Addon Rankwatch

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Addon Rankwatch

Postby vegardhv » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:02 am

I read about this, I think here, or at some other site. Anyway, I installed it, and it seems to be working.

Almost every random hc I'm doing it screams out - people seem to have the downranked spells on their spell bars all too often. And also in raids , especially 25 man raids. I'm not sure if the addon manages to pick up _all_ downranked spells being used.

In WG I met a level 80 paladin using consecration rank 1 :D

Is it rude to have this addon turned on ?

I must admit though, I haven't gotten many complaints, more thank yous than complaints. I installed it mainly because I thought some of my guildies performed lackluster dps - while having good gear, well enchanted and so forth.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Re: Addon Rankwatch

Postby Anorian » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:05 am

It depends how you approach the people that use the lower ranks, i'd be happy if someone pointed out a fail like that however not everyone takes it kindly:(
Anorian

Postby vegardhv » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:08 am

Well, the addon makes 3 whispers... where it says.. what rank they used, what is max rank, and that this usually happens when you switch specs. In addition it says in /say "blabla used downranked spell this and that". So addon takes care of everything.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Anorian » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:12 am

Well I wouldn't consider it rude, seems the whispers are pretty decent at pointing out that it usually happens on swapping spec and stuff. You're only helping after all.
Anorian

Postby cyphirx » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:01 am

I've taken to disabling the whispers and only pointing out if they're using downranked spells if they're having a tough time keeping up. I just like being aware of what's going on around me, so finding out if something was my doing or if it was related to something someone could be doing helps me in figuring out how to fix a problem.
cyphirx

Postby Njall » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:14 am

vegardhv wrote:Well, the addon makes 3 whispers... where it says.. what rank they used, what is max rank, and that this usually happens when you switch specs. In addition it says in /say "blabla used downranked spell this and that". So addon takes care of everything.

Assuming it does it right. I've been told that my pally was using a downranked Summon Insects. Later that week, I got a whisper that my DK was using a downranked Cleave.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Anorian wrote:Well I wouldn't consider it rude, seems the whispers are pretty decent at pointing out that it usually happens on swapping spec and stuff. You're only helping after all.

Nevertheless, some kids feel stupid when their mistakes are getting pointed out, and then they go all cornered-rat on you and start hurling invective. When I set this up I'm going to make it just tell me, and I'll decide based on my sense of the player's maturity level if I want to mention it or not. (I'm not going to try and educate a male night elf hunter whose name is Xxxslayirxxx.)
Arcand

Postby kysu » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:13 am

I've had this mod installed for about 2-3 weeks.... You have no idea how many people are being fail until you install this... I was just like ... Really?
kysu

Postby Roots » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:14 am

Njall wrote:
vegardhv wrote:Well, the addon makes 3 whispers... where it says.. what rank they used, what is max rank, and that this usually happens when you switch specs. In addition it says in /say "blabla used downranked spell this and that". So addon takes care of everything.

Assuming it does it right. I've been told that my pally was using a downranked Summon Insects. Later that week, I got a whisper that my DK was using a downranked Cleave.

No wonder my dks aoe is low. I don't even have Cleave mapped!
Roots

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:23 am

I was incredibly GRATEFUL that Invis had this installed. I faildpsed ToC25 yesterday (go go unenchanted green and blue ret gear D: D: D:) and it turned out my consecration rank on my ret bars was wrong. I would've happily carried on unless that thing had whispered the shit out of me.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby vegardhv » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:20 am

Roots wrote:
Njall wrote:

No wonder my dks aoe is low. I don't even have Cleave mapped!

Hm yeah I'm not sure it's 100 % correct at all times. It keeps bugging my resto shaman friend about using "frostbrand weapon" when healing. He claims he's not doing that so...
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Tybran » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:54 am

I've been using it forever and 90% of the time I've gotten a thank you.

10% of the time you run into a hunter with fantastic gear that will say "I know my dps sucks, stop whispering me!" and completely miss the point of the addon.
Tybran

Postby Pizbit » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:07 am

Tybran wrote:I've been using it forever and 90% of the time I've gotten a thank you.

Ditto, I run rankwatch with the explanation disabled, it's simply just too much text to start with.
I limit it to L80s only, not everyone trains every single level while leveling, in addition I have the wait period between repeat whispers set to 20 minutes which avoids whispering about the same spell twice in a heroic.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby vegardhv » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:14 am

Pizbit wrote:
Tybran wrote:I've been using it forever and 90% of the time I've gotten a thank you.

Ditto, I run rankwatch with the explanation disabled, it's simply just too much text to start with.
I limit it to L80s only, not everyone trains every single level while leveling, in addition I have the wait period between repeat whispers set to 20 minutes which avoids whispering about the same spell twice in a heroic.

Sounds like a plan. Reduce the spamming. I'll try that.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby jathitimus » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Ive had people completely ingore it, once I was with a hunter ina raid that procd a rankwatch alert each time the time limit was up for 2 hours. Ive had people thank me, most people seem greatful and if it starts to get to spammy I'll turn off the addon and just tell them they probly need to fix all their bars. Ive helped out friends and guildies many times, and atleast 75% of people are rather grateful to have the error pointed out.

On the other hand Ive had a handful of people get pissed off and tell me to mind my own bussiness. I had one guy tell me he could play however he wanted and that I couldnt tell him what to do. The worst was when a priest in a normal HoS run droped group immidiately after I whispered them and went off on a whisper rant about how they were disabled and the addon confused them how I had no right to send people confusing whispers, they were very angry and seemed rather irrational. I wasnt sure if that was funny or sad, I got a laugh at it but I turned off the addon for a few weeks, its back on now and I try to give a follow up to the addon spam to help people that dont know what spell rank is.

Ive been considering rewriting the whisper text it sends but its really hard to both discribe the problem, why it happens and what spell ranks are at the same time while only using a few lines of text.

Personally the addon saved my ass, I was healing lvl 70 dungeons with lvl 50 spells on my alt and It was so difficult to do that it was taking me about a month to get each lvl, after installing rankwatch and fixing my ranks I went from 76-80 in about a week becuase healing turned into a breeze :D. Seriously though if you want a challenge go try to heal HoS run at lvl 76 with a 74 dk tank in dps gear with lvl50 rank spells.....

EDIT : Ive started to preempt responses from people by blameing it on the action bar bug so they know Im not trying to make them look bad.

J whispers: Rankwatch blah blah blah
J party: hey looks like that dual spec bug messed with your spell ranks, you should try draging them off the spell book again.
Random party: dude wth .. ah ok thanks?
Alternate would be -
Random party: Dude I know what Im doing my main is in a top XXX you havent even seen the lich king noob gtfo
*you have been removed from party*
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
jathitimus

Next

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros