Sacred Shield Threat

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Sacred Shield Threat

Postby Playdoh » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:58 pm

This is a question that I am wondering what the math is behind it.

Does the absorption affect of Sacred Shield cause healing threat?

The Raid Leader noticed that my threat was going through the roof. I have been to my best to mix sacred shield into the rotation as much as possible. Either on myself or on him. Or in the case of ICC on the squishy's with blood boil (have grid set up to show me who has the buff).

He blames Sacred Shield for me getting threat on the blood beast. (I never attacked or did anything to them).

So I am wondering exactly how much tps does Sacred Shield generate with RF on?

I am absolutely horrible about coming up with the math to figure these things out, but I do understand it enough to put it into practise.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Re: Sacred Shield Threat

Postby Wrathy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:56 pm

The absorption from SS shouldn't be near enough to overcome the direct healing threat or dps threat of the people that are attacking the blood beasts. If you could post a parse of the fight, we may be able to help you figure out what the problem is.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Lakonikos » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:41 pm

Make sure your not using HotR right when they spawn.. It hits for lots of threat on them
Lakonikos

Postby jere » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:01 am

When I tested it, the Sacred Shield absorption affect did not generate threat. Buffing Sacred Shield did though. I haven't tested them since 3.3 came out though I doubt that has changed. Check my threat values guide. I have it over at Tankspot at the moment (at some point I need to put a copy over here), but I can't link it here cause TS is blocked by website. It should be in the guide listing there if you are interested (the Guides button near the top).
jere

Postby Shathus » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:38 am

jere wrote:When I tested it, the Sacred Shield absorption affect did not generate threat. Buffing Sacred Shield did though. I haven't tested them since 3.3 came out though I doubt that has changed. Check my threat values guide. I have it over at Tankspot at the moment (at some point I need to put a copy over here), but I can't link it here cause TS is blocked by website. It should be in the guide listing there if you are interested (the Guides button near the top).

Not tanking related, but buffing Beacon of Light may generate threat too. I was healing on an ICC25 the other week and we were LoS pulling the pack(s) of adds before Deathwhisper. Right as they were coming around the corner, I realized I had not beaconed the tank yet, I threw out the beacon and got smacked but 2 mobs coming around the corner immediately afterwards. So it's possible I just caught their attention, but it seemed like the applying of Beacon pissed them off too.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:42 am

Shathus wrote:Not tanking related, but buffing Beacon of Light may generate threat too.

Buffing anything that does not currently exist* on the buff target causes threat.

That may be wrong but I seem to never get initial group aggro when refreshing Earth Shield if it already exists on the tank.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:55 am

Applying a lot of buffs generates some level of threat. Though it's not a lot, it's enough to cover a face pull.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:35 pm

Flex wrote:
Shathus wrote:Not tanking related, but buffing Beacon of Light may generate threat too.

Buffing anything that does not currently exist* on the buff target causes threat.

That may be wrong but I seem to never get initial group aggro when refreshing Earth Shield if it already exists on the tank.

That's not always true. For example, refreshing sacred shield generates threat. And buffing holy shield for the first time does not.
jere

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:38 am

No buff-threat goes past a few hundred threat points. Any healing...just about any healing really...should catch those beasts before sacred shield.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:18 pm

This is a list of things I tested in 3.2.2:
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/397 ... 2-2-a.html

also check the notes section for a few buffs/debuffs I checked but found not to generate threat:

Sacred Shield procs
Reckoning
Redoubt
Vindication
JoW
JoL
SoJ stun
HW stun
Mana Regen (Divine Plea generates threat but everything else does not, including SA, SoW, and BoSanc)

All those are current as of 3.2.2

I haven't rechecked them for 3.3, but don't suspect any of them to change drastically.
jere

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations