How much spell damage for ZA?

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

How much spell damage for ZA?

Postby dlantz » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:08 am

I'm only at 197 + dam right now, but it's served me just fine through all of Kara. Of course, now that I won't be fighting undead anymore, I figure I might need to boost that.

As of now, I'm looking at the Season 1 mace, so that'll put me up to 270ish. Will that be enough, or should I be aiming higher to keep up with my dpsers? (Also plan to get the heroic chest, but not enough tokens yet. That'll put me a little over 300 total)
dlantz

Postby Vanifae » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:08 am

You want as much as you can get the higher threat ceiling you can create the harder your dps can go.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby dlantz » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:14 am

I was hoping someone that ran ZA on the PTR would have a decent idea of about how much damage is needed to comfortably hold threat against a group of dpsers that are in full kara gear but nothing higher. /shrug.

Higher is better isn't really a useful comment. :( Spell damage has an item value, and my budget is limited, so obviously more damage = less stamina or avoidance. I need to know if I should be sacrificing health for threat, or if I'll be fine as I am.
dlantz

Postby Vanifae » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:16 am

dlantz wrote:I was hoping someone that ran ZA on the PTR would have a decent idea of about how much damage is needed to comfortably hold threat against a group of dpsers that are in full kara gear but nothing higher. /shrug.

Higher is better isn't really a useful comment. :( Spell damage has an item value, and my budget is limited, so obviously more damage = less stamina or avoidance. I need to know if I should be sacrificing health for threat, or if I'll be fine as I am.

250+

I am sitting at 310 currently.

You do not want to sacrifice health, stuff in ZA hits way too hard to sacrifice health.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Dorvan » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:39 am

I think the answer was vague because most people just use whatever's in their current tanking set up: in my case that's 340 and I was fine, but I didn't try lowering my spell damage below that because my stam is already maxxed in that gear.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby dlantz » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:19 am

Thanks. That's more like what I was looking for. :)
dlantz

Postby Tekkel » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:53 am

When I maxed my hp pool for the lynx boss I was running 250 spelldmg buffed. That seemed to do the trick. Otherwise I run around 390.
Tekkel

Postby s4m222 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:33 am

wizard oil adds +40 :D usually does the trick if u really need to do more tps :D

as long as dps gives you a 5-10 seconds head start.. and you pop wings/and judge whenever CD is up its usually okay especially if you have dps that can drop aggro :D
s4m222

Postby Stylaan » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:32 am

250-300 should be fine really. I run with 345 unbuffed and wizard oil up for ZA and I've never had problems even out-threating our shadowpriest on Nalorakk when I'm not actively tanking his current form.

It does help with picking up the dragonhawks with consecration though. I'm considering putting on more spell damage for that fight since I'm OTing hatchlings anyways, but so far I haven't had any problems with anything in ZA, I started it with about 200 spell damage and using LC Gavel before I got my Amani Punisher, though granted, I got it on our first ever kill of Akil'zon.
Stylaan

Postby Alienor » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:21 am

I usually have around 260 and didn't have any problems generating threat through the trash and first four bosses.
Alienor

Return to Zul'aman