Just use the emblems for gearing your main and you'll be fine.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Next

Return to General