Remove Advertisements

Opinions on Consecration

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Opinions on Consecration

Postby xstratax » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:28 am

I posted a "theory" post on the official forums (if only there werent so many freaking trolls), and I wanted to get opinions from real Paladin tanks, who know their stuff, and can perhaps expand the idea.

The basics of it for those who dont click over, is that Consecrate gets picked on in the community far too much, and that when you compare only the mass AoE abilities (as in hits 5 or more targets) you find that Paladins get the short end of the stick for AoE threat, and Druids get the top spot with Swipe spam (which I know is only sustainable against multiple targets). Other than the druid, our AoE is easiest to keep up 100%, but does that really make up for low Damage and threat on non Demon/Undead targets?
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Re: Opinions on Consecration

Postby Jasari » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:00 am

It's extremely short sited to "only compare mass AOE abilities".

If a Paladin hits consecrate and stands still doing nothing for 8 seconds while a Druid is spamming swipe constantly during those 8 seconds, of course the Druid is going to do some more threat. But that's not what actually happens. As a Paladin, you use one GCD to put down consecrate and are able to also use HS and HotR for some AOE threat along with SoCleave and Judging/ShoRing stuff.

Other than the druid, our AoE is easiest to keep up 100%, but does that really make up for low Damage and threat on non Demon/Undead targets?

Judging from the Prot Paladins doing upward for 6k DPS in heroics, I don't think it's accurate to say you have low damage/threat on anything.
Jasari

Postby kanst » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:11 am

In my experience pallies actually have the best threat of any tank in AOE situations. If you look at heroics, it is rare that I dont do more dps then the dpsers and that is just aoe tanking. In ICC on AOE trash packs I can consistently do upwards of 5-6k dps
kanst

Postby bldavis » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:20 am

god in ICC ive hit 7k on a 7 mob trash pack (solo tanking rep run), and one of our dps rage quit becuase he was only doing 5k LOL :twisted:

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby rathe » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:29 am

Really depends on the context of the aoe. If it's already on the target, consecrate is amazing. If you're picking up adds that have a ways to run, consecrate is the worst. though I do think he's right in that the community only sees consecrate for its good traits (easily sustainable high tps) and not for its bad (one spot, have to run to the spot, low burst tps can't pull off a healer tps)
Snake-Aes wrote:Well... sometimes being obnoxious works.
http://us.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&cn=Bloodrathe&gn=Nidh%C3%B6gg
rathe
Maintankadonor

Postby kysu » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Consecration isn't what is used to be, it keeps threat from healers ... that is all.

It's everything else is why we win.
kysu

Postby Jazmine » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:19 pm

It doesn't scale well at lvl 80 imo.

When u level as prot tanking instances, consecration generates a lot of threat. Once u hit lvl 80 and run instances, the threat can barely compete with a DKs DND or a warriors TS.

If u were going to start an aoe pull, if u drop a Consecrate down while the mobs are on there, warriors or DK can just run up at same time, DND or TS and snap all the mobs to them.
Jazmine

Postby xstratax » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 pm

Thats really all my original idea was, to try and get away from this OP Consecration thought that is held in the community. Of course trolls, and lack of focus while typing out the post kind of made it a bit muddied.
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Postby Dem » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:57 am

Consecrate doesn't give you instant stickiness as it used to do in BC, example - small drake adds spawns at Sarth.
It does however add significantly to static AOE threat and if you look at your damage logs it is also a significant portion of damage.

SoC and Hammer which can be glyphed for 4 adds however is a very easy and solid AOE pickup.
Dem

Postby Anorian » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:19 am

Atm we win on aoe threat because of hammer and seal of cleave. Numbers can get quite ridiculous with some dps gear in large aoe packs, and in most heroics no one can even begin to touch my dmg. Consecration adds a nice amount of dmg and threat to all mobs but on it's nowhere near enough to keep aggro over anything. You definitely need to tab target and hit everything, which is significantly easier with SoC.
Anorian

Postby Barathorn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Dem wrote:Consecrate doesn't give you instant stickiness as it used to do in BC, example - small drake adds spawns at Sarth.
It does however add significantly to static AOE threat and if you look at your damage logs it is also a significant portion of damage.

SoC and Hammer which can be glyphed for 4 adds however is a very easy and solid AOE pickup.

I agree with Dem. Bolded is the important bit, people still think that yellow ground means it is impossible to pull aggro from the tank. This shows nothing but ignorance for the mechanics of the Paladin tank and while that is no-ones fault it does actually mean that as a Paladin you do have to work harder now that in TBC.

This is a good thing. It makes us work harder. This is what we wanted. Consecrate does make up a significant amount of our damage, but it is no longer the 'glue' we rely upon. We now have other toys :).

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby PsiVen » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:39 pm

I'm not convinced it was ever as powerful as you guys make it out to be, but our advantage on AoE threat has certainly slimmed in WotLK from the gaping chasm of TBC's "Paladins are the only AoE tanks in the game because that's all they're good for".

We still have the best sustained threat and damage thanks to HotR, SoV, and Consecration. Warriors do quite well with Damage Shield, rage tanks have the AoE snap threat advantage, and we scale slightly worse than others as the size of the pack increases, but in most situations we hold the upper hand.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Alandrek » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:45 am

PsiVen wrote:I'm not convinced it was ever as powerful as you guys make it out to be

Consecration used to scale insanely well with SP, to the point that it was commonly our top source of damage in T6 content (even on bosses) prior to the 3.0 changes. Its coefficients were greatly nerfed in 3.0, which is why the Consecration libram from Naxx was terrible and it's now #4 or #5 for damage.

We still have the best sustained threat and damage thanks to HotR, SoV, and Consecration.

Absolutely, especially in AoE situations.
Alandrek

Postby gnarliness » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:32 am

I don't know about the rest of our paladins but in a situation with more than 5 mobs I am constantly tabbing through my targets looking for the dps who is closest to pulling on omen and hitting either a judgement, hammer or shield on each mob as I go, while this sounds like a no brainer the biggest thing it does is stack SoV on all my targets plus keeping it refreshed, I find it fairly easy to keep SoV up on 5-7 targets at a time and a lot of the time in heroics I will skip consecrate just to practice this technique.

Penny
gnarliness

Postby Kalin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Dropped Consc. from my heroic 5 rotation weeks ago. It's not worth the mana for the tps generated. I do the tab target rotation for judgments etc, more fun for me than standing in consc.

In ICC 10/25, sure, works great on add packs - extra tps ftw. Also, I've been using consc very effectively on Deathwhisper as a pickup mechanism on one of the adds. Drop consc in the furthest left alcove, taunt #2 (center alcove), and AS #3. Not much tps, but enough to get the mob to me so I can hammer 'em in the face. Drive by judgment and consecration on Deathwhisper herself is fun when you are running between add packs - not necessary, but idc. It's better than standing around for 12 - 15 seconds. :-)

-Kalin
Kalin

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations