Advice with Spec and gear please

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Advice with Spec and gear please

Postby moneypenny » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:57 pm

just wondering if someone can have a look at my gear and also spec, i tank alot of 25 mans and 10 and i am defence capped and was wondering since my health is pretty good what i should be geming for i have read through the forums and im unsure whether to be gemming for dodge or expertise .Would it be better to use, http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47273 to get the exp to 26 rather than the 4 setbonus in tier gear..
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Moneypenny

any advice would be great thankyou..
Last edited by moneypenny on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moneypenny

Re: Advice with Spec and gear please

Postby moneypenny » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:31 am

bump anyone?
moneypenny

Postby Anorian » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:33 am

your armory link doesn't work :D
Anorian

Postby moneypenny » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:09 pm

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Moneypenny there ya go hope that a bit more helpful..
moneypenny

Postby moneypenny » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:55 am

bump
moneypenny

Postby Anorian » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:07 am

It really depends what you tank the first hard hitting boss is Festergut on 25, or hardmodes in ToGC, but it is general consensus that stacking stamina is the way to go atm. You have several hybrid gems while you only need 1 purple gem to activate the meta gem.

First change your head enchant, it sucks get the one from argent crusade and enchant your boots.

The onyxia trinket is okay for avoidance but EH usually wins got any to replace that?

Gemming for threat shouldn't be necessary ever, if you really want to use all socket bonuses go for agi/stam imo. Or dodge if you really prefer avoidance over armor. Most people just stack stamina besides the one purple gem for the meta.

On the pants, just ask yourself are you ever in the position where you wanted to use bubblewall where it was still on cd, if so go for 4 piece otherwise the jarax pants are better.

Other than that i'd go for the cloak first from badges seeing thats by far your worst piece of gear atm.

Your spec seems fine,although i'd move 1 point from conviction to PoJ.
Anorian

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:42 am

Just a few comments.

Spec: Seems fine, though I question the wisdom of taking 1/2 PoJ. That's always felt like an "all or nothing" talent to me, because if you value the 8% run speed enough to pass up one point in Conviction, you tend to value the next 7% as well. Given that Conviction is a very weak threat talent anyway, you'd probably be better off switching to the default Vindication/SoCom/PoJ distribution in T3 of Ret and foregoing Conviction entirely.

Gear: You have enough expertise from Shoulders/Amulet/Cloak/Bracers to be over the expertise soft-cap (you only need 82 rating with proper glyphs and talents). So I'd say that gemming agility or dodge is probably better than gemming expertise.

The Nightmare Tear in your chest puzzles me a bit. A tear basically gives you 10 STR/AGI/STA, since INT and SPI are basically useless to us. You're using it to pick up a 9 stamina bonus, so you're trading 11 stamina for 10 agility and 10 strength. Since the strength doesn't give you any significant amount of survivability, this basically means that the Nightmare tear is a threat gem. If you really want the socket bonus, I'd use an Agi/Stam hybrid, otherwise just shove a solid zircon in there.

As far as the T9 4-piece bonus, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's nice, but by no means game-breaking. You'll want to be replacing your T9 with T10 eventually, especially thanks to the wonderful threat boost the 2-piece bonus provides.

Are you having threat issues? I noticed that with both your spec (and to a lesser extent your gear) you seem to be making threat choices.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby moneypenny » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Theheckd .> i did have some issues a few weeks ago and i put that down to my gear and the fact alot of the dps's gear was higher than mine but i have also just replaced quite a few pieces in the last week and have seen a vast improvement in my threat so it currently seems to be. The nightmare tear i put in on advice from someone who said it was better to have than any other gem since i was def cap etc but i was unsure, now i know better so i appreciate that (im not the best with maths lol).

i will have alook at my spec and move some stuff around i was thinking of moving into two tanks specs and having one with divine sacrifice and guardian.

Anorian..yeh the t4 bonus only fight i can see if benefit for would be festergut lol ...sry EH ?? trying to get a new tricket even ick rotting thumb but none seem to be droppping for me at the min..
moneypenny

Postby theckhd » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:44 am

moneypenny wrote:i will have alook at my spec and move some stuff around i was thinking of moving into two tanks specs and having one with divine sacrifice and guardian.

If you want a reasonably clear discussion of spec options, check out my Talent Guide. It's the only sticky in this forum.

moneypenny wrote:Anorian..yeh the t4 bonus only fight i can see if benefit for would be festergut lol ...sry EH ?? trying to get a new tricket even ick rotting thumb but none seem to be droppping for me at the min..

I don't think it's even necessary for Festergut. The tank-swapping mechanic doesn't let you tank two 3-stack phases in a row, and it's ~90 seconds between them. So you have around 180 seconds before you can tank your second one, by which time Forbearance is gone with or without the set bonus.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby moneypenny » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:55 am

thanks heck i will have a look your notes through sorry for the delay in answering been away.
and yeah the rotation and cooldowns for festergut is true..ty again :lol:
moneypenny

Postby Maratard » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:34 am

Should a noob to pally tanking just completely spec in prot to get started? Have heard a few opinions from non pally players, but would like to hear from the professionals. Thanks a bunch!
Maratard

Postby Anorian » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:04 am

Maratard wrote:Should a noob to pally tanking just completely spec in prot to get started? Have heard a few opinions from non pally players, but would like to hear from the professionals. Thanks a bunch!

Im not sure what you mean but I suggest you read the sticky's in the menu op top starting with Maintakadin 101
Anorian

Postby desizn104 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:05 am

This very question. Just learning the game has much more knowledge.
desizn104

Postby Vorianloken » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:51 am

moneypenny wrote:Theheckd .> i did have some issues a few weeks ago and i put that down to my gear and the fact alot of the dps's gear was higher than mine but i have also just replaced quite a few pieces in the last week and have seen a vast improvement in my threat so it currently seems to be. The nightmare tear i put in on advice from someone who said it was better to have than any other gem since i was def cap etc but i was unsure, now i know better so i appreciate that (im not the best with maths lol).

i will have alook at my spec and move some stuff around i was thinking of moving into two tanks specs and having one with divine sacrifice and guardian.

Anorian..yeh the t4 bonus only fight i can see if benefit for would be festergut lol ...sry EH ?? trying to get a new tricket even ick rotting thumb but none seem to be droppping for me at the min..

The only time I ever used my 4T9 was on gormok10 heroic /shrug
From my experience so far in icc - first 4 + festergut on 10/25 with attempts on rotface, I haven't really been in a situation where the 4pc would really affect my survivability.

And the general rule for tanking in icc is once you are at 541 defense (an extra for some weird rounding errors that pop up randomly) go all out for stam/armor in gems/enchants, with only the one red gem for activating meta. Some gimmick fights could affect that - avoidance stacking for saurfang was one i've heard (but not sure on) since he strikes fast for low damage.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Return to Basic Training & Talents