Remove Advertisements

3.3 Talent Spec & Glyph Guide

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: 3.3 Talent Spec Guide

Postby Njall » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:17 am

theckhd wrote:
Njall wrote:And yes, I'll get the damned Glyph of Cleave as soon as I remember.

I wouldn't bother with the glyph unless you're running into mana problems. I'm usually too lazy to replace the SoV glyph every time I switch seals, but if I was going to bother I'd probably replace it with Judgement.

Ah, good to know. My laziness serves a higher purpose: saving me money.

Njall wrote:Didn't take any Reckoning as I wanted to keep my RaidWall. Wast that wise?

That's how I spec for progression. I only take Reckoning if I know I won't be raiding for a solid chunk of time and will thus only be doing heroics (like over the holiday break).

Yeah. I don't use the raid-wall as often as I should though. I'm only a middling fair tank but I seem to end up in a raid 2-3x per week, at least one of them progression (at least for me).
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Zitt » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:33 am

Tried asking this one the WoW forums got no responses, should I respecc and take the 7 points I have in Ret and fill out my Prot tree before any in Ret? I have the judgements and dodge talents in Ret. Seems to me I would want to keep them even at this low level.

Oh, btw...level 42, oops dinged last night in maraudon, 43.

Link:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ank&n=Zitt
Zitt

Postby theckhd » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:47 am

Zitt wrote:Tried asking this one the WoW forums got no responses, should I respecc and take the 7 points I have in Ret and fill out my Prot tree before any in Ret? I have the judgements and dodge talents in Ret. Seems to me I would want to keep them even at this low level.

Oh, btw...level 42, oops dinged last night in maraudon, 43.

This is probably worth posting a new thread about, as this guide is focused on lvl 80 spec choices. I'm not sure how useful my advice will be, since I leveled 1-60 as ret (back when combat was "seal, judge, seal, auto-attack for 8 seconds, judge, seal, auto-attack for 8 seconds"), 60-70 as Holy (yes, Holy), and only went 70-80 as prot.

If i were speccing to tank at 42, I'd probably go with something like this:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0xA0uGGo

Getting to Improved Judgement in Ret would be nice, since it lowers the cooldown on one of your only proactive threat abilities. But it cuts you out of tiers 6 and 7 of prot, which is where you really start getting to the meaty stuff. By taking Imp. Judg. at that level, you lose out on:
Sacred Duty (more stam - better survivability)
One Handed Weapon Spec (excellent threat talent - better threat)
Holy Shield (passive threat and more blocking - survivability and threat)
Spiritual Attunement (mana regen to let you keep casting Consecrate - better threat)
Ardent Defender (1up and damage reduction - better survivability)

I'm not sure how mana regen is at the low levels where you only have BoSanc - if you're going OOM tanking then pick up Spiritual Attunement, if not you could shift them into Ardent Defender for the 1up.

Again, not sure whether this is good advice, since I've never tried it myself.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Chicken » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:45 pm

Not sure if Ardent Defender's one-up would work that well. Remember that it's healing depends on how close to the defense minimum you are.
Chicken

Postby Thels » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:47 am

Keep in mind that even if Ardent Defender heals you for the smallest bit, it still makes you not die. Having 1 hp is a lot better than having 0 hp. Do make sure you're wearing at least one +defense item somewhere to get the heal. In addition, Ardent Defender also provides damage reduction, which can be nice if your healer is slacking a bit.

I agree with Theck. The talents in Prot are more useful to you than the ones in Ret. You don't really need that 5% avoidance, and you can't really 96969 until 75 anyhow, so there's no real purpose in going to Judgement fast.

Simply follow the core protection build, taking Reckoning over DS/DG, and taking a 2nd point in Spiritual attunement.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Kaasa » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:02 am

Hm...

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAMugusIufdts0zb:pNG

What do you guys think of this spec? I will try this at tonights raid with 5/5 Reckoning and SoC for trash and see how it turns out. Would be fun to see on the trash before rotface/fester/proffesor.
Kaasa
<Ronín>
Level 80
Protection Paladin
Darksorrow (EU)
Kaasa

Postby Levantine » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:58 am

Cookie Cutter 53/18 will have higher tps.
Levantine

Postby theckhd » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:17 am

Kaasa wrote:Hm...

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAMugusIufdts0zb:pNG

What do you guys think of this spec? I will try this at tonights raid with 5/5 Reckoning and SoC for trash and see how it turns out. Would be fun to see on the trash before rotface/fester/proffesor.

The last two points in Reckoning won't make up for the loss of Crusade, and Hammer of Justice is mostly useless on the trash clears anyway.

I have my second spec set up like this for trash clears and heroics. Holy Wrath every 15 seconds covers basically anything you'd want Hammer for anyway, and 3/5 Reckoning should give you almost as much uptime as 5/5 with a full trash group wailing on you.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Ashtoroth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Threat MT Spec - This is what I'm currently using after respeccing out of Divine Guardian(enough holy pallies in our raids that I no longer have to sacred shield myself ever and I find DG isnt worth having the points into on icc25 reg, prolly gonna spec back into it for heroic, but for now its worthless to me) and Vindication(4 Rets on our raids!!) - The 3 points in reckoning gave me a significant tps boost(its procs a LOT, even on bossfights) and I've never had an issue with the "you might get parried" warnings I heard from other tankadins in regards to reckoning.
Ashtoroth

Postby yappo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:46 am

I levelled a second protadin last spring to late November in order to know what I was doing when writing a few guides here on maintankadin.

Just run as deep and fast as humanly possible down the prot-tree, including skipping mandatory talents whenever doing so allows you to go deeper.

Most people either solo or dungeon their way from Outland to 80. I was the soloing kind. The few times I ran a dungeon pre-Divine Plea I quickly learned that 2/2 SA is NOT optional.

Levelling specs also become pretty pointless if the matter of glyphing is forgotten. Basically, whenever you learn a NEW talent it's time to make a reality-check on the available tanking-glyphs. You'll reglyph a surprisingly large number of times.
yappo

Postby Kaory » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:45 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdts0x0c:jG0
I'm currently using this build as MT on all events, everywhere, exept tanking Anub's adds.
Have no problems with threat at all. Using DS very often without canceling debuff.
Kaory

Postby blkthunder » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:23 pm

theckhd wrote:FYI, I just checked and Divine Guardian does indead remain if you right click off Divine Sacrifice.

However, my macro wasn't successfully removing DSac itself with /cancelaura.

The best I was able to come up with so far is:
Code: Select all
#show
/cast Divine Sacrifice
/in 0.5 /script CancelUnitBuff("player","Divine Sacrifice")

Which cancels Divine Sac half a second after you cast it. I wasn't able to get it working for /in 0.2, so my guess is that the lower limit will be your server latency, since mine hovers around 300ms.

Maybe im just late here, but whats wrong with ye olde Divine Shield macro template?

/cancleaura divine sacrifice
/cast divine sacrifice
.............................Do not go gentle into that good night.............................
...........................Rage, rage against the dying of the light...........................
blkthunder

Postby theckhd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:55 am

blkthunder wrote:Maybe im just late here, but whats wrong with ye olde Divine Shield macro template?

/cancleaura divine sacrifice
/cast divine sacrifice

Nothing in particular. The only advantage to the /in macro is that you only have to press it once, rather than mashing it a few times to make sure the /cancelaura goes through. However, lately I've just been leaving DS up for the extra redirect. Use whichever you prefer.

Also, the guide has been updated with a Glyph section.
theckhd

Postby theckhd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:57 am

Kaory wrote:http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdts0x0c:jG0
I'm currently using this build as MT on all events, everywhere, exept tanking Anub's adds.
Have no problems with threat at all. Using DS very often without canceling debuff.

<edit> Ignore this comment, was looking at the wrong talent build when I posted it.

There's no point in speccing Conviction in that build. Seals of the Pure would be more net DPS/TPS.

I'd still recommend picking up Vindication, PoJ, and SoCom instead of either SotP or Conviction though.
Last edited by theckhd on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theckhd

Postby Kaory » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:27 am

theckhd wrote:There's no point in speccing Conviction in that build. Seals of the Pure would be more net DPS/TPS.

I'd still recommend picking up Vindication, PoJ, and SoCom instead of either SotP or Conviction though.

I dont need Vindication, cuz i have 1-2 retpalas with that. I dont feel i need SoCom, cuz I can hold aggro without it and think that SoCom is wasted talent. I also have no problems with running speed.
So, what better Crusade or SotP. I dont know, now. But I like my build.
Kaory

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents