Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Postby Morlin » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:45 pm

<3 this post. Been waiting for something like this for a long, long time. I'll be coming back to this one quite often. :D
Morlin

Postby Greddy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:47 pm

3100 Block Value (no more than this, its wasted Itemization)

Why 3100 Block value?

And not 2760 BV?

Have I missed something?
Greddy

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:02 pm

Your block value stops contributing to ShoR damage not when your block value is at 34.5 times your level, but when the diminished damage it contributes reaches that level. The actual block value number where it stops adding damage is around 3100.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flitter » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:00 pm

Wrathy wrote:The Basics of a Chill of the Throne set -
540 Defense
Stamina Stack
Bonus Armor when possible
Ensure Double Stamina trinkets

So, after searching through the first loot lists I came up with:

Head: itemlvl 264 standard armor 2145
Neck: Bile-Encrusted Medallion (Rotface (normal 25))
Shoulders: itemlvl 264 standard armor 1980
Cloak: Sentinel's Winter Cloak (50 emblems of frost)
Chest: Cataclysmic Chestguard (95 emblems of frost)
Bracer: Gargoyle Spit Bracers (Deathbringer Saurfang (heroic 10))
Hands: Gauntlets of the Kraken (60 emblems of frost)
Waist Verdigris Chain Belt (60 emblems of frost)
Legs: Pillars of Might (crafted)
Boots: itemlvl 264 standard armor 1815
Rings: Ashen Band of Endless Courage (Ashen Verdict - exalted) and Devium's Eternally Cold Ring (Cache of the Dreamwalker (normal 25))
Trinkets: Sindragosa's Flawless Fang (Sindragosa (normal 25)) and Corroded Skeleton Key (60 emblems of frost)

Shield: itemlvl 264 standard armor 8873
Weapon: none with bonus armor so far

This itemlvl 264 set will leave us with two T10 pieces (namely head and shoulders) and the boots without bonus armor. According to Rawr, fully gemed and enchanted, this set will get us nearly 35k armor, a 2400 bonus armor proc on the reputation ring, over 49k life and around 29% dodge and 21% parry fully unbufft (and undebufft).
Flitter

Postby Wrathy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:58 am

Flitter wrote:This itemlvl 264 set will leave us with two T10 pieces (namely head and shoulders) and the boots without bonus armor. According to Rawr, fully gemed and enchanted, this set will get us nearly 35k armor, a 2400 bonus armor proc on the reputation ring, over 49k life and around 29% dodge and 21% parry fully unbufft (and undebufft).

Bonus armor is not everything, and I guess I should update this a bit with the new findings about Shield of Righteousness, but you basically need to hit the expertise soft cap, and the T10 pants are something that will be a huge chunk of that. I can put together a theoretical set if you would like, but I like to keep this as general as possible, so people of every gear level, 10 and 25 man raiders alike, can use it as a guideline to assemble gear sets.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Flitter » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:57 pm

Of course you won't wear this set for every boss exactly like that, but regarding the expertise soft cap, with glyphed seal of vengeance, the bonus armor chest alone will net you the required 26 expertise.
Flitter

Postby Wrathy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:30 am

I'm working on a Bonus Armor Set description as well, however it seems to fall into the lines of the Effective Health gear set. As we continue to progress through ICC, it is pretty obvious that bonus armor will be very powerful. There are some fights with sporadic magic damage, but the vast majority of damage is physical. To top that off, the bonus armor pieces almost always have as much stamina as the T10 pieces.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Moonkid » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:17 pm

I notice there's no avoidance set listed here. Is the avoidance set dead these days?
Moonkid

Postby Wrathy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:39 pm

Moonkid wrote:I notice there's no avoidance set listed here. Is the avoidance set dead these days?

Avoidance is not dead by any means, however there has been extensive discussion on the merits of avoidance versus mitigation and effective health. Because of the size of hits that we normally take in ToTGC and ICC, stacking avoidance for most fights will provide a significant increase in the amount of unpredictable damage spikes which you will take. With that being said, I still have an Avoidance Set, and the general principals are listed under the Balanced or Overall set. This is the set that strives to maximize avoidance with out sacrificing survival. If you are looking for maximum avoidance, you would follow the guidelines of the Overall set, and replace the trinkets with avoidance trinkets, as well as gemming for set bonuses using defense/stam or agi/stam gems.

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Moonkid » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I was mainly curious how avoidance fit into the equation with all the talk about armmor/stamina being king for ICC. Also, I haven't been able to think of a fight where an avoidance set would be the best set to use, though I'm a little clueless about how that's decided. (This may be a little off-topic for this thread, but I'm just trying to understand the merits of this set.)
Moonkid

Postby blkthunder » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:18 pm

WTF is the "Rival" set?

I want my money back.
.............................Do not go gentle into that good night.............................
...........................Rage, rage against the dying of the light...........................
blkthunder

Postby Kaelandros » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:14 am

Wrathy wrote:The Unhittable set -

A set that is purely a gimmick set used for the Heroic Anub'arak encounter in 25 man Trial of the Grand Crusade. This set strives to mitigate damage done by the Nerubian Burrowers by ensuring that you are PASSIVELY unhittable and that your block value is as high as possible. The specifics of how the damage is dished out to you is as follows:

If you have a Nerubian Burrowerer hitting you for 4500 damage and you block 4000 of it, you take 500 damage. Now usually the way that the stacking debuf mechanic would work is that when you have 9 debufs, the mob would be hitting you for 4500*325% or 14,625. After blocking your 4000, you would be taking a 10,125 hit. However since the debuf is applied to you and YOUR damage TAKEN, you are only taking your unblocked damage (4500-4000) plus the modifier or 500*325% or 1,625 damage. The power of block value is immense on this fight. The amount of block value you have is critical in your ability to mitigate the damage. Now seeing as I am still on Twins in ToTGC, I cannot for certain say how much that the adds hit for, however when you are taking multiple adds, it is imperative to understand that the more block value you have, the significantly less damage you will take, and the easier it will be on your healers.

The goal of this set is to achieve 101.5% combined dodge, block, parry, and miss percentages so that you do not rely on holy shield to block every incoming hit. You can do this by stacking defense, dodge, parry, and block rating. The key to this set is the fact that block rating does not suffer diminishing returns like the other stats. If this is accomplished, your next goal is to have as much block value as possible so that you can mitigate incoming damage prior to the multiplicative buff. This set is very specific in its gearing, and there are a few ways to do it, however for the sake of simplicity I will list out the initial set that I created when pushing Anub'arak:

My gear set is Comprised of the following pieces of gear – T8 Helm and Shoulders, Necklace of Unerring Mettle, Shadow of the Ghoul, Tier 7 Chest, Bindings of the Hapless Prey, Handguards of the Enclave, Dragonslayer’s Brace, T9 legs, Inexorable Sabatons, Band of the Traitor King, Signet of the Earthshaker, the ony trinket and the Lavanthor's Talisman. Everything is gemmed with defense, except two gems to satisfy the meta. Everything is enchanted with Defense or Agility (where no defense enchant is available). This set also requires the use of elixirs over a flask. You should use the defense and agility elixirs and agility food to push you over the top.

The Basics of an Unhittable Set -
101.5% Combined Dodge, Block, Parry, Miss
Stack Block Value

The Gems and Enchants Specific to an Unhittable Set -
Gem for Defense, Defense, Defense (with a Nightmare Tear and a Defense / Avoidance orange gem for the meta)
Eternal Earthsiege Diamond
Agility to weapon
Block Rating to Shield

My guild is heading into ToGC soon and so I've been trying to research the gimmick block set so that I'm prepared ahead of time. I have to say though that the math here is becoming my wall. I'm not sure where you're getting the 'miss' number from. Or how you factor in all the buffs. I've been able to piece together two sets, the first based on my own intuition, and the second slightly tweaked from your set. In both cases I seem to be stuck in the ~80% block/dodge/parry range and I wasn't hoping you can explain a bit where the rest is coming from. I'd like to understand what I'm missing.

Block Set 1 - http://www.wowhead.com/?profile=20758686

Block Set 2 - http://www.wowhead.com/?profile=20761292
Kaelandros

Postby Theolol » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks for building this post, it's a useful reference to peruse and well written to boot! I'd like to discuss gemming and enchanting for the non block-centered sets in further detail.

Wrathy wrote:Armor on the other hand is a commonly overlooked statistic that is essential to your effective heath set, and it is something that you should strive to enhance any chance you get. Armor reduces the amount of physical damage that you take no matter what happens. You can be stunned, hit from behind, etc and you will still mitigate damage based on your armor. The last stat that will help you mitigate incoming physical damage is shield block value.

On your EH and ICC sets you did not mention a shield enchant, I would imagine that that's because they are a less clearer choice than block is for the other sets. In my own personal use, I tend to prefer the highest itemization, for example by having some Hit/Sta gems in yellow sockets with Sta bonuses. This goes along with what Theck said:

theckhd wrote:Anyway, the point is that the Holistic approach actually makes the average ilvl of your gear higher, by giving you more net itemization points worth of stats. In that sense, matching gem sockets is the most "efficient" method of gemming in the same way that choosing the 20 defense shield enchant is more efficient than the 18 stam enchant (20 ipoints worth of stats vs. 12).

1. How exactly would 18 Sta or 20 Defense to shield compare, for the EH and ICC sets? They are pretty much the only options apart from Titanium Plating, which has a diminished value when you're Pursuit of Justice specced.

2. Furthermore, how exactly would 240 armor vs. 18 sta, or even 20 agi compare on gloves? I've been unsure about this, and from reading your analysis I still didn't get a clear picture about when one or the other enchant should be chosen in both cases.

Similarly, about the ICC set, you wrote:

Wrathy wrote:Bonus Armor when possible
Ensure Double Stamina trinkets

3. Where exactly would that put Glyph of Indomitability for ICC then?

Thanks again.
Theolol

Postby Wrathy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:18 pm

Theolol wrote:1. How exactly would 18 Sta or 20 Defense to shield compare, for the EH and ICC sets? They are pretty much the only options apart from Titanium Plating, which has a diminished value when you're Pursuit of Justice specced.

Most of your questions lay in the greyest of areas when we discuss gearing, enchanting and gemming. Digren wrote a great post about the relative benefits and Meloree and Theck crunched the numbers of relative gain. I personally have defense on my shield at the moment, because it was from ToTGC where I valued a holistic set more, where as for ICC, I will be going with 18 stamina. While it does not seem like much, none of the sacrifices you make for stacking stam do, but they add up in the long run.

Theolol wrote:2. Furthermore, how exactly would 240 armor vs. 18 sta, or even 20 agi compare on gloves? I've been unsure about this, and from reading your analysis I still didn't get a clear picture about when one or the other enchant should be chosen in both cases.

To me those are situational for the piece of gear you have. Once I have all three gloves that I want to use, I would go 240 armor on the Kraken, 18 Stam on the T10 gloves, and 20 agi on my threat gloves (DPS gloves which i forgot the name of 264 gloves with expertise on them).

Theolol wrote:3. Where exactly would that put Glyph of Indomitability for ICC then?

I've been away from MainTankadin for about a week, and I need to update my sets a bit. The Long discussion on the value of armor has modified my views on armor. While I always thought it was a great stat and would use bonus armor pieces when ever possible, The Glyph and the Organ have great uses. I use them every week on blood queen to mitigate as much damage as possible.

Over the next few days I will update the post, however in the end, trinkets are your most versatile slot and you can mix and match them to give you the most of what ever stat you know will help you on any given fight.

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice