[10/25] Valithria Dreamwalker

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10/25] Valithria Dreamwalker

Postby Sathoris » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:51 am

As the title says: Discuss about Valithria Dreamwalker Encounter.

From the quick glance on the PTR Movies I noticed this is basically an Add Tank fight, so here goes my Q for the US players who get to fight this boss:

- How important Block gear will be for this fight ?
- What's the ratio of Caster Adds / Melee Adds ?
- Does it require add kiting as Lady Deathwhisper ?

I will experience this myself tomorrow when it will release on EU realms but I wanted to see if I can get a head's up regarding this.
Sathoris

Re: [10/25] Valithria Dreamwalker

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:24 am

#1 It is good to start post like this, but there are plenty of other sources that you should have checked by now to know mostly all of the things that you have asked.

#2 The real questions are going to be answered after people have started doing this. I presume that this will be a very simple encounter in 25 man as there is no enrage you have infinite mana on your healz.

#3 The Questions

1. Do adds come from both sides at a time?
2. On 10 man is it necessary to have to tanks? Or can one do the job because that would be bomb to go holy for that fight.
3. What are peoples views on how many heals and how many dps to bring? Or have respec just to make the fight simpler. I mean you could do this with as little healz as you want almost as long as you have enough to keep raid up it seems like one healer could heal the 30 million or whatever it is eventually w/out causing a whipe. All of this is of course just based on knowledge from videos/ mmo/ PTR such.

I really hope 10 man is solo tankable cause I want to pump out some holy lights sooo bad.

Postby dewkstraykr » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:09 am

2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:#1 It is good to start post like this, but there are plenty of other sources that you should have checked by now to know mostly all of the things that you have asked.

#3 The Questions

1. Do adds come from both sides at a time?
2. On 10 man is it necessary to have to tanks? Or can one do the job because that would be bomb to go holy for that fight.
3. What are peoples views on how many heals and how many dps to bring? Or have respec just to make the fight simpler. I mean you could do this with as little healz as you want almost as long as you have enough to keep raid up it seems like one healer could heal the 30 million or whatever it is eventually w/out causing a whipe. All of this is of course just based on knowledge from videos/ mmo/ PTR such.

I really hope 10 man is solo tankable cause I want to pump out some holy lights sooo bad.

1. Your first sentence answers question number 1 :p Yes, both sides in 25.
2. Better to have two than 1.
3. In 25 you want about 7-8 healers. 2 per tank, 1 for raid (optional 1 each side for raid if bad at moving from aoe) 2 full time on boss (ideally paladins)

Priests should all be holy, and co-ordinate and chain Guardian spirit on the boss with the holy paladins to get maximum cooldown spammed Holy lights on it while GS is active.
dewkstraykr

Postby Sathoris » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:44 am

dewkstraykr wrote:Priests should all be holy, and co-ordinate and chain Guardian spirit on the boss with the holy paladins to get maximum cooldown spammed Holy lights on it while GS is active.

I can see the importance of Glyph of Guardian Spirit in this fight.

Good point with Chaining GS on the Boss.
Sathoris

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:51 am

Im kind of hoping that on 10 man though like adds come from just one side at a time. I never heal and I just put together this awesome set, and I'm just really excited about getting to sit there and spam holy light. I know I'll get to in 25 man since I'm the MT currently, and we have a feral druid who is always tanking w/ me and a DK who only tanks when 3 tanks are needed. So gonna make those two tank and me heal. Totally going to be awesome.

I just think in 10 man it'll be hella cool to have one tank and me go holy and end up w/ four healz. Also although it would make the fight go quicker I really wouldn't make all priest go holy unless like it was their duel spec. Like I said no enrage no need to get it done all that much faster, plus those clouds will be making people heal for a certain percent more anyways.

Postby Passionario » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:10 am

dewkstraykr wrote:2 full time on boss (ideally paladins)

Speaking of which, is she still Beaconable?
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Soranthalas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:43 am

Passionario wrote:
dewkstraykr wrote:2 full time on boss (ideally paladins)

Speaking of which, is she still Beaconable?

Negative, according to Stratfu. But you can Beacon the tanks and heal Val.
Soranthalas

Postby dewkstraykr » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:44 am

2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:Like I said no enrage no need to get it done all that much faster, plus those clouds will be making people heal for a certain percent more anyways.

The adds come faster and faster the longer the fight goes on. It is a soft enrage type mechanic, in that after a few minutes they will be coming out so fast that you will get overrun.

So yes, The more you can co-ordinate heals and maximize dps output to the correct adds in order, the easier the fight will get.
dewkstraykr

Postby Joanadark » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:57 am

-You cannot chain Guardian Spirits on her any more. There is a 1 minute cooldown on placing a Guardian Spirit on the boss.
-While there is no hard enrage, the add waves come faster and faster over time, creating a soft enrage where you get overwhelmed eventually.
-You CAN beacon her. She counts as a friendly member of your raid. There was an interesting bug on PTR where when you buffed warriors she would inadvertently get buffed as well, resulting in accidentally increasing her max HP if you weren't careful. Putting kings and fort on the boss was especially brutal.
-The adds that channel the debuff on the boss can be slowed, resulting in them taking longer to reach the boss and begin channeling their debuff, resulting in a longer time to DPS them.
-The boss gets hit by hostile abilities of the adds too. Absorbtion effects on the boss will help just as much as healing throughput.
-HYBRID DPSERS CAN HEAL TOO! AND CLEANSE!
-DONT FORGET TO TANK THE MAGGOTS!
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Ciremo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:27 pm

I had an idea.

I noticed that the Emerald Vigor buff that you get from killing Dream Clouds stack upp to 100. While it's possible the timer doesn't reset when you get a new stack, you still should be able to get a few of them running. Combine this with a 55k+ tank using Lay on Hands on the "boss" with Guardian Spirit and Avenging Wrath up.

It very well may be so that you're unable to get enough stack to make this worthwile, or even that those stacks are better spent on healers, but I figured I'd point it out at least.
Ciremo

Postby Joanadark » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:36 pm

Yes you are supposed to have healers "roll" their stacks from one portal to the next to the next, eventually culminating in popping heroism, GS'ing the boss, blowing cooldowns and spellpower trinkets, drinking a potion, and nuking healing.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:04 am

So bosskillers says 10 man is a one tank fight? confirm/ deny?

Postby Heni » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:41 am

2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:So bosskillers says 10 man is a one tank fight? confirm/ deny?

2 tank imo, rly easy with 2 since they come from both sides. Was extremely simplistic to 2 tank it one on each side.
Heni

Postby rocket » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:23 am

re:10 man 1 tank
go with 2 tanks
i specced holy to attempt to 1 tank it, and with the near continuous adds from both sides, our single (druid) tank got easily overwhelmed.

like the above poster stated, with 2 tanks (i was in my tank-ps gear) the adds were easily cleared between the waves, except for the apparent larger volume during the last minute of the fight when his hp is almost to 100%.

as someone mentioned the notable tanked guy was the blazing one, the rest are just nuisances. the suppressors are important to dps down quick, and in 10 they spawned 4 at a time, distributed randomly on either side.
rocket
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:27 am

Killed this (25 man) in 3 attempts. Couple tips.

1. Make sure you have a mana pot handy. On one attempt I got sucked dry.
2. Make sure rogues use tricks on the worms. They are quite deadly to the raid.
3. DPS plate can mostly handle the frost caster mob. I was just ranged taunting when I could to spare them some damage while tanking something else.
4. Helps to tank your mobs in the center area between the two doorways on your side.
5. Don't forget to watch your feet for the thing that shoots you in the air.
6. Get comfortable with which mobs should be tanked and which shouldn't.

In general, this isn't hard but it's definitely more work than most bosses since it's constant add pickup as opposed to tank and spank.

I should note that while we made it look fairly easy on mains. We went back in on our alts in order to try and get practice shots on the limited boss and we failed somewhat miserably (didn't get her higher than 70%). There is most certainly a gear/play check here.

I'll post a video of our kill when it's uploaded but it's probably quite boring to look at.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to T10: Icecrown Citadel