Red, Agi or str?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Red, Agi or str?

Postby Delphineas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:19 pm

Granted, sticky says agi always.

However, My guild is a 10 man guild. People aren't motivated enough to show up for 25 mans. Typically, my runs I get to go in have no disc priest, nor do we use drums of kings.
Edit:I am the lone paladin.

Thus, my question is this:Assuming sanct and no kings, how close are the benefits of agility Vs Strength?
Fan of angels and catgirls.
Current MMO: EVE
Delphineas

Re: Red, Agi or str?

Postby blakk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:42 pm

agility gives armor, dodge, and crit
strength gives block value, ap, sp(through talents)

for threat, strength
for eh, agility
blakk

Postby bashef » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:17 am

Even in a 10 man, leatherworkers can do Drums of Forgotten Kings for 8% stats. Do you not have a leatherworker in your 10 mans either? Assuming you do, the benefits of the Agi/stam gem are almost identical to posting.

In any case, regardless of which buffs are available, agility and strength provide fundamentally different stats. Strength is almost entirely threat (tiny benefit to block value) whereas agi is a survivability gem, combining a little armour and a fair amount of dodge. Put strength gems in threat gear (if you have it), agi in everything else.
bashef

Postby lythac » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:37 am

You don't have to be a LW to use drums. Each charge costs around 60-70 silver if you buy mats from AH.

Edit - not sure if BoS still overwrites it.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Yelena » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Sanctuary and Drums of Forgotten Kings stack. The stamina/strength from Sanctuary takes precedence over the drums, but the remaining stat multiplication from the drums works just fine with Sanct also buffed.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby Gamingdevil » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:25 pm

Yelena wrote:Sanctuary and Drums of Forgotten Kings stack. The stamina/strength from Sanctuary takes precedence over the drums, but the remaining stat multiplication from the drums works just fine with Sanct also buffed.

Lies, I lose stamina with drums up.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby bldavis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:52 pm

Gamingdevil wrote:
Yelena wrote:Sanctuary and Drums of Forgotten Kings stack. The stamina/strength from Sanctuary takes precedence over the drums, but the remaining stat multiplication from the drums works just fine with Sanct also buffed.

Lies, I lose stamina with drums up.

thats why you do sanc and then drums

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:25 pm

You still lsoe the stam that way. It's always been like that, Drums overwrites Sanc.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Yelena » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:44 pm

I hadn't noticed honestly. But then again the only times I've been in a raid that resorted to using drums was for Herald of the Titans and Dedicated Insanity, in both cases I'm wearing very different sets of gear than my normal set.

Either way, if people feel that 2% stamina is going to be the make or break point between a kill and a horrible/painful/pathetic/amusing wipe, click the drums off. :P
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby Enkal » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:52 am

KysenMurrin wrote:You still lsoe the stam that way. It's always been like that, Drums overwrites Sanc.

I only noticed the stamina loss if I'm the one using the drum, if someone else does the drum and I do sanct I keep it.
Enkal

Postby Ironhaart » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:57 am

Enkal wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:You still lsoe the stam that way. It's always been like that, Drums overwrites Sanc.

I only noticed the stamina loss if I'm the one using the drum, if someone else does the drum and I do sanct I keep it.

Our mage uses the drums when our Holydin fails to show, I click it off and my health rises.

Trust me.

Over-aggroing the Tank is like a drunken one-night stand. Fun at the time, then everything goes black and you wake up feeling uncomfortable, resented, and ultimately a little embarrassed by your performance.
Ironhaart

Postby Diocaska » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:01 am

While all content is still not on farm, I'd say Agility, for the dodge and armour component.

When all content is on farm, I'd say Strength, for the threat component.

Thought it'd be more worthwhile having multiple sets, and using Agility in your EH set, and Strength in your threat pieces.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby Kelaan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:31 am

bashef wrote:Even in a 10 man, leatherworkers can do Drums of Forgotten Kings for 8% stats. Do you not have a leatherworker in your 10 mans either? Assuming you do, the benefits of the Agi/stam gem are almost identical to posting.

Kings is pretty negligible versus Sanctuary.

I have ~221 agility in my tanking gear, using an agility-based threat weapon. Raid buffed I might get to 300. Kings would give me 30 agility: It's a bit of threat, a small amount of dodge, and about 60 extra armor.

Sure, every bit helps. But 60 armor out of 32k is pretty small. Having it is better than not, but I doubt you're going to ever notice it. Assume you won't get kings, and base your planning on that. (You can give Kings to the raid, and let totems / battle shout cover the other buffs.)

Gemming for agility is almost as good, threat-wise, as str, and is also better than dodge for damage reduction. Gem str if you need threat, agi if you don't.
Kelaan

Postby blakk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Kelaan wrote:
bashef wrote:Even in a 10 man, leatherworkers can do Drums of Forgotten Kings for 8% stats. Do you not have a leatherworker in your 10 mans either? Assuming you do, the benefits of the Agi/stam gem are almost identical to posting.

Kings is pretty negligible versus Sanctuary.

I have ~221 agility in my tanking gear, using an agility-based threat weapon. Raid buffed I might get to 300. Kings would give me 30 agility: It's a bit of threat, a small amount of dodge, and about 60 extra armor.

Sure, every bit helps. But 60 armor out of 32k is pretty small. Having it is better than not, but I doubt you're going to ever notice it. Assume you won't get kings, and base your planning on that. (You can give Kings to the raid, and let totems / battle shout cover the other buffs.)

Gemming for agility is almost as good, threat-wise, as str, and is also better than dodge for damage reduction. Gem str if you need threat, agi if you don't.

agility is no where even close to strength for threat Image
blakk

Postby Awyndel » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:02 am

Tbh, if I wasn't at the expertise soft cap, I would be putting exp/stam in my red socket for the meta. It's more threat then str at that point, and potentially avoidance.
Awyndel

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations