Remove Advertisements

Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:27 am

Having just finished Mass Effect 2 recently, I can safely say it was one of the best RPG games I have ever played ( and I did go through BG, Diablo, Neverwinter, KOTOR, Risen etc. ).

While the inventory system is simplified, that is not necessary a bad thing, though I did find annoying I could only get another set of armor for any of companions. Still I can understand Bioware wanted to give each of your companions a unique look that made them stand out, and I find that a great thing.

As for story, saying that it's epic and deep would not even begin to do it justice. Its the only RPG game where, in some cases, I could not bring myself to do anything but be the good guy ( especially in the case of a certain squad member's quest ).

When you lead your people in the final battle, and see some of them die ( as happened to me when I just wanted to see what could happen ) it hits you, and if the squad member that dies is your romance option it hits you hard ( knowing that they died because of your decisions ). When you complete it with no one dying it feels like a great sense of accomplishment ( even more so on insanity )

So ye, pretty epic game. Definitely a great RPG, perhaps even game of 2010.
User avatar
Io.Draco
 
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:33 am

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby hoho » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:31 am

Haven't played ME2 yet but after half a day of ME1 it seemed rather boring.

Though my general despise of gamepads as controllers might have something to do with it ^^
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
User avatar
hoho
 
Posts: 2445
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:35 am

ME 2 is also for PC. ME 1 was also ported in 2008 from Xbox to PC.
User avatar
Io.Draco
 
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:33 am

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby hoho » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:39 am

I know but first they must make it support proper OS'es like wow does :P
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
User avatar
hoho
 
Posts: 2445
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:01 am

I played through ME1 and loved it. Then something went screwy with my 360's hard disk and I lost my fecking save, so currently in the middle of another playthrough so I can have a completed save for ME2. (Yes, I know you can start fresh, but feck that, this is a feature I've wanted in an RPG since forever! Plus I'm gonna have to wait a couple of weeks until I can get ME2.)

The second playthrough of ME1 is reminding me of all the things I hated about the first playthrough: the massive amount of dialogue required before you can do anything, the horrendous vehicle sections, and the entirely resource-based healing mechanic (would it have killed em to have a biotic healing spell?).

I'm hoping ME2 fixes some of these gripes at least. Or failing that gives me an Alcor buddy. Or lets me play as an Alcor. An Alcor actor. An Alcor actor doing Hamlet.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
User avatar
ulushnar
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Bollocks, Scotland

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby Talderas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:05 am

Man, hearing people talk about ME2 makes me want to go buy ME1 and play it, but first I have to beat Dragon Age.
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
User avatar
Talderas
 
Posts: 1296
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:40 am
Location: BRbashi

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:10 am

I have to say as a game in the same position as ME1 (a Bioware RPG designed to introduce an entirely new setting), I found Dragon Age a lot more satisfying. It just felt tighter and a lot more engaging. Of course the lack of vehicle sections probably helped.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
User avatar
ulushnar
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Bollocks, Scotland

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby Dakiros » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:15 am

ulushnar wrote:I played through ME1 and loved it. Then something went screwy with my 360's hard disk and I lost my fecking save, so currently in the middle of another playthrough so I can have a completed save for ME2. (Yes, I know you can start fresh, but feck that, this is a feature I've wanted in an RPG since forever! Plus I'm gonna have to wait a couple of weeks until I can get ME2.)

The second playthrough of ME1 is reminding me of all the things I hated about the first playthrough: the massive amount of dialogue required before you can do anything, the horrendous vehicle sections, and the entirely resource-based healing mechanic (would it have killed em to have a biotic healing spell?).

I'm hoping ME2 fixes some of these gripes at least. Or failing that gives me an Alcor buddy. Or lets me play as an Alcor. An Alcor actor. An Alcor actor doing Hamlet.


You might not actually have to play through ME1 again. In an effort to make space on that anemic 360 HDD I intended to delete the DLC from ME1 but deleted ALL the files my gf and I had on there relating to ME1 including all our saves. She played through it again (she already had 4 complete saves, what's 1 more?) but I was only about halfway through mine when ME2 came out. Fired up the game and it found my completed game despite the fact that I had deleted the file long ago. I don't know where it determines your previous play through but its not only by the save file, maybe achievements?

The vehicle sections are gone. The healing mechanic is more like most modern shooters, as you get hit your screen starts to turn red and you recover health and shields as you are in cover. In fact the combat in general is much more similar to other shooters than to the combat from ME1. There still is a lot of dialogue but its a Bioware RPG, you're not gonna get away from that.

As for the elcor... disappointed reponse...
User avatar
Dakiros
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:46 am

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:20 am

Dakiros wrote:
ulushnar wrote:I played through ME1 and loved it. Then something went screwy with my 360's hard disk and I lost my fecking save, so currently in the middle of another playthrough so I can have a completed save for ME2. (Yes, I know you can start fresh, but feck that, this is a feature I've wanted in an RPG since forever! Plus I'm gonna have to wait a couple of weeks until I can get ME2.)

The second playthrough of ME1 is reminding me of all the things I hated about the first playthrough: the massive amount of dialogue required before you can do anything, the horrendous vehicle sections, and the entirely resource-based healing mechanic (would it have killed em to have a biotic healing spell?).

I'm hoping ME2 fixes some of these gripes at least. Or failing that gives me an Alcor buddy. Or lets me play as an Alcor. An Alcor actor. An Alcor actor doing Hamlet.


You might not actually have to play through ME1 again. In an effort to make space on that anemic 360 HDD I intended to delete the DLC from ME1 but deleted ALL the files my gf and I had on there relating to ME1 including all our saves. She played through it again (she already had 4 complete saves, what's 1 more?) but I was only about halfway through mine when ME2 came out. Fired up the game and it found my completed game despite the fact that I had deleted the file long ago. I don't know where it determines your previous play through but its not only by the save file, maybe achievements?

The vehicle sections are gone. The healing mechanic is more like most modern shooters, as you get hit your screen starts to turn red and you recover health and shields as you are in cover. In fact the combat in general is much more similar to other shooters than to the combat from ME1. There still is a lot of dialogue but its a Bioware RPG, you're not gonna get away from that.

As for the elcor... disappointed reponse...


Weary sigh... Ah well, playing through the game again is something to do whilst I wait for payday to grab the sequel. Still I'll be happier to be reunited with my lesbian Vanguard than I will playing my rather generic Sentinel (the most advanced of my surviving saves, and I wanted one because I hate the voice actor playing Kadien most of all. Carth Onasi diediedie!)
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
User avatar
ulushnar
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Bollocks, Scotland

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby culhag » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:00 am

For those playing on the PC, if for whatever reason you don't have your saves from ME1, there's a site someone made that offers a wide choice of save files with most variations of choices made in ME1 to start with.

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/

Note that you can rework the appearance of Shepherd after importing the file.


(I haven't tried it myself, I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive)
User avatar
culhag
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:50 am
Location: France

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:42 am

Yeah, I saw the link on Penny Arcade, it's almost making me consider getting the PC version of ME1 and ME2. But goddammit, I've got my achieves on the Xbox and I'll damned well keep playing on it.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
User avatar
ulushnar
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5442
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am
Location: Bollocks, Scotland

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby Hearthvaderr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:53 am

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
User avatar
Hearthvaderr
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:34 am

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby Dorvan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Yo Mass Effect, I'm happy for you and I'ma let you finish, but Final Fantasy is the best RPG series of all time!
Last edited by Dorvan on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
User avatar
Dorvan
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8462
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:28 pm

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby Berlyna » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Dakiros wrote:As for the elcor... disappointed reponse...


There is an advertisement for Hamlet with an Elcor cast in the Citadel, with audio of an Elcor reciting the play. The first time I heard it I couldn't stop laughing.
70 Human Paladin on Uldum
Berlyna
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:27 pm

Re: Mass Effect - Best RPG series of all time?

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:15 pm

ulushnar wrote:Yeah, I saw the link on Penny Arcade, it's almost making me consider getting the PC version of ME1 and ME2. But goddammit, I've got my achieves on the Xbox and I'll damned well keep playing on it.


The achievements don't carry any weight from ME1 to ME2. Only that cash achievement which merely gives you some bonus credits and resources.
User avatar
Io.Draco
 
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:33 am

Next

Return to Other Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 1 guest