Shields: wtf is up with these? All armor giving n stuff

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Shields: wtf is up with these? All armor giving n stuff

Postby Invisusira » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:02 pm

Ok, I have always wondered this. Perhaps someone can supply me with an answer.

Why does Blizzard put +block value on shields? They have this on many, many tanking shields in the game. Example:

Shield of Impenetrable Darkness
122 Block
Equip: Increases the block value of your shield by 33.

Why not just say "155 Block"?

Please enter your typed, double spaced answers below this sig:
User avatar
Invisusira
Moderator
 
Posts: 9021
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: alt-tabbed

Postby Worldie » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:04 pm

I think it works like this:

The block value is related to the armor, meaning that there's some math that gives the BV from the armor.
If you check, shields with same armor have same Block Value.

Now, if they want to add BV to a shield without having to increase the armor, the only way to do is the "Equip" effect.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13424
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Postby Zhalseran » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:07 pm

I believe that the core block value scales directly with the item level, while the added stats are made up from the item budget for an item of that level
User avatar
Zhalseran
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:18 pm

Postby Invisusira » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:08 pm

Hmm, it appears you are right Worldie! ty! ^^
User avatar
Invisusira
Moderator
 
Posts: 9021
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: alt-tabbed

Postby Alacia » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:37 am

Yet, the above comments would apply to armor, which is instead listed as "green" on those items with additional armor above their iLvl/armor class instead of having the extra armor as Equip:. It would make sense to do the same for block value imo.
Alacia
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:28 pm

Re: Shields: wtf is up with these? All armor giving n stuff

Postby fiorina » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:53 pm

Invisusira wrote:Ok, I have always wondered this. Perhaps someone can supply me with an answer.

Why does Blizzard put +block value on shields? They have this on many, many tanking shields in the game. Example:

Shield of Impenetrable Darkness
122 Block
Equip: Increases the block value of your shield by 33.

Why not just say "155 Block"?

Please enter your typed, double spaced answers below this sig:


I think talents have something to do with it. Can't remember but it was like one value could be affected by some talents and another by another talents, or something like that :)

I know, very helpfull :)
User avatar
fiorina
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Postby Rasmfrackn » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:18 pm

As worldie said, it's an "item level determines armor and block value" thing.

Now that you mention it, though, they probably should put bonus armor as a separate mod, too... feral gear and the felsteel set are prime examples of gear with "extra" armor on them. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a "+184 armor" modifier instead of just making the number green? Basically the opposite of what Alacia said. :)
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
User avatar
Rasmfrackn
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:11 pm

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:50 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:As worldie said, it's an "item level determines armor and block value" thing.

Now that you mention it, though, they probably should put bonus armor as a separate mod, too... feral gear and the felsteel set are prime examples of gear with "extra" armor on them. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a "+184 armor" modifier instead of just making the number green? Basically the opposite of what Alacia said. :)


It would, and I have no idea why they never did that the same way they do it with block value.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10473
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Postby Vanifae » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:37 pm

I think Blizzard is fucking with us again.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
User avatar
Vanifae
 
Posts: 7123
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 am

Postby Saldii » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:44 pm

+ to block value of sheild is put in the game so warrior tanks can gain more aggro from sheild slam, +block value == higher sheild slam crits which means more aggro, it really does dick for pally tanks (i *think*)


Quote form tankspot:
The basic equation is:
(BD + (SBV *1.3)) * 1.1

Where BD is Base Damage and SBV is Shield Block Value.
1.3 Represents Shield Mastery 30% Damage Increase
1.1 Represents One-Handed Specialization 10% Damage Increase


For example, an average Rank 6 Shield Slam will deal 430 Base Damage. Let's assume 750 Shield Block Value. Here's what some numbers would look like:

1405 * 1.1 * 1.2 * 2.2 = 3709 Shield Slam Crit (Impale/Deathwish)
1405 * 1.1 * 2.2 = 3400 Shield Slam Crit (Impale)
1405 * 1.1 * 2 = 3091 Normal Shield Slam Crit


Did some more research into it, and it does help *us* too, by increasing the amount of incomming damage we block with a sheild.


How to calculate your amount of damage midigated by blocking.
Source wowwiki:
X = [(Shield block value * 1.3) + ((Strength / 20) - 1)].
Saldii
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:13 pm

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:05 am

IIRC there was a warrior talent way back when that increased passive BV but not "on equip" BV. They change the talent (obviously) but itemization and their preciousssss spreadsheets and ilevel algos mean the odd passive/on equip get left in game.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Postby Worldie » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:49 am

I just found a more obvious reason.

If the added block value was shown with green block value, what to do with items that add to BV but are not shields :?:
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13424
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Postby QuantumDelta » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:19 am

You had it right first time Worldie, and Fuzzy finished up (partially anyway).

When a Blizz Dev designs a shield, the first thing that put in, is the iLevel and item ID.

Then they name it.
Then they start adding stats to the pre-generated shield using iPoints available from the iLevel.
By default, when you input an iLevel for a specific type of item, their creation program reads from a set of predefined parameters (Item is Shield, Item has iLevel, so armour and bV will read as: ipoints available x).
Block Value is a stat that ipoints can be spent on, and some shields are simply done in that fashion.

Armour being especially spent on items has always been in the game, but always displayed in white (they have been present for the benefit of feral druids), it is only recently Blizzard decided to make these special armour-benefited items obvious by adding green text to their armour.

They could re-do it, but it would be a pointless change from their point of view.
Pointless from mine as well.

*Post filled with reasoned assumptions.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
Image
User avatar
QuantumDelta
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:31 am

Postby Belarkan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:25 am

Zhalseran wrote:I believe that the core block value scales directly with the item level, while the added stats are made up from the item budget for an item of that level


Agreed on that.
I think healing / spell damage / tanking shield basically gets the same block/armor values and then they give different budget costs
Belarkan
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:32 am


Return to Basic Training & Talents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 4 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest