Parry Hasting Addon

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Parry Hasting Addon

Postby Tbdsamman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:43 pm

Prefix: After reading a post here about trying to compile a list of all raid bosses that have parry hasting enabled, I decided I wanted to help compile this list and thought instead of going through combat logs I could write an addon that would tell you when a boss has received parry hasting through you or someone in your party or raid.

A few days ago I started writing an addon that would inform you when a boss received parry hasting from you or someone in your party or raid. My intention with this addon is to let tanks know when a DPS has caused them to take a little spike damage, how much expertise would reduce the spike damage they take and to prove if a boss has parry hasting enabled or not without the need for blue to confirm it.

After getting a prototype working, I have come to the point where community input becomes very crucial to improving the quality and hopefully getting the addon to a beta (and later, a release) state. Aside from the usual feature requests and bugs reports, I require a database of what spells bosses cast that will reset their swing timer to give accurate parry haste warnings after a spell is used.

First thing you can do is look at the addon which is hosted on CurseForge at Parry Hasting - WoW AddOns - CurseForge.com. If you want to see it in action, you can download and try it out with the currently watched NPCs which are: Trial of the Champion (for testing, Horde champions only), Trial of the Crusader and Icecrown Citadel. None of them NPCs have a complete database of what resets their swing timers so it won't pick up parry hasting after they cast. Also the only reporting mechanism so far is debug messages so you will get chatframe spam when it detects parries and when the NPC's attack speed changes (buff/debuffs falling on and off).

The second thing you can do is help flush out the feature list, report any bugs you have found and help build the database of spells that reset the swing timer and spells that can be parry hasted (either by determining it yourself or sending me your raw combat logs of a boss fight to tbdsamman at gmail dot com).

I appreciate and value all suggestions, comments and criticisms.

While this post could have gone in the addon forum, it is still in the theory and mechanics development part and is not ready for wide spread usage.
Tbdsamman

Re: Parry Hasting Addon

Postby theckhd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:50 am

I will download this tonight and give you my feedback. Though you'll have to wait until Tuesday to get much data from me, since the only boss we're fighting tonight is Blood Queen.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Tbdsamman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:12 am

After being dragged into a 25 Ony pug by a few guildies, I got to try the addon out with Onyxia. Since the pug was pretty bad it was quite hecktic and I only snapped one screenshot of when an elemental shaman parry hasted the boss. Why an elemental shaman was meleeing the boss is beyond me, why he was even in melee range is even farther beyond me.

intoST means how far into the swing timer was the parry, in percent. >100% means it was after her next expected attack and since I didn't put in her abilities that reset her swing timer, it happened quite often.

Tbdsamman

Postby theckhd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Will I be able to keep this updated with Curse Client yet? I don't remember how they've arranged curseforge with respect to that.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Tbdsamman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:11 pm

theckhd wrote:Will I be able to keep this updated with Curse Client yet? I don't remember how they've arranged curseforge with respect to that.

I was able to update it while it was installed and after uninstalling it, I can search for it, find and install it.
Tbdsamman

Postby theckhd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:21 pm

Tbdsamman wrote:I was able to update it while it was installed and after uninstalling it, I can search for it, find and install it.

Great, I use the client almost exclusively, so that'll make it much easier for me to keep it updated and give you feedback relevant to the current build.
theckhd

Postby Tbdsamman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:10 pm

theckhd wrote:
Tbdsamman wrote:I was able to update it while it was installed and after uninstalling it, I can search for it, find and install it.

Great, I use the client almost exclusively, so that'll make it much easier for me to keep it updated and give you feedback relevant to the current build.

I'm really liking CurseForge so far. SVN with automatic packaging is going to be very nice once this is stable.
Tbdsamman

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Tbdsamman wrote:
theckhd wrote:

I'm really liking CurseForge so far. SVN with automatic packaging is going to be very nice once this is stable.

yeah I do like CurseForge
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby lralexl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:20 am

I used it for tonight's 10 man, so far so good... it shows when a player triggers a parry haste etc. like it's supposed to.

I was unaware that hunters could trigger parry haste though, perhaps he moved into melee range.
lralexl

Postby Tbdsamman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:31 am

lralexl wrote:I used it for tonight's 10 man, so far so good... it shows when a player triggers a parry haste etc. like it's supposed to.

I was unaware that hunters could trigger parry haste though, perhaps he moved into melee range.

Yeah, so far what it is able to detect seems to be very accurate. The addon doesn't care about what player abilities cause a parry, only that they did cause a parry.

After running the addon during 10m ICC I recorded parry hasting with a few bosses and found a significant bug that should be easily fixed.

Lord Marrowgar: Enabled
Lady Deathwhisper: bug (doesn't melee attack until shield is dropped)
Gunship: N/A
Saurfang: Enabled
Festergut: Disabled
Rotface: Unsure, tank was almost exp hard capped

I didn't snap screenshots of the last bosses but I recall most have hasting turned off from this point on. I'll post screenshots tomorrow when I'm not so tired.
Tbdsamman

Postby theckhd » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 am

lralexl wrote:I was unaware that hunters could trigger parry haste though, perhaps he moved into melee range.

Maybe the addon detected a deflect (ranged parry)? I was under the impression these didn't cause parry haste in the general case (though HotR deflects do), but I don't know that I've ever seen a data set proving it.

I'll be running the addon tonight for 25's.
theckhd

Postby Ardrhyst » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:25 am

Just wanted to weigh in and say that I think this is an awesome idea, and thanks for writing up this mod. I'll be running it tonight in my 25 to see what I can find.

Props!
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

Postby Anorian » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:34 am

if i can remember il download it as well, so i can shout at the melee for hitting stuff from the front :D
Anorian

Postby Tbdsamman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:39 am

theckhd wrote:
lralexl wrote:I was unaware that hunters could trigger parry haste though, perhaps he moved into melee range.

Maybe the addon detected a deflect (ranged parry)? I was under the impression these didn't cause parry haste in the general case (though HotR deflects do), but I don't know that I've ever seen a data set proving it.

I'll be running the addon tonight for 25's.

They changed hunter's ranged attacks a long time ago to not be parryable.
Tbdsamman

Postby Kohel » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:59 am

I'll download it after school today and try it during 10m ICC tonight.
Kohel

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations