Remove Advertisements

Rate my tanking, and why am I always OOM nowerdays?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Rate my tanking, and why am I always OOM nowerdays?

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:25 pm

I completely agree - with careful mana management you can get through any instance without going oom.

Having said that, you can also mow your lawn with a push mower. I find power mowers, and my int trinket, make the job just a bit easier.

Mana management is an important thing to know how to do. But I already know how to do that. I just want to faceroll with a group of random scrubs to get my two frosties and be done with my daily chore.

I've been a tankadin for a couple expansions now, so mowing down content I massively outgear holds no challenge or interest at all. It's just the badges that I want from it. Make it fast, make it painless, and be done with it.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Thels » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:21 am

Falconcry wrote:Be careful that you are the one that starts fights though. A ToT/MD happy DPS could have you tanking the boss critable.

Shouldn't be a problem. I tank normal heroics (not ToC/ICC) in ret gear with a threat weapon/shield. For one thing, it stops the healers whining that 5 mans are boring.

Note, I usually take a guildie healer along. If we're pugging the healer, I just go in threat gear with DPS trinkets, and stay crit immune.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Kelaan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:49 am

Epimer wrote:VH, though, requires some careful mana management. Knowing that I can't keep DP rolling the whole time, I'll save it for the portals which spawn only one mob, because BoSanc and SA returns are going to be minimal. I'll drink after each boss pull, and will go oom pretty much as Cyanigosa hits the floor

I drink after nearly every pull in VH. Anytime I'm grouped with a mage, I'll grab four stacks of food, it lasts me all night. When I don't have a mage, I still have 40x drinks in my backpack. It's not hugely expensive.
Kelaan

Postby Wrathy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:05 am

Kelaan wrote:
Epimer wrote:VH, though, requires some careful mana management. Knowing that I can't keep DP rolling the whole time, I'll save it for the portals which spawn only one mob, because BoSanc and SA returns are going to be minimal. I'll drink after each boss pull, and will go oom pretty much as Cyanigosa hits the floor

I drink after nearly every pull in VH. Anytime I'm grouped with a mage, I'll grab four stacks of food, it lasts me all night. When I don't have a mage, I still have 40x drinks in my backpack. It's not hugely expensive.

I just use the rats in the cubbies to keep DP up.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:29 pm

Koatanga wrote:
sahiel wrote:It really is this simple for me, running low on mana? Pull more.

That's a good trick in VH - can I have your secret? Point being you can't always pull another group. Int trinket FTW.

Learn to use critters. Virtually everywhere has them and they have a very fast respawn rate, with a little effort you can keep DP up pretty much 100% of the time in any instance which should make your mana problems far less onerous.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby bentglasstube » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:43 pm

Ardrhyst wrote:Also, CoS is the bane of my existence.

I used to hate CoS, but I recently discovered a way to make it fun. At the end of the gauntlet, tell somone to talk to Arthas after about 10 seconds. Pull the timed boss and then run over to Mal'Ganis. Presto, two bosses at once!

Looking forward to springing that move on pugs is the only reason I don't drop group in CoS.
bentglasstube

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:42 pm

I always liked CoS - probably because pulling entire gauntlets at a time was fun and a bit OP.

But now I hate getting it. I can run most randoms in around 15 mins (sometimes less). CoS takes that long to get past the opening dialogue.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations