Missing the Memo

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Missing the Memo

Postby Ljtibs » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:09 am

Kelaan wrote:
amh wrote:he had not trained anything outside of the holy-category. He just assumed that it had nothing to do with him, since he was holy. I've often looked back and wondered how the hell he got to level 70.

I don't understand this. Laziness compels me to spam the "train" button at the trainer until it is un-clickable.

Then again, when low level and broke I know there were some points (40?) where choosing riding training versus skillups was a balancing act, but ... thse days' gathering mats prices are so high, that should be rare.

My huntard friend (RL Friend) got to 70 with a lot of help from me and my other RL friends.

We did a hShattered halls one day, our tank was an in game friend who used to play a hunter. We finish off Shattered halls, and had to run back out. He asked on vent "Hey Teq can you turn on pack"... My friend said "Sorry Mang, I never trained that spell"...

A few weeks later the huntard went on vacation and gave his info to one of my RL friends. He spent 2 mins spamming train at the hunter trainer.... I really wish he had frapsed this...

This is not an uncommon occurrence. There are a lot of players who are either new to MMO and don't know wtf they are doing, or not power players and think they should save the gold...
Ljtibs

Postby Hokahey » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:12 am

Kelaan wrote:
amh wrote:he had not trained anything outside of the holy-category. He just assumed that it had nothing to do with him, since he was holy. I've often looked back and wondered how the hell he got to level 70.

I don't understand this. Laziness compels me to spam the "train" button at the trainer until it is un-clickable.

Then again, when low level and broke I know there were some points (40?) where choosing riding training versus skillups was a balancing act, but ... thse days' gathering mats prices are so high, that should be rare.

Both relevant to the thread and the statement, I didn't even *know* there was such a thing as an AH until I was past lvl 40 on my first character. I had LW and Enchanting as professions. I didn't get Riding until lvl 59... :oops:

Then again, I never missed training a spell, even if it meant going to grind mobs until I had the gold to train it, and coming back.
Hokahey

Postby Shathus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:29 am

This was during 3.2 I believe, so we had been clearing at least ToC 10, and had gone back into Uld10 to do some hard modes. Had just gotten down Freya+3 and were moving on to Firefighter. After a wipe or two, we were going over the CD rotation for the plasma blasts. I told the MT (who has been MTing for the guild since Wrath came out, and really since later in BC as well) to just bubble through the first one. He responds with something along the lines of "but I'll drop aggro and we'll all die". I finally figure out what's going on, and start beating my head on the desk, that he's had a 50% dmg reduction cooldown for 3 tiers of content and didn't know about it.

We make the next pull with his comment of "we're still probably gonna die when I lose aggro", I bet him 500g we wouldn't (due to that), though he never accepted my wager :)
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Harlequina » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Awesome thread everyone, great read, though can't think of anything myself... Atleast not yet.
Harlequina

Postby culhag » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:14 pm

I just told my worrior co-tank (who's been tanking since mid-BC) that taunts use the spell hit table. :roll:
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Pizbit » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:10 pm

amh wrote:I had to disable Rankwatch after being called an elitist jerk. Ignorance is bliss, eh? :)

Heh indeed, most people just stay quiet after it whispers them however good number say thanks too!
I disabled the 'explain' part of the mod since that was far too damned spammy and just manually say 'probably due to dual spec, compare action bars to spell book and trainer'.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby d503 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:23 pm

I'm a guild leader, so I talk alot...therefore have more chances of making an ass out of myself than most people.

Anytime I "miss the memo," the first thing that's said is, "Did you know they added agility to Strength of Earth totem?!" in a really excited voice, dripping with sarcasm.

This is mostly because I said it pretty much exactly the same way nearly 3 months after that happened...

FML :)
d503

Postby Njall » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:30 pm

PsiVen wrote:So, I just realized today that patch 3.1 removed the innkeeper functionality from the quartermaster in Crusader's Pinnacle. That means I've been hearthing to a ghost inn every day for 10 months. And it's still the best bind point in the game, just outside the lag range of Dalaran which is 5 seconds of drop-in flight away.

We have a running joke around here about someone who just noticed a month ago that mounts were 1.5 second casts.

What have you guys missed the memo on?

Yeah, that annoyed me. I swapped the hearthstone for a bit and then couldn't switch it back. On the other hand, I can now ride my mount out of the Cave of Spirits in Thunderbluff. I am sure the mechanohog doesn't disturb those priests and 'locks and stuff in the least.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby phaqueue » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:25 pm

The floor in VOA...

I had stopped raiding VOA for a while because I didn't need anything from there, so the other day I went to run the new boss, and went "holy shit - they changed the floor! this is awesome!"

most people weren't as amazed as I was... apparently it happened a while ago...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby rodos » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:46 pm

phaqueue wrote:The floor in VOA...

I had stopped raiding VOA for a while because I didn't need anything from there, so the other day I went to run the new boss, and went "holy shit - they changed the floor! this is awesome!"

most people weren't as amazed as I was... apparently it happened a while ago...

You mean on Koralon, how you can now actually see the flame patches? Awesome, isn't it?

Also, on the DS/DP (bubblewall) changes that came in with BC, I think Blizzard are largely to blame here. A lot of players don't read forums and blogs, and shouldn't need to do so in order to play at a decent level. The patch notes are often long, inaccurate, and very matter-of-fact. Better would be to have a "What's new" button, tailored to each class, available in game. Click this, and you get a short write-up of recent mechanic changes.

"Divine Protection is no longer a shorter duration version of Divine Shield. By reducing 50% of incoming damage without dropping any threat, this spell has become a powerful survival ability for Paladin tanks."

How hard would that be?
rodos

Postby PsiVen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:33 am

Judging by the inexplicable delays and inaccuracies present in many patch notes... Almost impossible. One can dream, though. It sounds like something Blizzard would do.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Awyndel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:58 am

I think about 6 months into the game, the rng loading tooltips finally told me that alt+up would repeat the last few sentences in chat...

How will I ever spam trade when lfg without it :P
Awyndel

Postby halabar » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:07 am

Awyndel wrote:I think about 6 months into the game, the rng loading tooltips finally told me that alt+up would repeat the last few sentences in chat...

How will I ever spam trade when lfg without it :P

whaaa?..... you mean...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby rathe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:08 am

Our holy paladin was excited that he picked up a two handed axe and upped his weapon skill so he could use it to DPS on Arthas. I said "well you'll want the SP for your holy shock, consecrate, judgements to do the fighting plus most importantly you'll want a shield on to use Shield of Righteousness". To which he replies "I'm holy I don't have that". 5 minutes of smack talk and defending his not training it and laughing later he went to go train it.
Snake-Aes wrote:Well... sometimes being obnoxious works.
http://us.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&cn=Bloodrathe&gn=Nidh%C3%B6gg
rathe
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:37 am

Wait, does alt+up do the same thing as enter+up+enter?
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

PreviousNext

Return to General